Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by lelandtampa »

Got invited out on a "head boat" charter in Sarasota and my daughter caught a Rabbitfish puffer. Probably 20 inches long with weird beaky teeth. Image

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Went silver salmon fishing out of Seward the past few days. Fishing was a little hit and miss but the wife and my buddy from AZ wanted to give it one more shot today. Where we fish is pretty protected but to get there involves crossing 10 miles of open ocean. Fishing was good and we stayed too long. Pulled out from behind the island and the seas had built up pretty good with maybe a 10 foot swell to go with it. While crossing back at 5-8 knots I had a charter boat hail me and offer to knock down the seas a little for me. He did not have to do it but it was a kind offer. Somebody is getting a GOOD bottle of rum delivered to them. Any suggestions for a good rum?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:23 am Went silver salmon fishing out of Seward the past few days. Fishing was a little hit and miss but the wife and my buddy from AZ wanted to give it one more shot today. Where we fish is pretty protected but to get there involves crossing 10 miles of open ocean. Fishing was good and we stayed too long. Pulled out from behind the island and the seas had built up pretty good with maybe a 10 foot swell to go with it. While crossing back at 5-8 knots I had a charter boat hail me and offer to knock down the seas a little for me. He did not have to do it but it was a kind offer. Somebody is getting a GOOD bottle of rum delivered to them. Any suggestions for a good rum?

Best rum in the world! :D

cape man

Post by cape man »

ron-zacapa-centenario-23-yr-750ml_1200x~2.jpg
ron-zacapa-centenario-23-yr-750ml_1200x~2.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 7338 times
Better than best 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

What they said. My tastes run cheaper and slightly less fancy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Here's a very good rum, pretty widely available in the U.S. It's an agricole- that means it's made from sugar cane juice, not the molasses sludge left over from sugar production, which is the common way to make rum. It's got a light, complex flavor, not overly sweet. They make a 3 year old and a 15 year old. In blind taste tests among family and friends, we preferred the 8 year old as it had a flavor complexity that the 3 year old lacked, but kept the sugar cane flavors forward, rather than the oak barrel they use for aging.

I agree, that was a very nice thing that captain did for you.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My preferences in order of how little I let myself drink for fear of running out:

Kirk & Sweeney 12
El Dorado 15
Botany Bay Estate (I have to import this one)
Abuelo 25

I think the most expensive there is a abuelo at about $75 (non-Alaska dollars). The botany it problematic as it goes down like candy (vt_jeff has witnessed this in real time).

The K&S is God’s gift to mankind. It’s definitely a sipper. It’s light (flavor and color) but has huge cask flavor. If you really like a bottle you’ll want to track the batch number (same with botany) as it is small batch at the 12+yr.

I tried to keep the lowbrow views out but … RUM!!!!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man »

We hired a financial advisory early this year and low and behold he loves to fish! Even better he has a 36 foot Yellowfin with 900 hp on the back! And he knows how to throw a cast net and where to get bait!
Ran 55 miles out and fished in 145 feet of water. The bite was solid for about 45 minutes, so we were releasing small but legal red snapper. Put 4 nice ones in the box. The bite slowed and then stopped but a large thunderstorm with LOTS of lightning decided to blow up and head straight at us, so we pulled out (just in time).
Nothing happened at a grouper spot coming in...
Great day, red snapper for dinner tonight, think I have made a new friend, and running 60 mph in a 36 foot boat is FUN!
20220723_084506.jpg
20220724_110251.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Duplicate

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sounds like a great deal Creig a financial advisor who loves to fish and a great boat in one sweep. Great pics. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978