Lung Boy's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Very well done LB. keep up the good work and keep posting those pictures.

Bushmaster

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Mike, fine work :!: Is that 12 lb. cloth? The cuts look great on the corners. If I didn't have a boat or two this would be on my short list to build. Thought about power yet?

AA
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

I Agree with AA, those corners look great, nice clean lamination.

Daniel

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy »

Thanks again for the all the positive comments. I just tried to do what Joel did when he glassed his FS17.
Aripeka Angler wrote:Mike, fine work :!: Is that 12 lb. cloth? The cuts look great on the corners. If I didn't have a boat or two this would be on my short list to build. Thought about power yet?

AA
The cloth is the standard 12 oz. biaxial 45/45 that comes with the kit.

As for power I was thinking that a 90hp would be sufficient. Just kidding, my short list consists of the following: 40hp Yamaha 4-stroke, 50hp Yamaha 2-stroke, 50hp Honda, 40hp Tohatsu TLDI. I'd like to find a decent used outboard for not much dough (wouldn't we all).

I have also been dreaming about layout. If I were to use jgroves FS17 as a baseline, here are the following changes I might consider.
Add a casting deck between stations A and B.
Have a 15 gallon gas tank under the casting deck.
Add bait well / seat behind the center console.
Smaller center console with no seat in front.
Battery in the console with an optional second battery in the starboard stern compartment.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I've just put all the frames in mine,I am going with the casting deck option.
I am thinking hard about a seat behind the console. I think it may be a little cramped behind it,I think I will mock up a console & seat to try it.
2 removable 6 gall tanks in the front of the console for me,fuel is worth almost as much as gold on this side of the pond,so left in is likely to walk.Also the small boat storage yard that I am considering to use for the boat likes the fuel to be out before storing.

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

A seat behind the console is what I was gonna do as well. I planed to take my time after I got the boat on the water and do a nice box that would hold a cooler. I know Todd makes a bench seat with swingback. I was thinking something like that. However after I built I loved the amount of room behind the console. I am now building a leaning post (pics to come soon). I got my local welder (Ashley Welding) who luckily specilizes in boats to put together the legs. I'm building the seat. I will then add padding. I will post some pics of the post soon.
On a side note I told Ashley welding what a great thing this post is. If anyone else out there needs the legs they are very reasonable and have options such as folding foot reast, stationary foot rest (what I did). I don't know what shipping is but I have been very impressed with them! My design was based off of a local boat company's post (Regulator Marine). I just had them size it to 26" wide as opposed to Regulators 36. My seat will be a total of 32"... the same width of my console.
Lungboy SORRY ABOUT THE HIJACK... BACK TO YOUR BUILD :lol:
Last edited by jgroves on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Jeremy, I'm going to follow your leaning post with interest 8) I've got to do something with mine, and I'm leaning towards a leaning post too :)

Then again, maybe Cape Man will call and tell me he's got one :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Cracker Larry wrote:Jeremy, I'm going to follow your leaning post with interest 8) I've got to do something with mine, and I'm leaning towards a leaning post too :lol:
Larry, I am going to mount my post the same as you are mounting your tower :D I should be mounting this weekend. I will post some pics tomorrow morning of the post so far.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Great :!: Thanks.

Lung Boy, sorry to borrow your thread, hope it's OK :oops:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy »

Cracker Larry wrote:Great :!: Thanks.

Lung Boy, sorry to borrow your thread, hope it's OK :oops:
No problem. Any time. 8)