Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

To put your friends at ease, who seem so determined to not even try to build a boat, maybe this will help explain how simple it is to get on the water with something easy, for starters...

opps... link removed... questionable site. Google has no morals. :?

I'll just leave the rest of the post as is, until I can edit something better in. :lol:

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

To be honest, I don't try too hard to convince them to build their own. Maybe the will ask me to build a boat for them. Just the excuse I need to build another boat. :wink:

Since my wife and I are both off tomorrow for Veteran's Day, we should make some more progress on Jimzee. I'll try to post an update in the evening.

BoH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BoH »

I can certainly relate to the virus. First a canoe, the wife's special request. Then finish the D4 with one of my sons. And a strip built tandem kayak (the wife wants that one bad). And then a VG23 (at least, that's the plan tonight). The VG 23 is for me, but wife wants that one bad, too. At least she has the "want to see a boat built" virus. It helps a lot when the wife is on board. They put up with so much.

Bo

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Biker B.O.B. wrote:To be honest, I don't try too hard to convince them to build their own.
And there are, in fact, some people who, such as they currently choose to be, should never build, or step aboard a boat, especially a small boat. They are a very small group, but need to stay away from boats in a very big way. Or anything motorized. Alright, I'm stretching it... or am I? :?

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Bo - it is great when your wife supports your hobby. I'm very please to actually have mine helping out on this build. :D We just spent three hours fitting and taping frames into the boat.

ks8 - I guess I'm being a little selfish. Building somebody else's boat will feed my BBV but deny them the privilege of building their own.

Anyway, on with the update. We did tape the seems in today. Only one good pic, but then, not much to show. However, I did solve the dilemma of how to tape the keel seam. A short step ladder effectively brought the sheer to waist level where I could bend over to reach the seam. I also realized that I double taped the chines where it called for only a single layer. Oh well, I'm not taking it up now, but it should be plenty strong enough.

You can see dark lines on the mid and rear frames. These are where I cut them for the seats. There are only little tabs left to cut before I remove these. That's why the tape doesn't go all the way up the frames.

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

This project got put aside during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and not just because we were visiting with family. I was boat building none the less, only on a smaller scale. I completed this for my parents.

I did manage to get a little work done here and there.

I destroyed a jigsaw blade :( ...

...cuting a hole in my boat 8O ...

...so that I could install the daggerboard trunk. :) All while the boat was upside down.

We decided to go with a daggerboard for simplicity.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

Well done on the blade destruction! :D

Oh... and the daggerboard trunk too...

Curious... how did you treat the inside of the trunk? Any glass, or just a healthy coat or two of epoxy?

Good to see the build coming along. :)

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Thanks, ks8. I can destroy a lot of things. Lots of practice. :wink:
ks8 wrote:Curious... how did you treat the inside of the trunk? Any glass, or just a healthy coat or two of epoxy?
First was a coat of clear epoxy to prime the wood. Then three healthy coats of epoxy and graphite. I always seem to get little spikes (miniature, pointy mountains) in my graphite/epoxy mix, so I sanded these quickly with the RO sander before gluing the halves together. For glue, I mixed some graphite and woodflour with the epoxy.

My next step is to cut off the excess portion of the daggerboard trunk and 'glass the entire bottom of the boat for extra strength/abrasion resistance. Then I'm on to fairing. :roll: Sand, sand, sand; and then sand some more.

BoH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BoH »

I'm impressed with the damage to the blade. I used to make sawz-all blades look like that when I was remodeling a farmhouse, cutting outlet boxes into the plaster wall with concrete in the lath. One box, one blade. I didn't quite expect that of fiberglass.

Bo

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Nice job on the model. Is that boat going to be your next full size build? :D

Nice job on the blade, too. It must be the type of blade. I've burned up those blades on similar cuts, but they seem to last a long time when cutting only wood. I think they make so much heat that any epoxy around them gets soft and gums up the works.
CC, D15, V10