FS17 low sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Joel,

That is sweet. I can't believe you were able to get the tiller that tight!!!! That is either luck or very good calculations. :lol:

When is the splash date??? Don't forget to bring your camera and video camera for the event!!! 8)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

KS,

:) Yes she is super light and very simple. The Indian river really does not require anything more than this boat. The average depth is less than 4', there is no reason to speed (most areas are limited to 30 mph outside channel), there is basically no tide or current, and Im never further than 7 miles from the ramp I launch. If I were building a fishing boat for a more traditional coastal zone, she would have more gear and capacity.

CR,

I have never owned one of these tohatsu motors, but everything I hear from those who have say they are bullet proof. My only worry is taht this is going to be too much motor for a light tiller boat. If that is the case, I will try to trade it for a 25

Derek,

It was luck that it was that close, but the measurements and calcs helped to get close.

Started the motor for the first time today, ran great even after sitting for months. I should get my vinyl letters and numbers this week. I have someone coming to rig a new trim/tilt switch for me tomorrow. The trailer has tags. Fuel system is hooked up. Weather this weekend is supposed to be 70's - so it looks like I have no excuse not to launch this weekend :)

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Weather this weekend is supposed to be 70's - so it looks like I have no excuse not to launch this weekend
:D :D :D :D :D

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Watch them fish run and hide now. :D :D Best on the launch Joel.

Tom

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Shine

Post by cottontop »

Your nickname should be placed on the side of your build. Have you ever heard of a "spit shine"? I used to be a shoshine boy in my dad's barber shop and thought I could get a great shine a a pair of shoes. Yours is the best paint job I've ever seen. She sure is beautiful. You may want to put a "govenor" on her. If not, there may be a warning ticket or two forthcoming. "Great Job". cottontop 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Congrats Joel

You have done a marvelous job of building and painting. She looks beautiful.

Now that you have done yours, may be you can come down to Homestead and help me finish mine...Ha, Ha...

Bushmaster

hwsiii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hwsiii »

Your boat is beautiful and I am sure it is perfect for what you intend on using it for Joel. I just wish we had a place like that to fish here. I need to move back to Florida, I used to live on Perdido Key and had a beautiful condo on the water in the bay about 1 1/2 miles from the Gulf by my boat. I sure wish I hadn't moved, but you have to follow business where it leads you. What a shame.

HWS

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

shine wrote:KS,

:) .... Weather this weekend is supposed to be 70's - so it looks like I have no excuse not to launch this weekend :)
Oh yes, I am well aware of that situation .... :lol: 8) :D

I've just got to finish final rigging and haul this boat and dolly up on the utility trailer. A dual splash weekend would be great... but as Hooper said, *Don't wait for me!* ... and I'm sure you won't. :lol:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Joel,

What a perfect machine for where you are. Can't wait to see how she performs. She's going to be a lot of fun and easy to fish out of. Love the simplicity of design you employed.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Boat go fast :)

Launched the FS17 today. The 40 hp is plenty of motor, no tach and no spedo, but I think I was around 40 mph open throttle and just myself and 5 gallons of fuel. With one passenger the speed was about the same, hole shot was instant. The engine is set with the cavitation plate about 2" above the boat bottom, I may lower it by 1/2" but I was very happy with the trim angle and there was only a hint of cavitation when accelerating quickly or taking a quick turn on plane.

So here are the pictures.

had some vinyl sticker made up and also matching registration numbers

floating

on the river

running pictures are too far off to see anything of use

back on the trailer

With myself (225) and the motor (200 pounds) there is too much weight in the stern. She squats more that I would like while at rest. I need to mover the battery forward, and also keep more fuel. A 25 2-stroke at close to 100 pounds lighter would alleviate a lot of this.