Guam HMD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Still alive and kicking here in the frozen north. Not much done on the boat since this past spring. Family stuff took priority but things should be settling back to normal fairly soon. Hope to get back to building Feb/march. Next thing to do is install seatboxes/decking.
I had cut out all of my parts using the base for the strongback as you are but I should have left the decking parts until the hull was completed. The plans gives an option of having the decking overlap the rubrails and that is what I was going to do. It looks like the deck as designed only goes to the edge of the hull. I have enough scraps that I was able to cut replacements to go out to the edge of the rubrails. I also had cut the foredeck as two pieces and I should have done it as one.
Have fun. It's a fun build.
Haven't seen anything from Yoda for a while as well. Been checking the forum daily to see how he's doing. Hopefully he's doing ok.
Doug

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Phased building is definitely the way to go. Looking at the plans you will be able to see logical steps as to when things can be cut. It also is nice to spend a few weeks laying the hull out, a few assembling, a month on fiberglass and fairing, then going back to the layout and panel cutting again. Breaks the monotony, gives you a fresh start, and reinvigorates you for the next phase.

SWMBO says if the cruiser is comfortable and solid, shes okay with it being the next big boat. I was threatening a DE25 long cockpit, but the 22' hull in a commercial style with comfy accomodations and a kayak roof rack suits us well. Just going to have to figure out where the guests will be sleeping!

Ive spent time looking at Rufus. Its a nice boat, and Ive built stuff from Paul in the past. The plans are mediocre, and the support is maybe 25% of what you get from these guys. I think the effort to push our hosts to develop the plans for what we want is much more effective than using substandard plans with less support.

Plan on a date to finish. Add 6 months. Plan on being late to that date as well.

Mine was going to be done in June. Ski season, a plywood shipping problem, surgery, fishing, and very hot summer temps (102+) really slowed me down.

Good luck!

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Laying out and cutting all hull panels took about 6 hours in 3 days. 8 days now for splicing (4 panels x 2 sides) during which I plan to cut the frames. A little extra time each day for working on boat since our business is shut down for 4 day holiday, minus taking the kids shopping, swimming, and out to play in the D4.

Spokaloo, here's one way to tell if you've really got BBV (advanced stages): I remember on my first boat looking forward to the next stage of the build, all the way to the finish and enjoying and concentrating hard on the steps. But after you have it bad, you get like this - as I start cutting the first wood on a boat I'm already dreaming not only of the next step, but the next BOAT! (nice push, BTW, love that Ranger 21 look) Probably what Larry was doing when he made is foam mittens!

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Hah, I have the big boat, the rowing shell, a 16' pacific city dory, and a larger cruising boat like Evan's 22 in the hopper right now, not to mention a traditional small rowing boat....

Ive got it bad.

Oh, and a jet boat refit into a bass boat....

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Wow, Christmas Day and a lot accomplished. Had 4 days off, but pre-Christmas honeydos kept them fairly busy. Did manage to glue one of the hull panels each day, both sides - first side in the morning then flip in the evening and do the second side. Today, Christmas, I was first up, as usual, started the coffee, got the roast going for Christmas dinner, then spliced side one of the last hull panel. By this time the kids were up and time for opening presents. My honey got me the top of the line Bosch jigsaw. While the kids were playing with their new video game, and my wife trying out her new exercise equipment, I drew out the transom and tried the new saw out. Smooth as butter, fast, almost no vibration, what a difference! My old black and Decker is now retired. When the kids went down for their nap this afternoon, I drew out the rest of the frames. Another two hours left to splice the flip side of the last panel and cut out the rest of the frames, next week rig the jig, then pictures! and probably questions! Merry Christmas to all!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Still progressing faster than expected. All frames erected on the jig, level and plumb. Tomorrow put on the panels. 29 hours so far, if I can get the panels on and epoxied in 20 more hours then I'll be an average person. :D When my wife brings the camera back I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics. :doh:

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Ross, just upload them to www.photobucket.com . The hosting is free, each photo has an image tagged url for use in forums, and its a piece of cake.

Anything you see posted of my boat is from the bucket. Very user friendly.

Congrats on the fast progress....

E

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

cant wait to see :)

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Saturday I re-measured frames before covering with panels - good thing, found one that had an error (brainfart on my part), re-cut and mounted. Mounted hull panels. Sunday, finished tightening ties (all panels fit perfect, nice design work!)(and my local mahogany exterior ply bent great, no creaking of forcing), relieved between panels with jigsaw, and puttied between the stitches. Ordered the woven tape for the uppers and cabin that's not included in the epoxy kit for some reason, extra 6 oz woven cloth for upper hull exterior and sole, and a little extra epoxy to stick it all together. Tomorrow remove ties and finish putty on seams. I'm beat, pics later!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Every day I see the digital camera in the evening, and then the next day when the cars are moved out I see that my wife has taken it to work! Pics soon, hopefully tomorrow. Progress has been slower, only got to work on it maybe 2-3 hours per day. Hull seams are all taped as of this evening. After I filled the seams with epoxy putty, I was impressed with how the hull had stiffened up. Then I radiused the seams - and was more impressed with how flimsy it had gotten, so decided I needed to tape the seams quick before a strong wind came up! When I stitched, all the panels came together to almost touching; I ran the jigsaw along the seams to get a bit more gap, but maybe should have left a little more gap for more putty penetration as the hull did get flimsy after sanding the radius on the seams. Anyhow, all taped now, double on transom and stem, so I feel safer. So far no problems that couldn't be figured out and solved. And surprise, definitely looking a bit neater than the practice D4 I built a few months back to learn stitch and glue! Better materials (marinepoxy and woodflour) helps over using the local substitutes on the D4, but the postage is killing me! Ordered 3 more gallons epoxy, 20 yards fabric, and 3 rolls of tape and the postage was about $250 to guam - you builders getting the free shipping are lucky! Now you know why I'm not shipping plywood in to the island!