BassMunn's PH16 - SPLASHED!!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Gramps
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gramps »

Looking good Bassmunn! Hopefully one day my work will be that clean.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks Gramps.

And I did have plastic sheets under the butt blocks otherwise my wife would have epoxied me to the gate post outside :help:

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

My wife would kill me
If she didn't kill me, Shirley would have died herself. I say God bless 'em, we are a trial. I'm not always sure what they see in us, but Lord knows, I'm grateful :D You're work is very clean; looks so much better than mine. I see the craftsman in you. And of course the great courage on the living room floor. That goes without saying. We lesser men salute you! You are a beacon, a watershed, a clear testimony; a guiding light to what can be. You are crazy. You are reckless. You are a deaf man on the tracks, with your back to the train. You are clearly a great man!

Salutes you Dougster

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swmbo would have gutted me like a fish if I had done that on the house floor. 8O 8O

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Dougster, I hope you're right about the craftsman :?: We'll see in a few weeks time what she looks like.

It's starting to look like a boat so now I'm really getting excited.

I didn't get much done today, just sorted out the laminating mistake I made. We have cold rainy weather today so my epoxy won't set quickly enough.
The weather is looking better tomorrow, so I'll spend some time notching up family points tonight and get stuck into the boat tomorrow.

A question - If I wanted to extend the front deck back towards the console, would I need to put in an extra full size bulkead or could I get away with using a bulkhead that just sits on top of the sole?

Shannon

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Shannon the new rear bulkhead can sit on the sole. Many people like the larger casting deck that this will give you.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I would rather have a larger casting deck and sacrifice some cockpit space. The only time I will be in the cockpit is when I'm behind the wheel, so it really doesn't need to be very big. And I get more hatch space :D

I have another question - I have fitted all the hull panels and got it to as near as perfect as I am capable. I have small gaps in all areas as the plans state I must have with none exceeding 9mm (most of my gaps are about 6mm). What would be the best method to now secure the panels so that I can remove the cable ties.
Could I build epoxy seems in the gaps, let them dry and then remove the cable ties and then complete the seems in the gaps left. Or must I use small pieces of glass to tab the parts together. If I can I would prefer to use fillets as I think the fillets will help keep the shape better. :doh:

What do you experienced guys think?

Thanks
Shannon

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Bassmunn, welcome :!: Spot weld the hull panels together with a mix of epoxy and wood flour. No tape required yet. Keep your tacks small and flat and it will reduce sanding when you remove the zip ties and build real fillets....

Richard

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Thanks Richard, I was hoping I could do that. I take it that I will still need to brush epoxy on to the area first to seal the wood?

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

BassMunn wrote:Thanks Richard, I was hoping I could do that. I take it that I will still need to brush epoxy on to the area first to seal the wood?
No. It's not necessary.

The size of the spot welds is a matter of personal preference. Some people build them right up to the zip ties. Others just tack at 6 or so inch intervals. What you are looking for is a nice radius in your finished fillet so the tape conforms and has no dry spots.

Richard