Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Thanks for all the support. As soon as I get started I'll start a thread; still not sure what I'll call it, but will reference it here.

Sorry it's taken a little while to respond, but I've just gotten back from a mission trip to Miami, FL. Myself and nine other member from our church went down there to help out a church that has a school do some much needed remodeling. There are some nice folks down there are New Life Baptist Church in Carol City, FL.

Now let's see if I can answer some of the questions. I haven't committed to a design just yet, and was a little leary about stating another designers name, but since they work in two different formats I guess it would be OK. I have a book by Nick Schade called "Building Strip-Planked Boats." In it are plans for the "Nymph," but I'm a little intimidated by the reverse tumblehome. I also really like the looks of the Otter by Newfound Woodworks. And since I'm not affraid to make minor modifications above the waterline, I'm considering using Nick Schade's plans but changing the reverse tumblehome (concave) to a regular tumblehome (convex). Mr. Schade calls for the 1/8" thick strips, but (once again) since it's my first strip-plank build, I'm thinking about cutting the strips 3/16" for a little bit of room for error. It is a composite design, glassed both inside and out; but Mr. Schade calls for S-glass instead of E-glass. I'll need to find out what Joel sells, but I'll bet it's the S-glass.

I've got some friends who have offered to put together a website for selling the tickets. Once they get that up and running, I'll get you the information. As my friend said, "You build the boat, we'll get it raffled off."
Shaun
(B.O.B. = Builder Of Boats)

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

OK. I've gotten started on the canoe that I'm going to raffle off to raise some money for my sister-in-law's kidney transplant. I've titled the thread "Canoe for a Cause" and you can find it here in the small boat builder's forum.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24518

If I did that link correctly, you can go straight to it.

Thanks for all the support I've received from this group.
Shaun

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

I got to sail Jimzee again today. Light winds, but still sailing. It has a bit of lee helm, probably because I changed the centerboard to a daggerboard and changed the sail plan. However, the sail is constructed such that I could re-rig as a gaff rig instead of the current standing lug rig. I'm thinking that this would move the center of effort aft a little and maybe balance it out some.

What are your thoughts? :help:

This is making me a little leary of making sail plan changes in future builds. At least not without some learning and much more thought before doing so.
Shaun

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Jimzee 1.1

After four years in the Florida sun, a torn polytarp sail, inadequate maintenance/storage and inexperienced changes to the original plan it is time to bring this boat back into the workshop for repairs. Top on my list are stabilizing and restoring the brightwork deck followed by a new sail and spars .

I never laid any fiberglass on the original deck and may not have sealed below it as well as I should have. As you can see from the pictures the strips started to separate causing the epoxy to crack and delaminate. When I sanded and re-applied the varnish it resulted in darker areas where there is no epoxy, just varnish on the wood. I am hoping that a layer of 4 oz. 'glass above and below will help in this respect.

When I originally built Jimzee I did not have any place to construct the 21 foot mast required in the plan. Thinking it would not be that big of a deal to change the sail plan I acquired a used polytarp lug rig sail from another board member and changed the centerboard to a dagger board. That did not work out too well for me. At this juncture I do not wish to get into changing the dagger board to the designed centerboard but I will go with a sail that is much closer to the original sail plan.
Shaun

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Hang out at the local marinas, talk to people and you will find an cheap mast of the proper size.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

jacquesmm wrote:Hang out at the local marinas, talk to people and you will find an cheap mast of the proper size.
Thanks, Jacq. I had not thought about that.
Shaun

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

I have been doing a lot of prep work getting ready for fresh paint and varnish. Here are a few shots of the new paint on the sides and bottom. I think I like the solid white better than the black graphite bottom. The graphite is still there, I sanded it to get rid of some of the weathered epoxy and to give the paint something to hold onto.

I will sand the white off of the rub rail when I apply the varnish to the deck and rub rail.

I also removed the skeg in the hopes of moving the CLR forward a little and to make it a little more responsive. The CLR needs to move forward because I accidentally moved it back when I changed the centerboard into a daggerboard. It is probably not much of a change but maybe it will help.

Shaun