Guam HMD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Fits pretty good!
My plan was to get it glued down today, then filet and tape it tomorrow. Plan fell through, when I slid the glued covered skeg into its slots, it squished out enough glue on the sides to make a good filet - so I did, and then taped it working wet-on-wet:
Total process today, a very intesnse 3 hours. For the afternoon pleasure, another hour of laminating rubrails. I need more clamps!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

what are all the white spots on the joints?

Joel

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

I had a thread awhile ago talking about how much difference a good jig saw makes!!! it is one tool not to skimp on! Boat looks great I am envious of that beautiful mahogany I would have to use a child as collateral for that around here 8O .
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

The light spots on the chines are where the flapper disc made it through the first ply to the second ply when I was rounding the chines. The philipine mahogany (which is what the ply is also) seems to vary in color from red to almost white, same species. Are those the spots, Joel?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

great :D I was a little worried they might be air pockets - no offense.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

PastorBob, the mahogany is so nice to work with, straight, no knots, glues and bends well. The smaller stuff like 3'8" for the rubrails actually seems cheaper than buying "white wood" at Home Depo, where the larger like 2x4 and up is up to double the price of the cheap lumber at Home Dopot. A 10' 2x4 costs about $20 here, but it's perfect, straight, you don't even have to pick through the pile it's all like that. The big piece for the skeg cost me about $40. I considered a conventional framed boat just so I could use that mahogany for framing! It's beautiful when you lay the epoxy on it, just like the old seats and consoles on the Boston Whalers way back when. Too bad it will all get glassed and painted over, no brightwork here in the tropics...

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Joel, there is a tattle tale spot in the last photo where there is a white spot thats outside the glass. I had the same concern, but saw that out and away from the glass, so I figured it was a random discoloration, or maybe Rossman was getting a little rowdy with the woodflour filler or something.

So CR, can you ship some of that lumber up to Seattle for me? Itd be worth the 4 hr drive to go pick it up!

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Spokaloo - trade you for BS1088? All we have to do is fill a 20' container... I just noticed a problem with my rubrails as I started putting on the 3rd layer. I'm thinking "this is a really thick rubrail..." Turns out my 3/8" mahogany that I paid $2.20 for a 10' piece, is really 1/2". Wondering if I should grind off the 1 piece I put on (probably not) or just have a really beefy rubrail. BTW, anyone that's jealous of my nice mahogany access has to remember no marine ply here and I have to pay about $50 to mail 3 gallons of epoxy...

gk108

Post by gk108 »

We need a 80' rum runner boat design to haul supplies back and forth from the South Pacific. Haul Marinepoxy and biax out and return with lumber and plywood. A 'resin runner', if you will. :help:
CC, D15, V10

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

When Jacques gets done designing the motorsailor, Ill start the trafficing.

Id go with the meaty rubrail. Lets consider the durability of that vs other boats that might collide with you, or docks with a mean attitude. I say go with it.

E