Guam HMD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Guam HMD18

Post by chicagoross »

Time for an annual update! The Guam HMD is still in regular (although not as often as I'd like) use and no design or construction related issues have appeared.

I still use about 3 gallons of gas for a day's cruising at 6 to 6.5 mph. Very slow, very cheap. The motor's well broken in after a year and a half's use, and that 3 gallons typically represents about 8 hrs of cruising at 4000 RPM and 6.2 mph avg.

I'm really happy with my cheap "workboat finish" paint decision to use Rustoleum Marine paints - after about 2 years in the tropical elements and saltwater use, the paint still looks good after you sponge the dirt off. I did paint white on the berths in the cabin, and the blue sunbrella cushions that sit on it have "yellowed" the paint - should have used "sand". I think that if I were repainting (which fortunately seems years off still) that I would use "sand" on all interior surfaces, as it doesn't glare like white and doesmn't show the dirt. Save the white for cabin tops and topsides.

Load capacity is truly amazing for an 18' boat; this weekend we had 5 adults, 2 kids, plus 12 gallons gas, 20 gallons water, 50 pounds ice, 3 coolers, 2 anchor rigs and fish gear - the usual stuff, just added more people and didn't try to lighten the load. The scuppers were still comfortably above the water line even with 7 people.

Hope this info is of use to anyone that may be contemplating this design!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Wow! That's a great post and makes me want to build one. So glad you are still happy with her! That's one heck of a load for a relatively small boat. Only advice is to get her out more :lol: :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi

Since there does not seem to be too many builders of HMD18 out there...I am hoping your can help. The Lamination Schedule is not 100% clear to me. I see where the heavier biaxial fabric goes to 6 inches above the chines but is that to imply that above that on the sides, there is no fibreglass cloth ? I would think 6oz minimum on all outside surfaces ?..

Marc

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Glass only to 6" above chines, just epoxy coating above that. On Mine, i put a layer of 6 oz woven on the sides, wrapping from the chine all the wsay to the gunnel. Also 6 oz glass on the soles, decks, and cabin sides/top (but not on the pilothouse roof). I use 6 oz glass all around the motor well (I'm always dropping buckets in there plus whatever non=producing lure I just removed. I don't regret the extra glass.

Weight wise it doesn't matter; I've had 7 people and a day's gear on board and the scuppers were still above water level, this boat really has a ton of capacity.

On the negative side, though, I did use 30 gallons of epoxy on a "15 gallon" boat... :oops: