Lung Boy's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Lung Boy,

Great looking build. Won a set of FS17 plans at the Crystal River raffle and have looked at them with a lot of interest. Seeing all of them in progress and Jeremy's launch, looks like a really nice boat for Tampa Bay (or any other coastal area). Nice day should take you out a ways as well. I'm getting ready to flip an OD18 out here in Lithia, and am also spending way too much time thinking about the layout. Leaning post, cooler seat...leaning post, cooler seat... Open cockpit behind the console...

May run it bare for a while and install something if I feel the need. Find myself always standing while under way regardless of what's behind me, but with passengers aboard they may want to rest on something.

There are certainly a lot of Bateau boats in this part of Florida!
Then again, maybe Cape Man will call and tell me he's got one

You never know...a friend just offered a nice cooler seat off a Carolina Skiff...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

rubrail, skeg

Post by Lung Boy »

I was think about cutting some ply for the rub rails and the skeg. Not sure what dimensions to use.

For the rub rails: 3 laminations of 1/4" ply with a width of either 1.5" or 1.75". Any opinions?

For the skeg: This is way up in the air. 3 or 4 laminations of 1/4" ply? 5 feet in length? 1" or 1.25" width? Should the ply laminations be oriented perpendicular or parallel to the hull?

Aripeka Angler

Re: rubrail, skeg

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Lung Boy wrote:I was think about cutting some ply for the rub rails and the skeg. Not sure what dimensions to use.

For the rub rails: 3 laminations of 1/4" ply with a width of either 1.5" or 1.75". Any opinions?

For the skeg: This is way up in the air. 3 or 4 laminations of 1/4" ply? 5 feet in length? 1" or 1.25" width? Should the ply laminations be oriented perpendicular or parallel to the hull?
Mike, I can't give a number on the skeg. The rub rail would work good at 1
15/16 inches tall. It can give some options for vinyl rub rail at this height.

This is Taco vinyl over over three layers of African Mahogany. I will try to get you a better picture.

AA
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Lung Boy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lung Boy »

AA, thanks for the info. I checked out Taco marine's site and it looks like the possibilities for rub rails are almost endless.

I think Steve292 made his rub rails 45mm wide. The other FS17's out there look similar. Unless anyone else chimes in I going with the 45mm.

Which tool do you use to cut the rub rails? The table saw or the circular saw with a guide?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Richard probably uses a pneumatic table saw or a CNC :P He owns a cabinet shop, a very nice one at that, with all the good toys 8)

Personally, working alone I find a full sheet of plywood difficult to handle on a table saw, so I use a circular saw with a straight edge guide.

I made these 2 1/4" W
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

Copied the Cracker and did mine the same way except on the floor with a circular saw. Mine are 1.5", and 3, 1/4" pieces of ply laminated.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Mike, as Craig and Larry said a Skil saw will work fine. Marine ply, good southern yellow pine, mahogany, cypress will work fine. I actually cut my stock on a table saw. I straight lined the stock in a panel saw prior to ripping to size.

I went back to study my thread and my wood is actually 2-1/8 inches tall. The Taco vinyl is 1-7/8 tall. That said you can find the vinyl in any size if you decide to use the product.

I found a place to buy the vinyl for less than half price of West marine. I will see if I can find it if your interested.

Richard

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'm interested 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ditto. Priced it at several places and decided I was going to look at rope.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Lung Boy wrote:
I think Steve292 made his rub rails 45mm wide. The other FS17's out there look similar. Unless anyone else chimes in I going with the 45mm.
Yes, I did. I still had to kerf them to get them to go with the sheer at the bow.