GF16 Pictures Bernd

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Hi Carlo,

nice to hear you - about the temperature ....I tested a gas heater to have a comfortable temp. in my shed and it worked well.

Unfortunately I read about problems if you use a propane gas heater and wet epoxy - the burned gas could create a layer with unburned hydrocarbon on the surface and prevent the curing.

Until yet I had no problem - I'm happy. At my filling station they sell 11kg gas for about 24€.

Last sunday I was at the "Interboot " in Friederichshafen /Bodensee. Nice to see all the manufacturers of boats and engines. The engines (4 stroke) are very expensive .

For example a Mercury 50PS costs about 6700€ - that is a lot.
I talked with a few smaller manufacturer about the material they use and was very surprised as they said that they use polyester instead of epoxy.

They told me that epoxy is too expensive - but a real good material - they confirmed me to be on a good way in this kind of building.

They all told me not to use a wood core - they used a foam core.
The only mistake I did was to have no camera with me to shot some pictures.

Have a nice day.....

Bye
Bernd

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Bernd it is looking great! I have one question though, can you Americanize "11kg of gas"? Does kg mean kilogram? Haha this yankee needs help! :lol:

Most all of the manuf. here use vinylester or polyester resin and foam. Not many in the US know vinyl & poly are subpar resins but sooo many folks here have the Foam is Bad! attitude...

Keep going Bernd!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Unfortunately I read about problems if you use a propane gas heater and wet epoxy - the burned gas could create a layer with unburned hydrocarbon on the surface and prevent the curing.
Propane won't cause this problem, it is a clean fuel. But kerosene or fuel oil will.

Gramps, I think 11 KG is something comparable to the 20 lb. propane tanks in the states.

Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Ah thanks Larry! Was thinking Bernd was talking about gasoline/petrol.

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Hello Bernd,

My name is Daniel and I've been following your build from Virginia, U.S.
Your gf is looking great. I'll be starting on mine at the end of October and I can't wait to start cutting.

Your hatch cutouts look very nice at the middle seat by the way and I'm looking forward to seeing your anchor storage box idea as well.

Referenceing your pictures, It looked like you completely glassed the seat frames on the inside and out. I was wondering if the plans called for this or if you just wanted to make it stronger. It seems like the lamination schedules can be confusing based on all the lamination questions that are generated as folks are building. I just wanted make sure that I read the plans correctly.

Thanks Bernd,
Daniel

I hope it's O.K. that I've asked this question on your post Bernd. Please let me know if it isn't.

AD16 The Opportunist
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AD16 The Opportunist »

Unfortunately I read about problems if you use a propane gas heater and wet epoxy - the burned gas could create a layer with unburned hydrocarbon on the surface and prevent the curing
The secondary product of burned propane gas is water damp.... take care about high humidity... is also not a good thing with epoxy :?

They all told me not to use a wood core - they used a foam core.
Don't care about this: as Jacques always writes, his boats are Epoxy/glass composites... the wood (ply) core is only for the shape, not structural (not always)
Think only that not all commercial or factory boats are built on a foam core, most are simply laminated on a female mold, certainly not with epoxy... with vinylester resin or better almost always with cheap polyester resin...much less strong than epoxy.... :wink:

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Hi Carlo,

I overconfidence Jaques and his method of building/ his plans.
I also know that epoxy is the better resin and the polyester is a question of costs - with all its disadvantages.

I like to work with epoxy - I never want to work with polyester resin.

By the way, if you travel sometime to Italy by car and using the A8 highway just call me on my mobile and take a visit to me - I 'am 10 minutes away from the A8.

Good luck at your building !

Bye
Bernd

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Murry wrote:Hello Bernd,

My name is Daniel and I've been following your build from Virginia, U.S.
Your gf is looking great. I'll be starting on mine at the end of October and I can't wait to start cutting.

Your hatch cutouts look very nice at the middle seat by the way and I'm looking forward to seeing your anchor storage box idea as well.

Referenceing your pictures, It looked like you completely glassed the seat frames on the inside and out. I was wondering if the plans called for this or if you just wanted to make it stronger. It seems like the lamination schedules can be confusing based on all the lamination questions that are generated as folks are building. I just wanted make sure that I read the plans correctly.

Thanks Bernd,
Daniel

I hope it's O.K. that I've asked this question on your post Bernd. Please let me know if it isn't.
Hi Daniel,

I use my old but reliable 25HP Mariner on my GF16 - this was the reason to change some things in building. I changed the following:

- bottom double glassed
- 3 clamping boards glued on the transom
- transom bow/ stern double taped
- outside of the frames glassed with 400gr biax
- inside of the mid seat, rear seat and foredeck glassed with 160gr. cloth (my thinking was to have a better wood protection during pushing tackle in the seats)
- I didn't want to have a flexing bottom

at the outside I will do the following things:

- bottom double glassing
- transoms twice laying the tape

Tips / hints:

Use the recommended plywood - no cheap trash. Use marinepoxy you can buy here - I'm satisfied with it.

If I would build the GF again I would do the building as following:

- cut everything - use a small circular saw for the curves of the side panels - Larry gave me this hint - you create nice curves.

- then build a flat jig on level (believe me it saves a lot of time to correct errors and I wouldn't do it without it - I highly recommend this).
If you do it in this way you have a 100% flat bottom in further building

- draw a centerline on your jig and draw also a centerline on every frame ; without exception - it helps you in further steps

- install the mid seat frames on your jig with metal brackets after you made all your cuts .. for example drain holes tubes for fuel, electric and so on- now you have your hands free to install the side panels with screws - but do not tighten it too much

- then you install your transom on the jig
- now you twist one side panel a time to screw it to the transom - your hands are free !

- don't forget to use a underbody at the bow part of the side panels
(don't be afraid to use a few stitches to hold the bow transom between the side panels)

- install a slat on the centerline on your jig close to the bow transom
- twist the side panels until the centerline on your bow transom meets the centerline on your slat.

- check the diagonals with lines

- install the other frames and check the diagonal and symmetry of the whole boat

- if everything is correct then glue the side panels to the transoms -not earlier - I made the mistake and glued the side panels to the transoms before and got a error with my right sidepanel/ symmetry - I don't wish nobody to have the same trouble.

Please don't glue the sidepanels to the transoms before you checked the symmetry -believe me !!!!!

..and please take look that the sidepanels rest on the flat jig - this will save a lot of time and nerve.

If you have any questions let me know I will help you as much as I can - I was also happy as other builders here helped me......like Cracker Larry, Tim Oubre , Jaques , Shine and a lot of more of them.....

Have a good start on your building and enjoy it !
If I could do it you can it also -and don't be afraid of mixing your first batch of epoxy - it is easier as you think. Use marinepoxy - it is idiot proofed with 2:1 ratio - I never had amine blush - I like it.

Bye
Bernd

AD16 The Opportunist
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AD16 The Opportunist »

bernd1 wrote: By the way, if you travel sometime to Italy by car and using the A8 highway just call me on my mobile and take a visit to me - I 'am 10 minutes away from the A8.
Is not my usual route, but is not longer than mine... I drive through the A3 and the A9 'til München usually , Who knows? :D Send me your phone number, I'll try to come :wink:

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

Bernd,

Thank You so much for the advice and great detail with your lamination schedule choices. It's clear that you take great pride in your work and you also care about future builders. Thank you Bernd. I will be taking your advice, and I will not be glueing the transoms before knowing that the hull is symmetrical.

I am also planning to build on some type of frame to ensure that my bottom will be flat. I learned about that from Cracker Larry and Boomer through reading your build Bernd. So thanks again for posting very good details.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I have been out of town.
Daniel