FS17 low sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 low sheer

Post by Cracka »

G'day Joel,

I keep coming back to this boat as a possible build and now that you have been running it for just over 7 months, I am wondering what your impressions of the boat are.

Did you end up keeping the 40 or did you change for the 25. If you kept the 40, have you had a chance to do a speed check.

Did you end up putting an electric on the bow.

How did you go with your balance of weight for and aft, did you re-adjust or not.

If you can offer any other pros and cons feel free.

Thanks mate.

Mick.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Hi Mick,

here you go.....
Cracka wrote:G'day Joel,
I keep coming back to this boat as a possible build and now that you have been running it for just over 7 months, I am wondering what your impressions of the boat are.
Mick.
I really like the boat, its perfect for my use. I use her almost every weekend (twice this weekend :) ). For two guys fishing she isplenty boat without having things you do not need. I kept the 40 and I like having the option to go fast. I now use a launch ramp that is further away from the fishing area but has far less traffic, I can get there in 10 minutes running full throttle.
Did you end up keeping the 40 or did you change for the 25. If you kept the 40, have you had a chance to do a speed check.
Mick.
No speed check, I dont have a GPS. I am guess top speed with 2 men, full tank of gas and fishing gear is a little over 35 mph. The downside is the weight (200+ pounds of motor) while I stand on the back (220+ pounds of Joel). With a man on the bow casting, its balances out perfect though.
Cracka wrote: Did you end up putting an electric on the bow.
Mick.
Not yet, but Im still thinking about it. there are few times (fishing around docks especially) when the trolling motor is better than poling. I just do not do much of that fishing.
How did you go with your balance of weight for and aft, did you re-adjust or not.
If you can offer any other pros and cons feel free.
Mick.
I could use a little more weight forward, but not by much, I did not take the heavy motor in consideration when planning the seating. If I move myself and passenger a foot forward, its perfect. And really no one but me knows, its not obvious.

The hull shape is very pleasant running in a chop, she handles is very smooth. I do not need to come off of plane to cross large boat wakes, she cuts right through at 30 mph. I love the simplicity of the boat, nothing to break of maintain. I do not have any instruments, no bilge pump, no trim tabs, no gas gauge, nothing like that; just turn the key and go fishing. Granted the place where I use the boat is extremely forgiving (sheltered, very shallow, and never far from help), if I lived somewhere else i may have included some of the other items

If your use for the low sheer FS17 is similar to mine, you will not be disappointed

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Joel,

Thank you very much for the reply, I'm glad to hear you're happy with the boat and getting to use it, it is a great looking boat.

My intended uses for the boat are mainly estuary and river systems (shallow water) with the occasional freshwater lake foray. But where I live I do have the option of bay and inshore fishing out the front of the estuary.

I was originally going to build the FS18 but I am now thnking I would be silly to, when I could build the FS17 low and fish most of my options. I only venture into the bay on good days anyhow, as there is a bar crossing.

I mainly only fish 2 up maximum, and I would have a bow mount electric and battery (66lb) up front (same as my last 2 boats) so the balance would be fine I guess when alone, I'm only about 165lb.

Also, what did the length/beam end up at after lowering the sheer, and what is the stability like at rest, I assume it would be pretty good, just need to ask before I make any decisions?

Thanks mate.

Mick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

From what you describe, my boat sounds like a good fit, but you probably do not need a poling platform. maybe a very small side console or center console.

The FS17 is much more stable than the FS18. Its still a small boat for 17', and that is why it is so easily driven and efficient. Its plenty stable for two guys to walk around the boat and not cause uncomfortable movement. I can stnad on the poling platform while my fishing partner walks around. The loss of length may be 6", loss of beam maybe 3" the loss of length/beam Has zero effect on the performance, the running surface and volumes are the same (unless your pushing the bow through waves)

One change I would make in my boat is to make the seat box/cooler box smaller (narrow). I have not needed to use it but once for large fish, and walking around it with rod holders on the side is not super easy because my rods have plugs with treble hooks on them

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Joel,

You're dead right mate, I wouldn't be putting the poling platform on, we just don't have the vast area of shallows that you guys over there have that I need to pole, it is something that you just don't see here.

Most of my estuary/river fishing is off snags, using the bow mount to keep position and cast to them, and also on what flats we do have, I normally use the leccy or just drift them using the leccy to keep the bow in position.

It's funny you mention the console, when I was replying to you on my last entry I was going to mention it but thought I had already bombarded you too much. A good idea I think, a small centre console. My last boat was a 4.5 metre ally boat with a side console, the problem with it I found when 1 up fishing the boat always listed to the console (starboard) side, I realise this can be fixed with trim tabs but its just another expense.

Mick

kcinnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re:

Post by kcinnick »

shine wrote:
Thats the only reason it all went together so quickly. I do not have the skill or patience to cut panels that accurately :!: The molds/jig was huge time saver. The mold all rest on the same plane, so there are no upright supports to mess with - just two 2x6 for the molds to rest on, then snap in the stringers.
)
How far above baseline should you cut the molds to have them all rest on the same plane and still have enough mold to properly hold the shape? Does it really matter, would going with the distance on the shortest mold and cutting them all to that height above baseline work?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I do not remember, the molds were draw in CAD and cut on a machine. Besides, each boat would be different the measuremetn for my custom version of the FS17 would not help you.

If you need help with a particular measurement for the boat your building, please start new thread and we can help.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

If you have never met Joel you will understand why tiller steering is in order. A hull this light and his 230 some odd pounds would not be feasable for a side consol. You would have to add concrete blocks on the other side just to balance it out. He ain't no midget. Not fat either. Just a good ol healthy southern boy.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

jabcd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jabcd »

Thank you for this group of pictures and instruction notes. I have not started yet, but have some questions I will be getting to as soon as I get them formulated in my mind. They will be on the Garvey-18, but the technique used will be the same as in this instruction group.
James Doubravsly

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

jabcd wrote:Thank you for this group of pictures and instruction notes. I have not started yet, but have some questions I will be getting to as soon as I get them formulated in my mind. They will be on the Garvey-18, but the technique used will be the same as in this instruction group.
James Doubravsly

If questions come up, please start a new thread.
All our boats are built the same way but boat specific or subject specific threads are easier to search.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com