New Pictures

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Thanks Gerry and Cracker

As soon as I get some relief from the swelling of he wrists I will have to determine how many of those screws I have left in the rub rail with broken heads before I start digging into the wood.

In the meantime the two grands are keeping me busy.

Bushmaster

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Hi Guys

I finally got the screws out. First using various sizes of drill bits to drill around the broken screws and when this was taking too long, I finally found my set of plug cutter bits.

I used a 3/8" to cut around the screws then pry them out. I did not penetrate the complete 3 layers of the rub rail.

However, as soon as the screws were out a section of the second layer of the rub rail began to separate from the first layer. I knew that the batch of fillet mix was not that good, any way I cut this section out and cleaned the two contact layers.

I am thinking of attach these combined two layers to the first rub rail which is on solid and the using some dowels to re-enforce.

Suggestion Please.

Some pictures.

Bushmaster

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Bush,
If I read right, you had the last two layers in of rub rail come off in a spot where you were removing those screws, I've never had a problem with any fillets ( 1st time builder like you :wink: ) but I think all you can do is scuff em' up real good (remove old fillet material), mix up another batch of gooie stuff and try again, if it takes the shape, you should be able to laminate both layers as one.

Do you have any idea why it came apart? think the mix was off a bit?
Just wondering, maybe we both can learn something outa this :)

If you really want to be sure take a break from the boat, and post in the powerboats section, there are many people out there more experienced than I.

Daniel

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Hi Daniel

You are right. the epoxy and or fillet were off a bit. The first layer of the rub rail is on solid. The second layer was where I was off on the epo/fillet. Not realizing I apply the third layer of rub rail, which went on solid.

However, as you rightly said, the second layer started to separate from the first but still on tightly to the third. I pried open as much as I can then cut a section.. about 7 feet long... off.

I have cleaned out the gunk from the face of the first layer and the second layer. Will sand tomorrow and re-glued. One good thing the two layers together still has its shape, almost. With some clamps I can hold them together until the new fillet bonds.

Thanks again Daniel.

Bushmaster

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

OK all

Here are some pictures..the latest on my build

Still has more work to do on rub rails. seal all holes, glass then fair.

Skeg level..not permanent as yet.. hull has to be sanded and faired some more once skeg is on
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 0_1926.jpg

Grandson Alex, 8 years old. up from New York on spring break. He wanted to work on boat. He wanted 10 bucks after sanding a minute or two

Grandson Eden, 5 years old. wanted to work on Nana's boat. He wanted 20 bucks. for sanding and washing the car.