SB18 Information

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
marcelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by marcelo »

Hi Guys,

To late, :( I applied two coats and the resin (3 coats in total).

Including the seams I used 6 gallons (4 resins + 2 hardeners)

Just for the coats (3) 2.5 gallons + 1.25 hardener (+/-).

Anyway it is done!!! :D

Question, probably we have it somewhere, but, Is there any incompatible between resins, more specific (between west system and marineepoxy?

All the best.

Marcelo
SB18Coral

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Holy epoxy Marcelo that’s a truckload of epoxy. We have used to date about 3 ½ gallons for everything including bonding butt joints in the panels, seam tape, and now the cloth lay-up. For the fiberglass lay-up only we used 1.8 gallons and I felt we could have held back about 10-12 oz of that. Remeber I also used 17 oz cloth and it would take more epoxy to wet out. I’m not trying to alarm you but go easy on the stuff. Are you having the epoxy thicken on you before you get it applied resulting in a lot of wast?

Take a look at the tutorial below on this web site for information about what is referred to as resin rich.

http://bateau2.com/content/view/99/28/

I quote from the above article “Dry fiberglass is white but as the resin penetrates the fabric, it becomes transparent. Do not use more resin than what is necessary to wet the glass.
A laminate with high glass content will be stronger than one with too much resin. Too much resin makes a laminate weaker, not stronger. Resin rich is bad for strength and bad for your budget, do not waste resin.â€

marcelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by marcelo »

Hi Greg,

That is not good, :( .

I will be more cautious in the next steps using the resin.

Thank you very much for the information.

But, I am thinking, I just wetted that until get transparent and squeezed it.

Anyway, now, it is done, one more learning, a lot of them in this project.

I think you already have some advantage in our race...your boat will be lighter... :D

Thank you and have a great week.

Marcelo.
SB18Coral.

sngatlanta
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sngatlanta »

Learning is a good thing. You need to let the epoxy soak in before knowing if there is enough to turn it transparent and then you can add a bit if needed to the spots that are still white. Don’t worry about it.

Your boat will not necessarily weigh that much more than mine if at all. I would imagine based on the amounts you have used that the weave in your cloth is fairly full and will require less filler than mine to start fairing the outside. Granted filler will weigh less than epoxy alone but I used heaver cloth and added at least 4-5 pounds to the boat with that.

Also keep in mind the weight of the boat is nothing when compared to the competence of the crew sailing it. I never have said I was a good sailor. :lol:

When do you plan to turn your boat?

marcelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by marcelo »

Hi Greg,

I will remember that when applying the inside glass.

Did you were a good Sailor? Why is not anymore?

My experience in short one, I started late and it is limited at some lakes in Brazil and some spots in the Brazilian coast. I am taking this project as a mix of pleasure and at the same time a challenge for myself, so far I am having fun. :D .

I have one week vacation in July and I am going to take my daughter to meet Mickey Mouse in Orlando. :D , so I think I will turn it last week of July, when I will be back.

And you, when are you planning to turn yours?

The best regards.

Marcelo
SB18Coral.