How does the Torpedo do it?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

True, minus the ability to be driven past hull speed, the drake tail, and additional length to allow for slightly less spartan accomodations.

She likes the FL26 as well, but shes needing a shower on board. Id like an open backed low shelter for the pilot (rain, relatively common over here) which requires more length to compensate. I really like that boat's concept, but I know that more length is required to make her happy in a boat we can take out on the salt water.

Its a very interesting hull, esp seeing the wake left behind the ones with a true drake and no transom.

E

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The FL26 will go well above hull speed but to get a shower with headroom, we have to look at minimum 30' with vee hull, 35 flat bottom.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

I really like the Osprey and the calliope. Lots of room aft and comfortable digs for short cruises. Nice lines and dollar signs :lol: A couple could fish for days and days. I'll never own one but its nice to dream. Maybe someone will end up doing a S&G version and I could catch a ride.

Duke

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

Spokaloo wrote:See, we need a section of the forum where the designers can post some of those essays and documents on design.
It is called "amateurboatbuilding". OK the forum is unstable because the software on the back end is out of date. That is something I will be working on over Christmas.

We have designer neutrality (Jacques and Tim Reiters are on it for example) and active posters with ideas from other continents (this means you Toni_V). If I can keep it up and running (new software) I will animate it.

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

Spokaloo wrote:T
She likes the FL26 as well, but shes needing a shower on board. Id like an open backed low shelter for the pilot (rain, relatively common over here) which requires more length to compensate. I really like that boat's concept, but I know that more length is required to make her happy in a boat we can take out on the salt water.
1. Up until recent times people showered:
- outside on the swim platform
- in the head seated (my solution)
(read the article in salon.com on the hygene problem in your culture, you guys shower too often...)

2. Sun + rain = for me a light weight roof with opening "sun roof" section. Sliding is nice, snap on canvas lighter. Steering in the rain is done sitting down. In the sun standing with head and shoulders through hole in cabin top.

And I have said that a FL 33 would be a great idea. :D Picking up what Jacques said about the Rangeboat - it is also too damned expensive. If Nigel sold the plans you would probably see a few more on the water. It is strip planked so a relatively easy build.

Cheers
Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Tony, if the submissions were more frequent and the utilization by the desingers was a tad higher, and the forum was a bulletproof vBulletin, you would be top dog.

I think a sitting room head, with a tip-up or pop-up phone booth for the shower, would work out well. I am with you on the stinking thing (last trip to the ocean we spend a total of 2 hrs on resupply missions on shore, the other 94 hrs on board a 21' fishing boat. Shower free....)

Im with you on the lack of rangeboats. Nigel wields a pencil well, but those are PRICEY boats.

E

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

For around $25 US, you can get an an inflatable "Sun Shower" enclosure for showering on deck, or you could build one yourself. Build an anchoring arm that slips into a free rod holder and you're good to go. If you wanted to be a little more risque, but fashionable, you could build one out of aluminum and Sunbrella fabric, stretched like a LaFuma chair and make it foldable. Tuck it out of the way somewhere when not in use. Either one would be an easy solution in good weather.

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

MadRus wrote:For around $25 US, you can get an an inflatable "Sun Shower" enclosure for showering on deck,...Either one would be an easy solution in good weather.
If it rains you could stand naked on the deck with a bottle of soap... 8O

Yeah I forgot about these tent things. More on showering - there is a shower in every marina.

or

If you aren't in a marina just shower on the swim platform - we promise not to peek!

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Tony, some of the best days to cruise in the PNW are when its a high of 50, low of 38F. Not exactly outside-shower weather.

E

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

sauna

Post by kiwi »

OK! We need some input from Toni_V on the FL26 layout now - maybe we can get a sauna in there? So then the showers outside would be at just the right temperature! :D

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com