GK's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GK's V10

Post by Doc_Dyer »

Cracker Larry wrote:Heck yeah, stripes make everything faster. If you call them racing stripes they will go faster yet :lol: Nice work GK. When do we get to see you and Bradley match racing? You aren't coming to Boca Grande this year?
If I can tote it to Boca, I can take it Ga anytime :wink:

Sounds fun...... Except I'm no sailor :oops:
But it would be nice to compare 8)

Bradley
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Cracker Larry wrote:When do we get to see you and Bradley match racing? You aren't coming to Boca Grande this year?
Wish I could but within the next couple of weeks I'm finally going to buy my little slice of paradise. Depending on how the extra fees hit my bank account, I may have to endure a couple more months of my self-imposed austerity. By the time I know the total bill, it may be too late to find a room anywhere near. I'm going to make a day trip down to the Cedar Key Messabout, if nothing else.
Sounds fun...... Except I'm no sailor
From time to time, I wonder about my own sailing skills.
But it would be nice to compare
Will you still be on St. Joe Bay the Friday after Boca?
CC, D15, V10

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If I can tote it to Boca, I can take it Ga anytime
GK has been to Crystal River a couple of times for past meets, the first time I met him he was heading down Crystal River in his D15 and I was heading up in my GF16. We recognized each other right away 8) Boca Grande is only a couple 3 hours more than that. 500 miles one way for me, but I'll be there :lol: Must be 7 or 8 hundred for you and Andy. Come on and join us Gary :D
Sounds fun...... Except I'm no sailor
Heck Doc, I'll sail her in your place and swap you the keys to No Excuse. It don't matter if I lose, does it? Come get me if I get blown offshore towards Cuba, they don't like me there :lol:

Edit:
I'm finally going to buy my little slice of paradise.
Tell us more about your piece of paradise, that sounds great 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

GK yes tell us more of your little slice of paradise. Larry has his and I have my two. Can't happen to a better man! 8)

Best wishes!

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Here are some more thoughts on the peeling problem with S3 clear and bright work. :)

gk108

Post by gk108 »

More testing of the new spars. I think they are matched up with the rest of the rig now. With the teardrop shape of the mast, I changed from spiral lacing the sail to robands. Jacques is right on the money when he recommends robands as the most controllable method of bending a sail on the mast.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84423075
Lots of puffs and lulls, breeze curling around points of land and gator wakes which rhymes with freighter wakes. I spent most of the afternoon working my way upwind so I could make a nice downwind run with the boom swung out past 90° for some downwind lift. Dunno why I'm the only one I ever see sailing a boat on Lake Seminole. :doh:
Some video on the way, as soon as I edit it. 8)
CC, D15, V10

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Some stills from the tillercam video:
It was a sunny day.

Note the wrinkle in the sail at the first grommet below the head. I tied the roband at the head too tight. Not only did it make the wrinkle, it also made the leech cup more than normal, even though it's hollow cut to prevent cupping. Next time, no roband at the head.

Here's the video. Pretty boring, a few tacks and most of a furling at the end. 8)
CC, D15, V10

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Always fun to see your work gk..

took me a while to catch up on this thread..