Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:25 am I'd like to see the outriggers. I have a sail rig for mine but when it heels over it wants to steer into the wind. I have been tossing around outriggers for many years, and now my son is interested in the idea of sailing the canoe. If I do it they will be cedar stip as well with ash supports across the boat.
They were easy to make. I used a Dierking design and some DF creatvity. Probably took less than 10 hours once I had the plan in my head.

I cut rubber inner tube lashings for the akas. There is a 1.5" groove under the gunwale for the lashing. If you lash it right, super tight. Wrong, super loose. Then I epoxied some keepers. The akas are like 3 layers or so of 3/8" maple laminated together with pvc tube ends. The amas are just extruded polystyrene glued together and shaped woth 6 oz glass.

There are two positions for them; loaded and not loaded. I don't want them in the water if we are heavy, but when we run nets, the boat is light, so nice to lower them.

I can take pictures when I get home. I'm in Texas atm.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday cape man! You are within striking distance of venerable old age. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Ooops, corrected double post. Apologies.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man

Post by cape man »

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks Michael.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Happy Birthday Cape Man!!!! Enjoy your weekend!!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

And today's numbers...
Screenshot_20220423-065728_Retirement Countdown.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Happy birthday!

May you feet never need shoes.
May your sandals never fail.
May your wife never notice any one else.

🍻
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice count down calendar Cape Man!!!! Enjoy your less than a year to retire!!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jeff wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:38 am Nice count down calendar Cape Man!!!! Enjoy your less than a year to retire!!!! Jeff
Happy birthday! Seems you might be just a little ready for that retirement day :D