Guam HMD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Starting to laminate the rails.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Atta boy. Looks like you are getting the boat shaped drip line like everyone else has in their boat building space.

Nice work!

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I'm epoxy coating my garage. :D Finally for the fourth boat I've started wearing gloves (my wife gave be a couple boxes in my Christmas stocking) and my hands are clean for once. Now I only have epoxy drippings on my feet, legs, arms, and occasionally hair and ears if I get an itch. She gave me safety glasses (good, I never worried before as I wear glasses, but now that I'm older I have to take off my glasses to see up close, so very much appreciated) and dust masks (can't use them - it's typically 90 degrees and 90% humidity. When I put them on, can't breathe and can't see through the fogged up glasses) oh well, two out of three on the safety gear.

If anyone's reading this wondering about time and supply usage (as I was) 55 hours in to this point, bottom's epoxied, 2 of 6 layers of rubrails, the skegs been laminated out of 2 pieces of 2x8 mahogany. I'm almost a third of the way through the supplies in the Bateau kit - 1 of 3 wood flour bags, 1 of 3 biax tape rolls, and 4.5 gal epoxy out of 15. I bought an additional 3 gallons as I plan on putting woven fabric on the sole and side panels, we'll see if it will be enough.

o-show
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by o-show »

At this rate you'll be done by next week. Slow down for gosh sakes and try to enjoy yourself a little. Seriously great work I'm impressed. What material did you use for the rub rails?

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Tails are same as all my boat wood - philippine mahogany. 3/8 x 2". Costs about $2.20 per 10' length here (I only need 120 feet for this boat), strong, nice to work with, bends and glues well, makes it kinda not worth your time to be ripping ply strips. Course the ply is philippine mahogany too, but much nicer than what you see in mainland. O-show, I'm about to start the fairing and am not looking forward to it. My only consolation is it's an 18 footer, not a 26. :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Sorry, that's rails, not tails. :doh:

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

I am really enjoying your build with all the information on supplies, labor hours, pics etc....

I am always impressed at how fast the hulls come together.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

The hull goes really fast....

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Got that big old skeg fitted, glued, fileted and taped today! took some step-by-step pics as I went, but photobucket is fighting me right now. I'll try again later. 20 more feet of rurail too, now half done with the 3 layers of rurail.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

OK, the skeg is covered in the stitch and glue 101 tutorial, but I was kind of scared as the skeg on the HMD is big - 12" tall at the transom. So yesterday, I first had to make a big enough piece of wood, biggest I could find in mahogony was 2x8, so I sliced it diagonally and spliced like this:
Today I temp screwed a couple pieces of 1x2 to the transom to hold the big skeg, and marked the hull curve using this high tech system:
Then used my wife's christmas present to me to cut the curve (man what a difference quality tools make):