Trebuchet's FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Tre
The boat looks great. I probably used way too much epoxy on mine. The inside may be done bright along with the rubrail and transom. Still alot of sanding ahead. I just completed all the fillet work last night. I am down to sanding and painting. The boat seems to be built like a tank as you will see. BTW where are you posting from.
Dave

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Hope, I'm in North Carolina. I do like brightwork, and I may choose to have the breasthook and knees bright. I've been thinking about getting some really pretty wood to use.

Finally it stopped raining or threatening to rain long enough to get some more work done. I was able to get some fiberglassing done. Soon, maybe tonight, we'll fiberglass the entire hull bottom.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Tre
I like the flat spot in the bow. I assume that is for bow eye. The boat is coming along fine everything looks good from my house. When you glass the bottom I found it very easy to cut cloth first, Precoat wood, roll out sheet use plastic spreader to flatten out the cloth. Then I mixed up about 24oz of goo and used the plastic squeegie to spread epoxy for wet out. Then removed as much as i could squeeze off. I hope this helps i used 4oz for the bottom

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

It is for the bow eye. I put it lower than other's I've seen... hopefully that's OK. I wanted the ends of the u-bolt, and nuts to be inside the bow seat. I also bought some handles for the transom.

Tonight, we glassed the bottom. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but it went off without much of a hitch. Some persistent bubbles here and there, but I think we were able to get them all out.

There's the first mate helping clean up drips, and spreading epoxy on the sides of the hull. That's the grain of the wood up on the bow... it's not really that bumpy.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Tre
She looks great. Is that 4oz because mine looked the same way when I was complete. It will make the bottom much more durable and I think it will help with fairing as well. I used slow epoxy for the first time tonight and it was about 2 times the working time and very slow to cure. Maybe I have been spoiled by medium. I did though have a few pots of medium flash off one straight the other a glue mix.
Dave

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Well, the boat had been put on hold for a while. Things got really crazy around here, and I've finally been able to get some more work done.

I started fairing the outside, and thankfully I remembered that I hadn't put the skeg on yet! 8O So, I set out and epoxied that down today. It's amazing, that slow cure epoxy was great when it was in the 90s, but when it's in the 50's, that stuff sure does live up to it's name as "Slow Cure". The skeg is made of a 1x4 I had kicking around in the wood pile. I believe it's ceder. Not very good with my wood species though. Maybe not the best choice, but it's all I had.

Anyhow, on to the pictures.

I've got just about everything I need to complete her, except for final paint. Can't quite afford that yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot of work done before it gets TOO cold.

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Glad to see you're back at it. Keep up the good work, and then get out on the water.

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

<FOREHEAD SLAP>

When I applied the skeg, I messed up my ratios. I was remembering using the Marinepoxy, where it was one pump to two pumps... I've since switched to MAS and the calibrated pumps are one pump to one pump.

So, when gluing on my skeg I have epoxy with twice the hardener then there should have been. So, I'm gonna pull it off.

Not the end of the world, at least it wasn't on anything which can't be fixed as easily as the skeg.

:oops:

Trebuchet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Trebuchet »

Well, I scraped and scraped, and eventually got off all the bad epoxy.

No harm done... except some wasted epoxy, time and a little hit to the ego.

It was amazing, even uncured the epoxy was tough stuff, and that skeg was very difficult to remove.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

That's not too bad at all. :D
CC, D15, V10