How does the Torpedo do it?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Deadgobot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Deadgobot »

jacquesmm wrote:There is hope on the horizon: crude oil is going up and we may not be able to afford gas guzzlers anymore.
From your lips to God's ears. Well, Allah's ears, maybe. I see figures like 5-8 gallons/hour running time and my feet sweat. Like you say, people just don't go out on the water instead. It's crazy.
MadRus wrote:For around $25 US, you can get an an inflatable "Sun Shower" enclosure for showering on deck, or you could build one yourself.
Tania Aebi had an article somewhere--Good Old Boat? Sailnet.com?--where she put a sun shower in an acrylic-covered box on deck and plumbed it through to the head. Presto, a private hot water shower!
"Beware by whom you are called sane."

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: sauna

Post by Toni V »

kiwi wrote:OK! We need some input from Toni_V on the FL26 layout now - maybe we can get a sauna in there? So then the showers outside would be at just the right temperature! :D

Tony
Heh, I don't think there's enough height :). A sauna would be must have on a boat like that - I don't like swimming in cold water.

However It's pretty freshing to dip to ice hole in winter. Nice feeling of warmth when you came back up :).

And thank's for the kind words earlier, I like to fiddle with designs but I'm not really a designer.

About the hull speed issue - it's not really an issue in here. The traditional two pointer boat is called "fiskari" and they can go nive speeds with little effort.
Usual measures are:
-Lenght 26-33 ft
-Width 6.5-11 ft

And they'll be powered by 20-100 hp engine which will give 10-18 knots of speed. At 60 years ago the same models were powered by 1-2 hp engines to go at hull speed.

There's no magic, hull is rockerless, narrow at waterline while wide an top. It's going nicely as long it's kept light and without heavy top structures. Nowadays the same boats are mostly heavier with cabins and wider to give more stability. So slower.

If Froude would have measured these boats too, I think there wouldn't be hull speed concept like we know these days...

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

It's been about 15 years ago or so I was tied up at the slips of Lower Granite Damn on the Snake river. It was a pleasant evening around 9 or 10 PM when it began to rain. I was sitting under the canvas thinking about turning in when on a boat that was close to 35 ft. with a long pulpit sticking out over the water the couple began to shower. It was a terrible thing I did, but couldn't help myself. I watched. 8O Next morning inside the marina eating breakfast they appeared. "Nice refreshing rain last night" he said. "Yes it was," I said with a guilty grin. She flushed and as soon as they finished breakfast they cruised downstream.
The boating life is good. Sometimes even memorable.
Duke

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Hah, nice. And behind Lower Granite no less! Its beautiful up in that stretch, all along the Snake. I am a big fan of Llyons Ferry, myself....

E

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

Spending time on the Snake and then into the Columbia during the Salmon and Steelhead season is my favorite. Once went from Lower Granite down the system through the locks spent a couple of days at Ilwaco. Wish there had been video then. I had only super 8. Its still nice to look back.

Hope to return to all that some day. Duke