The Fishicist--A Build of an FB11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mike McGuire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike McGuire »

I have kept at it. The middle bulkheads are now in place. I solved a problem (I think) with keeping the back side of the fillet of the second bulkhead, (between it and the first) from spreading too much.
http://mmcgr.users.sonic.net/FB11/MiddleBulkhead.html

Mike
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you

Mike McGuire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike McGuire »

My FB11 project has progressed with a time out for a fishing trip to Pyramid Lake in Nevada. I landed a 26" Lahontan Cutthroat--not as big as they come there, but nice.

My cut according to plan rear seat turned out to be too small. But it wasn't too hard to splice and laminate my way around the problem. The rub rails sure took a lot C-clamps.
http://mmcgr.users.sonic.net/FB11/RearSeat.html

I have a few more small jobs to do, install the floatation foam, the front seat, and cleats for the mast support, and then comes the big cut--stay tuned.

Mike

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Looks like you're getting close to the big cut! :)

Mike McGuire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike McGuire »

Tomorrow is the big day--the great Portola Valley Chainsaw Massacre or FB11 mitosis, the big cut. In the mean time I have gotten a few more items in place. There was the front seat, cleats for the mast support, a daggerboard case made, the floatation foam, and a start on some oars. See http://mmcgr.users.sonic.net/FB11/FrontSeat.html

At this point I have finished off my first 1.5 gallons of Marine Epoxy and a pound of wood flour. A new batch arrived today so progress will not be impeded.

Mike

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I was nervous enough just cutting the hole for my daggerboard. Cutting a hull in half must really seem strange. :D
CC, D15, V10

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Excellent! Though probably not the best idea to use a chainsaw... :lol:

Mike McGuire
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike McGuire »

So I did it
Actually as suggested I didn't use a chainsaw. Blow -by-blow account at http://mmcgr.users.sonic.net/FB11/BigCut.html
It went pretty well with no significant hitches. The cross sections of the fillets at the corners of the bulkheads were interesting.

Mike

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

wait wait wait...

Isn't there supposed to be a lovely assistant who first lies down in the hull, and you drape a sheet over her, before making the cut? And then you cut and pull the halves apart while she still wiggles her fingers and toes, smiling all the while? I'm afraid you'll need to do it all over again... :P