FS18 baseline

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Flippin' awesome models!!! I like both of them, but like Tom ask... what is your favorite version?

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Your customizations look familiar :wink:

If you re-space frames C & D components above the sole so they are equally spaced in the cockpit then the loads will be transferred to somewhat unsupported areas of the sole.

It might be better to get Jacques approval to move the portions of Frames C & D under the sole as well. The extra frame could also have a component under the sole which would make up for the adjustments of C & D.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

very nice :D Thanks for sharing

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You can move the frames: space them evenly, the distance between them should not be much more than 36".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Cracker Larry, I hope I have no problems with the 'Big'boat when I start. The wood work part doesn't faze me, just the epoxy work.

TomW, Jgroves, I also like the looks of the original, but I want to fit a bowmount leccy motor up front like my last 2 boats and I think it will be neater and easier with the flush sheer version.

Bob, I have seen your boat, on your website, mate, it looks great, and yes I did sort of steal the extra frame idea from you but really liked it as the fron platform wasn't big enough for what I want.my first boat I bought as a bare tinny and fitted it out with sole and cast decks. I had put the same storage area behind the front thwart for storage and the leccy motor battery. See piccies 1,2,3.

My next boat, which I sold last year had the same area for leccy motor battery/storage with a 80 litre livewell forward of that. See piccies 4,5.

Bob, have you made any more progress on your boat. I love those rod holders you built, very niiice.

As far as moving frames C and D go, would I be able to use the pattern for the original position (is the size going to differ that much). Just estimating from the model that D would move back about 100mm (4") and frame C move backwards about 200mm (8").

I have enjoyed building the models and I think it gave me an insight into the build method.

How do you reckon the boat would go with a very small side console like a number of 'other' boats of this type use.

Thanks

Mick.

P.S I had to put the piccies at the end today as everytime I put them in the body with text after them, when I previewed the post all I got was the address for the photo and no photo :doh:

That worked this time. :roll:

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

Well I finally got the model painted. Reading all of the negatives of fairing and painting etc on here, I think doing the model was proportional, I did the following.

1. Wood filler where needed.

2. 2 coats of model dope and acetone mixed 50/50.

3. 3 coats of dope/acetone/talcum powder, equal portions. This was used to fill the grain of the balsa (a bit like quickfair I suppose) sanded in between.

4. 3 coats of primer.

5. 3 coats of top coat.

But I was pretty happy with the end result.

I'd love to be able to find a scale, or even toy outboard in the right size to go on, I've scoured the net and toy shops but no luck so far. I suppose you can tell I'm bored can't you, still not back at work!!!

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Nice! When I was searching for mercury outboards on e-bay a while back, a number of model outboards were coming up; you might try looking there.

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

Thanks CR. I've been looking at Ebay and everywhere else. There only seems to be models of vintage outboards or large 250 300 hp jobs. I'll keep scouring though, it would finish it off nice.

Mick

jj12672
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jj12672 »

Awesome models. I'm planing on building the same boat and want to do one with a flush sheer. Now I can visualize both boats together, I really do prefer the flush sheer over the original.
Thanks again for the great pics of the models.
JJ

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Nice work Craka. now on to the big boat. :D I really like that paint color, what is it and who produces it.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy