New System Three Yacht Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New System Three Yacht Primer

Post by tech_support »

steve292 wrote: A tip if I may, after 2-3 days drying it will sand like a dream.......after a week it's a lot harder.
Steve
100% TRUE

I normally put one coat one, then sand it to expose any little fairing errors, then fix those with quick fair. Once I am satisfied that there will be no more fairing, I put around three coats of primer down. Before sanding the primer I "dust" the surface with some quick drying spray paint, this is called a "guide coat", then I sand with 180 or 220 (maybe 320 if Im using sterling topcoat), and you only sand until most of the guild coat dusting is gone - that way you have an indication to move on and not sand all the way through the primer.

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

I put on three coats this weekend. :D and I'm very pleased with the results. I should have followed your reccomendation above though Shine. I do have some pinholes that I need to fill with quick fair. So I'm planning to scuff those areas and fix them before I apply the guide coat for final 320 sanding.

:?: How soon can I apply quick fair over the yacht primer?

Thanks
Daniel

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

You can apply the qf as soon as the primer is dry, using the thumb test. I emailed System 3 about it, & the tech told me that, after filling the holes & sanding to reprime the area as the qf is slightly porous.
Steve
As a further reply to the time issue-
As Larry said, you can sand it after a long time, & it is still relativly easy to sand, but it is much easier still after a few days.
If it clogs 120 grit, it's not cured enough :D

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Thanks Steve. That's great news.

I wonder if you need to even sand the primer if applied before the 72 hour window. :?:

I think I'll give them a call. :D

Daniel

vcatlantic
New Poster
New Poster

Post by vcatlantic »

Hellow, this produst is transparent? be cause i have a wood boat and I want to see the grain :doh: , thanks

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

vcatlantic wrote:Hellow, this produst is transparent? be cause i have a wood boat and I want to see the grain :doh: , thanks
not at all, in fact it is designed to be as opaque as possible (what you want with a primer)

brandons
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brandons »

How much of this do I need for a GV11? A gallon is way more then I would like to spend on primer. A quart sounds more like it, $$$$$$ wise.

Also, do most people fair the complete outside of the hull or just from the "glass to level"? Right now I am setup for "glass to level" but I might have enough fairing putting to do the whole upper panels, bow, and transom.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

How much to fair depends on what quality finish you want. Some of these guys here fair the interior and I swear that Cracker Larry fairs the underneath side of his gunnels :D My point is decide what you want out of the boat and then work on getting there.

As to how much primer, I think it would take 2 qts to do inside and out, but that's a guess based on other primers I use and how thick you put it on, number of coats, etc. Maybe Joel can better answer the how much question for you.

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

2 quarts would be about right. That would probably give you 3 coats inside and out. One quart won't be enough.
I swear that Cracker Larry fairs the underneath side of his gunnels
What's wrong with that :doh: I fair everything I can reach :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Didn't say it was wrong, just pointing out that SOME PEOPLE (no names mentioned :wink: ) are a little more OCD than others when it comes to boat building. I can appreciate this as I tend to be OCD on things too, with a few exceptions. I had to decide early on that my boat is going to be about 85% workboat finish with only a few parts really faired nice otherwise it would have been a 3 year build on my FL14.

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)