FS17 low sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

You have to go real fast, maybe 4 inches a second.

dpurcell
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dpurcell »

All I can say is Good God Man! Joel you didn't give me enough of a head start, jeez I haven't even started yet!:lol: Jacques thanks for the reply on the bracing! SWMBO is tyin' me up with the honey do list.

martin_
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by martin_ »

shine wrote:You have to go real fast, maybe 4 inches a second.
would it help to use a real slow hardener? I have one here wich can be used for 7 hours @ 22°C.
Another one with 5 hours. I used this on several speaker cabinet projects and you could mix 1kg in a bottle and it gets only handwarm (the you only have about 45minutes).
Could this be a solution?

thanks
martin

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Joel - Do you fill the zip tie holes with epoxy or epoxy glue before glassing???
Cheers
Richard

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Nobody's slower than old Dougster, and slow hardener Silvertip worked just fine for me with the ziplock deal. Never lost a batch, and if you're slower than me, well......nah. Re speed of build, I don't guess it matters much. I figure the longer it takes the more fun for the money. Again, well...
Have yall ever heard the backpackers prayer? "You pick 'em up Lord, and I'll put 'em down".

Puttin' 'em down Dougster

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

martin, they are regularly working in 28-32C temps there, might be a bit warmer than your beautiful weather.

Joel, you ever use real icing bags (the disposable kind)? Price is actually less than a zippered bag, and the batch sizes are a hair smaller.

E

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Is there any thought of making this a stock option? I have the plans for this boat, but had just about ruled it out in favor of another design. the low sheer makes it more appealing for me.

jbo

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

rcihard wrote:Joel - Do you fill the zip tie holes with epoxy or epoxy glue before glassing???
Cheers
Richard
Yes, right before taping the seams we fill them with putty. While that putty is still malleable we glass the seams - this saves the step of letting it harden, the sanding/shaping the joints again.

We will show this when we do all the glassing - hopefully we will have some time to set aside today or tomorrow to glass the entire outside :)

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

mecreature wrote:I tried that ziplock bag thing... that stuff heats up way to quick for me to be any good with it...
Keep your epoxy in the fridge. :D It helps.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Spokaloo wrote:
Joel, you ever use real icing bags (the disposable kind)? Price is actually less than a zippered bag, and the batch sizes are a hair smaller.

E
I will look into getting some of those for the inside - thanks