Lower's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Hi lower

Did you use 3/4" for the transom and one 3/4" for the clamping board?

Did you make adjustment to the motorwell sides or lenghten/shorten the Hull sides and bottom?

Thanks

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Sorry, I didn't have much time to respond over the holidays. Bushmaster...I followed the plans. 3/8" ply--4 thick.

So, I did have a chance to work on the boat some during the holidays. I hoped to have gotten a lot more done, but unfortunalty you can only go as fast as the process allows. 3 nights a few hours each night...went something like this:

Stitch...problems...cut...stitch...not right...cut....stitch....curse....cut....stitch...measure...cut....go inside read forums...follow advice...stitch...still not right...cut...curse louder...remeasure everything....seems right...stitch....I think you get the point. Sound familiar Steve, Jeremy, Daniel???

I don't know why that was so hard. Spent all the time I had alloted for the boat on stitching! In the end I pretty much got it, but it sucked. Can't wait to move on!

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

10-12 hrs to stich the hull? thats not bad. It helps now that you can tab the panels & allow the fillet to cure
then just work on it when you have an odd 1/2hr or so.
one tip I will say works well is to get under the hull & tape up the back of the joints with packing tape.use the bag method for filleting,I only mixed up about a tennis ball size at a time.It really does save money on epoxy.
how about a pic? :D
it gets better from here as you will see progress 8)
regards,
steve

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Lower,
The stiching sounds about right, took me about 4 tries if I remember right, probally the worst part for me so far. After you do your fillets/glue, make for sure you round those chines and transom edges, I had some problems there :oops: didn't put enough radius on them.
Just getting to see the basic hull together is really exciting, thats when the fun begins.
:)
Daniel

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Thanks Lower,

Boy..i didn't realize it would be that involved.

I have just started to put together the molds, I will build every thing with molds except the transom. because when i take the hull off the molds will not exactly anyway.

You are looking GOOD MAN

davidtx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by davidtx »

Lower wrote:3 nights a few hours each night...went something like this:

Stitch...problems...cut...stitch...not right...cut....stitch....curse....cut....stitch...measure...cut....go inside read forums...follow advice...stitch...still not right...cut...curse louder...remeasure everything....seems right...stitch....I think you get the point. Sound familiar Steve, Jeremy, Daniel???
This is exactly where I am. At first I had to take blood pressure breaks. Now I've just accepted that I have lots of planing to do and it will eventually work out. Shooting for fair... But definitely harder than I thought it would be. A friend called it a 3-D jigsaw puzzle...

-david
See my blog: http://buildingtx18.blogspot.com/view or drop "view" from the end for the old interface

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Lower,
Looking great! I like the way you mounted your blocks! The stitching was probably the most aggrivating step so far. I can only guess what the future holds though:doh:
Jeremy :D

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Thanks for the comments guys. Steve...I'll give you props man. Your stiching looks textbook!

My stitching came out alright. Most areas look pretty good, but I do have a few 3/8" gaps or so. I realized a couple of my side panel splices weren't "perfect" meaning angled slightly, leaving a gap in that area. Also made it hard to align everything. Once I discovered that it made it a little easier. I allowed the gap to stay and worked around it. Pulling that gap tight really killed the bottom panel straightness. Oh...and getting to bow to come down was a $%#@% too.

Thanks for the tips though. I've already taped the underside. Now it's just time to break out the epoxy. Daniel...I'll be sure to round those edges down. I saw and learned from your experience. Thanks.

I'm just such a perfectionist...it's really hard to accept errors. I know in my head it's all fine, buy my science brain wants everything to be perfect! I keep saying to myself...It's your first boat...continue on...

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

repeat after me...............gaps are good...gaps are good
I am starting to think that there is good & good if you know what i mean :doh: I got mired in the swamp of unacheivable perfection as well 8O
you'll get it,have no fear 8)
steve

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

WOW...had to go to page 3 to find my thread...pretty sad...sorry.

Since the last post I have stiched and glued...

Fiberglassed...

and am now fairing...