New System Three Yacht Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
blindmullet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New System Three Yacht Primer

Post by blindmullet »

I just sprayed my 77' 17' Mako with this product over the weekend and it's great stuff. Easy to cleanup, flow was great out of the gun and low smell made it great for the backyard paint shop.

I want to thank the guys at BBC for great products/prices with quick shipping! Ordered another gallon and some quickfair Monday and I got it today..."ALL-SUM!"

jlintvet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jlintvet »

I rolled on two coats today. Went on great. I have a few spots to touch up with Quickfair. How long should I wait before putting down the Quickfair and sanding it out?

Jon

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

you need to let the primer cure before putting on QF. The primer shrinks a bit while it cures, so you cannot put anything over ti until its finished curing

jlintvet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jlintvet »

Thank you. So that is the 72 hours then?

Jon

jlintvet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jlintvet »

Quick question - put a coat of primer on the interior of the hull before I left town for several days. Back now and need to add a second coat to select spots that I previously sanded through. Do I need to sand before adding another coat or am I good to go. I didn't see this covered anywhere. Apologies if I missed it.

Thanks,
Jon

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

several days.... Yes, I would hit it quickly with the sander.

Here is the product literature, it may help

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/l ... rature.pdf

OysterBreath
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OysterBreath »

I started using this system three primer about a month ago. I have to say this stuff is awesome. It mixes very well. It's SUPER easy to tell when the two parts are FULLY mixed. It goes on really well. It's a really hard surface when it has fully cured too. It's got great working time too. I don't have a single run. The ONLY negative comment I have is that the color is a bit dark. If this stuff was white or a lighter shade of grey it would be perfect!

bear41
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bear41 »

Would the S3 Primer work as a primer coat beneath trinadad anti fouling bottom paint? I have sanded the bottom of my Tartan TOCK and would like to prime it before bottom paint, and I like S3 products, but is the yacht primer for below the water line?
Thanks
ED

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

According to the paint literature, yes, it is well suited for that application....

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/l ... rature.pdf

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Epoxy based. It is for below the waterline. But let it fully cure first as said in the links above and app notes.

Technically, most finish system manufacturers insist that you use their own primer for proper compatibility, to keep any warranty and support from becoming void. There are some epoxy primer compatibility issues with some topcoats, at least a few years back. That may be a thing of the past now. I am not an authoritative voice on this! But I haven't heard yet one problem with using S3 primer with some other system bottom paint. That doesn't mean there aren't bad combos, but I haven't heard them. Proper prep is essential for primer and bottom paint. It wouldn't hurt (I hope) to give the Trinidad folks a call first. They may want to know the formulation of the S3 primer, if they are even willing to take the time. I chatted with an Interlux rep for over an hour, at a retailer. No crowds waiting so he didn't mind getting technical, but bottom line, naturally, he offered no guarantee when straying from their own primer. It seems that once fully cured, the S3 primer is basically a safe and sure epoxy substrate for any additional finish system, but I am not an authoritative voice on this. The bottom paint folks might say fine, or, to apply their primer over it. I like S3 primer too and would probably use it as a final substrate fair/prep before another primer anyway. It is very predictable and easy to apply. :)