Lane's P21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Looks good.

I hear you got some snow there recently. I imagine that garage is chilly tonight.... :)

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

I sent you the email with my phone numbers. I just read that you are possibly working on the hull panels. I have an idea about splicing the panels together. You can use a router to reduce the thickness of the panel on the outside by using a flat straight bit and assembling the router on a cradle. In essence you will be reducing the panel the depth of a layer of fiberglass tape and epoxy. The panel should still be as strong as untouched ply if not stronger. This should reduce fairing time on hull and possibly give you a better finish. My theory is if you remove 1/32 or 1/16 and replaced it with composite it should be stronger. Check if this is correct.

Dave

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

Most people just sand the panels down that much, but yours is a much more elegent and repeatable solution. There was a discussion about this in another thread last week, but I don't remember which one. Jacques says that this is a good idea to reduce your fairing.

davidtx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by davidtx »

Here it is: http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... ht=#129555

Jacques says that's it's just fine - the splices play a small role in the strength, just something to hold the panel together while assembling. I'm going to do this with my decks. I wish I'd seen it before taping the outer hull seams and especially that transom-hull seam!

-david
See my blog: http://buildingtx18.blogspot.com/view or drop "view" from the end for the old interface

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Thanks for the look at the boat. I think it is a perfect size. I spent 5 hrs today cleaning my garage. I might try to get my hands on some plywood and possibly start the stringers. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where I'm going to build it. I think that if I'm prepared properly I can get her built in a short time. Talk to you later
Dave

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Howdy folks. Long time no update :)

I've been slowly working on the boat. The last few weeks have been productive. I got all the long panels laminated and i plan to stitch this baby together this weekend. So far things have gone pretty smooth. Its going to be such a rush to see this P21 starting to look like a boat!

I put some more updated photos in my album

For the outside hull side i removed one layer of the ply for a smooth seam.

The sides all glued up

A fine butt joint. The hull seams are nearly fair with the relief i used. Should help with the final fairing a lot.

The Mako goes back in the slip next week. Cant wait to start fishing again. The poor hotrod has to spend the days outside while i work. I had to send it off to a friends garage while i used up all the floor space with the hull.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Lane

The butt joints look very good. This is exactly what we were talking about. Now you don't have to worry about so much work to fair those joints out. Wish i could be around this weekend but i can't. I'm scheduled to pick up the motor tomorrow, but it is going to be a bear to remove from the truck. Going to have to muster a few friends for the drop. I will definitely post some pictures to kick off the build. New motor anchors the commitment process. First installment 4/4/08. By the way the sides look great. I can see a boat almost ready to take form.

Dave

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by fastlane »

Made some good progress this weekend. After my bought with the allergic reaction i took some time away from the boat then got back to work. The allergies are still there however i didn't play with the fiberglass or epoxy this weekend. My face still swelled up and i got rash on forearms again. I was sanding on the plywood a bit so i think it may be the wood or I'm just overly sensitive at this point. either way I'm building this dam boat.

Thanks to Dave...AKA Hope2float and some friends for helping me this weekend. The hull is all stitched up. it needs a bit of fine tuning but for the most part it looks great and fit well.

Some pics:

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Lane

Boat looks great. It is easy to guage the size from the ladder. Read another post about stations and plans and what to cut is it there no it isn't yes it is and it sounds like someone has had to much coffee and someone else may need glasses or a definitive stop button before hitting submit button. HA HA HA

Dave

fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Lane's P21

Post by fastlane »

Well i'm over two years into this project now. I have way too many projects going on but The P21 is coming along pretty good.
I spent too much time on the fairing but it came put pretty nice. I just need to give it a final sand before
the s3 primer goes on. I hope to have that done and flipped over in the next few weeks. Its cold here in NJ so i'll see what i can get done. I think it should be finished some time 2010. I cant wait to get on the water and get this beast out of my shop. it takes up way too much room :D