Page 1 of 1

fl12 build

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:06 pm
by jay808
This is my first boat build everything went together fairly easily, only thing took time was the fairing. i decided to wrap the whole outside of the hull with 9oz cloth. I Had a question in regards of the skeg. Is the skeg only nessesary if you row the boat? Do you really need it if your boat will be powered by an outboard? I just aquired a honda 2hp outboard for the boat and don't plan on rowing it unless in a emergency. Thanks for your help. I did graphite the bottom already primed and put on the first coat of paint. Also one last question any ideas on making a transom plate or something similar to protect the transom from wear where the outboard clamps on? Thanks. here are some pictures of the build.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:55 pm
by gk108
For my outboard pad on the outside I just used some ¼" plywood coated with resin. I actually used leftover graphite resin for it. Glued it on with 3M 5200.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:21 pm
by jay808
Thanks gk i really like that idea. I did check out some dingies at a boat dealer and they all had a aluminum plate on the transom i was thinking of doing something similar but i didn't wanna bolt or screw anything to the transom.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:36 pm
by littlesandy
Jay the fl12 looks great. I just primed mine and am going out to sandy some more and fill. but again yours looks great good job. tom

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm
by tech_support
she looks great...

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:42 am
by jay808
thank you for your comments. I had a chance to put the non skid on deck and also painted my second coat on the boat this morning.
Im hoping to get this boat on the water by this weekend can't wait to try it out. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:05 pm
by jay808
I decided to go with gk's idea on the transom pads. I cut them to size and coated it with epoxy layed plastic over it and rolled out the bubbles <poor mans peel ply>
I also got my 2nd coat on. Im using interlux brightside as my paint. I know i should've gone with a 2 part paint but our local boat dealer didn't have the primer or reducers for the 2 part interlux paints and my only other option was awlgrip but the price was a little to steep. I wet sanded it and polished it out and im pleased with the results.
Also installed some lift handles to make it easier to carry the boat. And got the hatch installed.
Just gotta wait till the epoxy cures then 5200 it to the transom. Overall this boat was a great learning experience.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:28 am
by JohnH
That finish is fantastic, especially not using 2pac.

I'd like to see the shots of her being splashed.

A job well done. Congrats.

John

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:07 am
by donk
You did one heck of a job, especially the paint. Was it rolled and tipped or sprayed?

don

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 am
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful job, Jay 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:12 pm
by mecreature
that paint job is sweet.. makes me 2nd guess what in the world am I doing.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:38 pm
by topwater
8O Very nice!!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:08 pm
by gk108
Brightsides lives up to its name. Great job :!: Time to hit the water 8)

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:31 am
by jay808
I had a chance to 5200 the transom pads to the transom, please excuse the motor it is backwards, well here are some pics of it glued on. i might put a fewcoats of graphite over it tomorrow.
Don i rolled on the primer coats sanded it w/220 and sprayed on the 2 coats of brightside only because it would be faster to paint im sure you could have the same results rolling and tipping. Actually i wet sanded the second coat with 600 to spray a 3rd coat but decided not too so i just wet sanded over the 600 with 1200 and used a medium cut compound polish to take away the 1200 scratches then just polished with regular wax polish there is faint swirl mark but it's hardly noticable. Couldve gone with a fine cut polish or swirl remover to get that out but i was more than satisfied with the results. I know ill be repainted it within a few years hopefully next time ill go with a 2 part paint. thanks again all of you for your help and support.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 am
by rjezuit
If that's the finish you get when you don't go all the way, I would love to see what you get when you repaint in a couple of years. The finish and boat you built look like show pieces. Rick

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:51 am
by sds
8O indeed. Nice!

I might have missed it. What did you use for primer?

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:27 pm
by jay808
Sds i used pre kote for primer. I read somewhere on here that prekote was okay over marinepoxy so i decided to go for it. It did cure properly and i had no problems, The epoxy was fully cured and i also srubbed the hull w/soap and water to remove any blush if present, then cleaned with interlux 216. If they had the 2 part primer in stock i wouldve used their 2 part perfection.

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:55 pm
by sds
Again, great result. I'm taking down notes.

Thanks for the details.

Scott

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:24 am
by jay808
Finally had a chance to splash the boat. Was gonna take some running pics but the wind picked up. Their was times we had gusts around 20 to 25mph really had a chance to see how this dingy handles. Overall i was pleased and did exceed my expectations. No real swells just wind chops. I definately recommend a tiller ext handle. The graphite bottom did hold up well i dragged the boat on the rocks only light scratches on bottom.
Getting ready to launch
My cousin holding the boat so i could get a pic

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:12 am
by tech_support
jay, the boat looks great. Enjoy using it.

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:33 am
by ks8
Nice! Clean build.... must have been a pleasure to see it float on her lines the first time... :)

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 pm
by topwater
Thats what its all about.
nice boat,fishing poles and a friend 8)

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:39 am
by jgroves
Jay,
The boat looks great! I bet it's a blast to take out! Keep the pics coming!!!!
Jeremy

Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am
by jay808
Thank you for your comments. When you build something yourself you really appreciate it more. If i decide to put on a skeg in the future would it be okay to just scuff the graphite bottom with 80 grit and glue it on? Im thinking when its time to touch up the graphite on the bottom ill add the skeg. I also got a tiller extention handle for the motor. I find it a little uncomfortable to steer the motor sitting on the transom seat for long periods of time. Hopefully ill get more pics this weekend this time with some fish :D .

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:01 pm
by Wood Butcher
I have mirrors in my house that don't reflect as well as that paint job. :D Excellent work!!

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:25 pm
by Hope2float
I just needed to say that is some outstanding work. That is what is possible when you don't say it is good enough and you put some more time on the finish. Others are admiring the results even if they aren't commenting.

Dave