Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

It is a wood cutting blade. I might have better luck with another type, but I only go through two or three blades per boat. It's the fiberglass that destroys them quickest, and the epoxy doesn't help.

Gary - I've got to get a bigger workshop before I can build anything over 12 feet long. No plans at all for anything like that sharpie. My current model build is a strip planked canoe. That's in preparation for a full sized strip planked canoe or kayak.

First up, though, is a workshop. :D It's even high on her list. I think she wants to get her Jeep back into the garage and stop worrying about dust on the clean laundry.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

i think she wants to get her jeep back into the garage
and stop worrying about dust on the clean laundry
I also wouldnt want to get any on that nice older bmw motorcycle!
nice bike. what year is that bike 1974 or 1972?
sorry about the hijack.

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

topwater wrote: I also wouldnt want to get any on that nice older bmw motorcycle!
nice bike.
That's a 1975 R60/6. It's really a lot of fun, but it is an ongoing project. Currently I'm trying to track down a stock exhaust system for it. Some previous owner put a 2-into-one system on it and it's noisy and doesn't do anything for the power (some say power robbing).

Oh yeah, I throw sheets over the bikes to keep them clean. Well, the BMW and Harley. The Suzuki lives in the dirt. :D

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

We 'glassed the bottom yesterday...

...but the cold weather put a wrinkle in our plans.

Guess I'll be sanding that out and patching it. They are generally 1/2 inch wide and about 10-12 inches long. That epoxy gets thick in the cold weather.

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Well, I started fairing the bottom, and then realized that I hadn't put 'glass on the transom yet. Thankfully, I hadn't done that much fairing (still a lot to go :roll: ), so I started back with epoxy and fiberglass. This is how it looks so far. Hope I can keep it looking really good becuase I intend to keep the transom bright. I've always thought that it was elegant; plus it should go nice with the bright finished deck I'll add later.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Looking good... the blade too..

have not checked this thread in a while.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

She looks great so far. I'm with you on bright transoms, they sure do finish the boat 8)

Will

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

Thanks guys. Time will tell how the brightwork looks on the transom. I'm more concerned about the quality of my work than the aesthetics.

I'm not sure how many of you caught this, but I started fairing the bottom before installing the skeg. :oops: Good thing I figured it out before I got too far along. Well, the skeg is on, it just needs some fiberglass coating for protection becuase I'm sure it will get drug up and down the beach (by other folks) even though I'll build a cart for it. Then I'm back to fairing and that wonderful sanding. :roll:

swidm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by swidm »

I have a lug mainsail for the C12 all boxed up and ready to ship but, for the life of me, I can't find the address you gave me. Could you give it to me again? swidm at yahoo dot com?

Biker B.O.B.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Biker B.O.B. »

swidm wrote:I have a lug mainsail for the C12 all boxed up and ready to ship but, for the life of me, I can't find the address you gave me. Could you give it to me again? swidm at yahoo dot com?
Thanks, I really appreciate that. When I get home tonight I'll email you my address. I've been very busy the past two weeks with training at work (extended hours). Now I've got some comp time and should be able to make some good progress in the next few weeks.

BTW, I'm still fairing.