Page 1 of 1

Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Edit 4/15/14: After four years in the Florida sun and a torn sail it is time for a remake/refresh. This new part of the story picks up at post 194 (which is page 20 for me).

This boat is being built as a tribute to my wife's grandfather, "Papa Jim." Papa Jim was a WWII veteran who lost a leg to a landmine in the European campaign. However, this did not at all diminish his zeal for life. There are many stories about Papa Jim's antics, many of which involve his artificial leg. One of which involves his sinking of a sailboat (on the same lake this one will sail) and having to swim to shore while toting his leg with him.

One day, about a year ago, my father-in-law and I were on the family dock reminiscing about Papa Jim; including the story above. It was also a beautiful day for sailing. I mentioned that it would be nice to have a sailboat, and he agreed. Shortly after that, I decided to build one instead of buying one. It was at some point in the planning stages, probably once my father-in-law decided I was serious abou the build, that he asked if we could name it Jimzee as a tribute to Papa. No hesitation here, I'd be honored.

Now, with one boat built and sailing, it's time to get started on "Jimzee."

Getting started

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:55 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Now, motorcycles are more than a hobby to me. And in the six weeks between the completion of the V12 and the start of Jimzee, I managed to add two motorcycles to the garage. So, I had to make some room to actually build the boat.

Yes, there is room for four motorcycles and a 12' boat.

So, once the supplies were gathered, we could actually start. My wife is helping me on this one, but none of the picture I took with here in them met her approval for posting on the internet. Here is a pic of the first cut.

And on the first day we even got started with joining the pieces together with 'glass tape.

I opted for the 'glass tape becuase I just don't want butt blocks on this build. I'm going for the best I can do. So, I expect this build to take longer; no deadlines.

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 am
by TomW
Nice sentiments Shawn. Glad you can do this.

Tom

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:27 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
We made some more progress today. Stitched her together and set the tack welds.

Yep. Me and my lovely assistant, seen below.

I'm glad that my wife has decided to help me with this boat. Not only is it time we can spend together on a project, but she has already pointed out easier ways to do a couple of things; like not completely disassembling the entire bottom when I had to cut 3/8" off of each side of frame B.

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:44 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
This 12 oz. biax tape is a bear to wet out. It simply refuses to absorb epoxy. It took me three hours to prime the outside seams and apply tape to the keel, both chines and the bow. The transom will wait for another day as I'm a little short on patience right now. I'd swear that I could apply two layers of 6 oz. biax in less time than it took me to apply this 12 oz. stuff.

I haven't tried pre-soaking long pieces of tape, only short ones. But I think that I'll try that for the inside seams.

OK. Getting that out helped me relax a little. I think I can get to sleep shortly now.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:15 am
by Cracker Larry
I'm going for the best I can do. So, I expect this build to take longer; no deadlines.
There ya go, that's the way to build a boat 8)
This 12 oz. biax tape is a bear to wet out. It simply refuses to absorb epoxy.
If you figure 1 oz of epoxy for every foot of tape it will work out about right. For a 16' strip of tape I make 16 oz. of epoxy, roll out the tape, pour the epoxy evenly along its length, then go back with a chip brush and work it in. Only takes a couple of minutes.

I don't have much luck with pre-soaking, but many people do.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:10 am
by gk108
Those bottom panels sure go on easier than the last one, don't they? I haven't had much luck with wetting the tape before it is applied, either. I think I've done it on a grand total of about 8 ft. of tape. Mostly on afterthought type things where it's about the only practical way, like tabbing the mast partner to the frame on the underside. I figured I'd have less resin drips running down the frame that way.

When I used the 12 oz. biax on the D15, I just used a brush to get the resin out of the tub and on the tape. After that, I used a cheap silicone spatula to spread it and force the resin into the glass.

Here's my question. Are you going to bring it to Crystal River? 8)

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:11 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Crystal River is only 30 minutes from me; actually in the same county. But, I don't know what gathering you are talking about. I might consider it, but there are two problems. Will it be done in time? And I don't have (nor do I plan to make) a trailer for it. My current plans are to move it to the lake, when its finished, using my 6x10 utility trailer.

As for the tape... I mix three ounces at a time. More would just run down the sides and drip on the floor before I could get to it. I'd spread it out a little with a spreader and work it back and forth, again and again, until I finally wet the tape. The bottom (facing up) portion of the tape was easier but still slow. It's like it just moved over the top of the tape. The sides were a nightmare. :x I was amazed at how many times I'd have to work that epoxy, catch the runs, work the epoxy some more, and still not completely wet it out.

Doubling up on 6 oz. biax sounds better, until you realize that the plans call for doubled 12 oz. on the inside chines. That would be four layers of 6 oz. Hopefully working on the inside will make that part easier. No need to worry about runaway epoxy.

I did try a foam roller at one point. It woked better on the "butt blocks" than on the chine tape. I'll have to pick up some more chip brushes and try that.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, both of you.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm
by TomW
The Crystal River meeting is our annual boat builders meeting where we show off the boats we build, shoot the bs, do some fishing, drink some refreshments, have a cook-out and have some demonstrations by Shine.

Here is the link to this years planning http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?t=17766

Hope to meet you there.

Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:46 pm
by Cracker Larry
Shawn, I wish I was closer, I could show you what I'm talking about. Maybe Ken or someone close can do that :?:

It's just a matter of technique. I'll try to explain again.

First measure and pre-cut the tape.

Second, with a roller, wet the complete area that the tape will cover with epoxy. A fairly heavy coat, but not to the point of running.

Third, roll your pre-cut tape out over the wet epoxy and smooth it flat. I just use my hands for this. Doing this will almost completely wet out the bottom side of the cloth.

Fourth, mix about 1 ounce epoxy per foot of tape. I don't have any trouble working with up to 20 feet of tape/20 oz. of epoxy at a time, even if you only pour out a few feet at a time. Pour it evenly across the top of the tape if it is vertical. Sometime's I'll pour it a few inches above the tape, so the runs will take it where it needs to be. Dobb it in with the chip brush and keep moving.

fifth, don't be impatient. It takes time for the cloth to absorb the resin. Don't try to get it completely wet right away, just get it evenly spread and mostly wet, working to the end of the tape.

Six, go back to the start and work down again with the few spots that haven't completely wet out.

At this point, runs aren't a bad thing. You have to pre-coat the entire boat with epoxy anyway, so just spread any excess wherever you can. Got to do it sooner or later.

Hope this helps :D

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:49 pm
by tech_support
It takes a few seconds for the epoxy to penetrate the tape, so keep working forward even if its not clear. Here is a video....

http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/wetting_tape.php

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:28 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks Shine. :D Wish I had seen that video earlier. It will certainly make the inside seams much easier. I'll definately be purchasing a bunch of chip brushes now.

To give a little perspective... In the time it took to play the whole video, I probably got about one foot along just the top portion of the tape. And maybe would have completed about six inches below the chine.

But, for the most part it turned out good. There are a few places where the tape lifed off of the chine and I got air bubbles, but it's wet out pretty well.

This first pic looks bad becuase of the texture of the biaxial tape and reflections. But you can see that I've completed taping the outside seams and one coat of epoxy on the outside surface of the hull.

Now for a different angle without the flash. You can see the biaxial tape and compare it to the 9 oz. regular tape. The 9 oz. tape is covering the joint between sheets of plywood that make up the longer hull side.

Now, on to the inside.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:35 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Cracker Larry wrote:
Second, with a roller, wet the complete area that the tape will cover with epoxy. A fairly heavy coat, but not to the point of running.
Here is one major difference. I rolled a relatively thin coat, it barely held the tape in place. Shine's video also helped. It's just so different than the 6 oz biax that I used in my first build and I was suprised.

To all, I'll try to make it to Crystal River. Doubt I'll have Jimzee done by then. We'll see.

Edit: I just checked out the thread on the meet in Crystal River. I've got to be at Hillsborough River State Park for the State Envirothon Contest Friday and Saturday of that weekend. I might make it there by 4 or 5.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm
by Trebuchet
Looks great!

That plywood sure is handsome.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 am
by Biker B.O.B.
Trebuchet wrote:Looks great!

That plywood sure is handsome.
Thanks, it's standard Okume 1088 that I got locally. It's almost a shame that I'll have to put paint over it. As a forester I can really appreciate the natural beauty of wood. I hope to be able to keep the transom bright. To this end I used the 9 oz woven tape on the transom seams. It just wets out so much better than the 12 biaxial tape.

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:27 am
by Gramps
It sure is looking good! Almost looks like a toy barn is in order :lol:

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
You got that right. I need to get this boat out of my garage. I'm thinking about a 14' x 24' wooden shed. I'll be paying off my truck by the end of the year, and some of that money will go towards materials for my workshop. I also promised the CFO new counter tops and appliances in the kitchen. So, the workshop may come just in time for my next build.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:14 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I made a little progress this weekend. The rub rails are now glued on.

Well, I'd post a pic but the site won't let me past the link. :x :x

On to the next issue. This boat is beamier than the first one, so I've got to figure out a way to reache the inside of the keel to tape it. This is one reason that I'm working on the rub rail now. I'll try to find a way to tip the boat on it's side (after taping the chine seams and transom) so that I can reach the keel.

Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm
by ks8
It's great being able to work on the hull on its side, but I did so after the structure was constructed enough to be permanently shaped and fairly immune from accidentally introducing twist in any subsequent construction phase.

Do your best to make sure all is true and square before and during the taping and cure. Turning it on its side may introduce a twist, and you don't want the tape to hold a tension of twist, if you can avoid it. I used something like a ladder that I set up over the hull, to reach to the keel seam without straining my back, crawling out on the ladder. Of course, the *ladder* was not resting on the sheer, but about an inch above it on some simple horses I made for just that purpose. No pictures of it ... sorry. Also, because my hull was in a lined up cradle, I could lean some of my weight, while laying out on the ladder, on the panels while doing the taping, to somewhat brace myself during the maneuvers without fear of drastically throwing it off square. I quickly measured before it cured to make sure all was still square. I also did that seam in two or three sessions (time constraints with work, etc), and put the overlaps at a frame position and at the CB slot, where there would be plenty of aditional tape, or it would be cut away anyway for the slot. This relieved some of the pressure on me, and on my schedule, and made for a more enjoyable build... over seven years! :lol:

Whatever you do, keep checking those lnes and measurements for square while moving the hull around, before anything cures and makes a twist permanent, not that it would be the end of the world. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:02 am
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8 - thanks for the input. I do plan to have everything else taped and cured before turning the boat on its side; possibly even the frames. Your post made me think that perhaps I should tip it on its side to tape the keel seam, and then flatten it out and double check the measurements before it cures.

So far, everything is straigh and properly proportioned. One of the reasons I did the rub rails this early is to help stiffen the hull before I get much further along.

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:28 pm
by ks8
Have fun working it out. Personally, I'd try and work out a way to do it flat and level, for a cleaner lamination, but the main thing is that all is true as it cures. I found that it is very difficult to tell such things because of the curves of boats, and more difficult if it is on its side. It wasn't that difficult to setup the ladder type of support to shimmy out on a foot or two, and I think the CV16 has a wider beam than the C12. I found the support issue over the work to be a less stressful thing to deal with than whether or not the hull shifted on me without me being aware of it.

Either way, enjoy. :D

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:38 pm
by swidm
That C12 sure is looking good! Sorry I didn't check in earlier though you are doing just fine without my 2 cents. In fact, you are doing better than I did since I tried to glass the plywood together but ended up having to retrofit butblocks because my joints wouldn't take the bend. Also, love the look of the Okume though I still think it would be worth it to glass the exterior of the hull rather than just epoxying it...though you might have already done that and I just can't tell from the pictures.

A few bits of advice for what it is worth. On taping seams I do it a bit different than is suggested here. I usually roll my fiberglass tape and dip it into the epoxy squeezing it several times to work the epoxy through. Then I unroll it out of the pot using two fingers to squeegee out the excess epoxy. I then lay the completely whetted tape on the seam. This is much quicker and leads to less drips when you get used to it. It is problematic in the fibers that come off the tape. I tend to scrape them off my gloved hands on a handy piece of scrap. Also, I trim the rough edges of the tape down with a sharp chisel before sanding.

Now, I didn't read the instructions (what else is new?) and went ahead and stitched and glued the boat like I learned which meant I started with the inside seams first then did the outside seams. From the sounds of it (I could be mistaken) you did the outside seams first. Is this correct? Either way, you do have to be concerned about taking the boat out of square when taping the inside seams. Even the rubrails could have a negative effect if they don't bend similar ways. My advice would be to work with the boat flat and in a cradle made to match the shape of the boat. If you look in my gallery at the boatshow pictures you might see the collapsible cradle I used with my boat. I was able to reach and do the middle seam just fine without having to use a ladder though my back did tourture me for a little while afterwards.

My proceedure for fillets and taping the inside of the boat may be a bit different as well and was developed after building the c12, btw. Common advice is to do fillets with thickened epoxy spreading them as best as possible (plastic spoons work well) then go back and sand before applying the tape. What I found out is you do the fillets and then tape while the fillets are still wet and malliable. Put dry tape (not wetted out) on top of the thickened epoxy fillets and then shape the whole thing. Eliminates the problem of the thickened epoxy sticking to your gloves and makes for a nice curve. Then wet out the tape as needed using your gloved hands. This method eliminates sanding (yeah) and makes everything go very quickly. The downside is the speed which has you scrambling around like crazy trying to get things done before the epoxy goes off. Some slow hardener and doing the hull in stages does help. I did all the the fillets and seams on my 12' dory in about 2 hours (including prep and cleanup) and for 2 mouseboats (8' prams) in about 4 hours using this method. I later used thickened epoxy and smoothed with my gloved hand to fill in the weave.

I think you will be very happy with your choice to build a C12!

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:25 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, ks8 & swidm.

There are a bunch of things to respond to. But let me start with an update. I checked widths at frames, removed the frames, added one spreader, measured and leveled repeatedly, and taped the starbord chine with both layers of 12 oz. biaxial tape. I used Shine's method of wet on wet (fillet and both layers of tape) using a chip brush and wet it out perfectly, and with less hassle than the outside. I ran out of time, or else I would have completed the port chine too.

By removing the frames I accomplished a few different goals. The sheer lines are smoother when viewed along the length of the boat, one steady arc and no turns. The beam is within 1/2 inch of what it was with the frames in place. I was able to tape the chines with one continuous piece of tape instead of shorter sections between frames. And, I was able to partialy correct a mistake I made when taping the outside seams.

I've leveled and measured to make things as correct as possible before this seam cures. There is not twist, and the diagonals are within 1/8th of an inch; and at 147 inches, 1/8th sounds good.

The ladder idea sounds interesting, but there is no room in my garage. If I built it, I couldn't get past it. I've got about 24" of room on each side of the boat except the bow, which is within 12" of the door (but that can be opened). Maybe once I get my workshop built.

But wait... there's more. 8O :D

I intent to cover the bottom with a sheet of 6 oz. 'glass, but I want to get all the seams completed first. I'll also complete the port chine, transom and bow seams, install the frames, tape them to the hull, and tape what I can reach of the keel seam before I try to tip the boat to reach the middle of the keel seam.

:? But now that I think about it. Most if what I have trouble reaching will get cut out to make room for the centerboard trunk. So, why do it?

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 am
by ks8
I suggest taping the middle even though it will be partially cut out later. Little effort, and it will add much strength while shifting the hull about, until you actually cut the section out. :)

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:15 am
by swidm
Thinking about it, I kinda agree about not doing the middle section where the trunk goes. The rest of the taped seams as well as the tape on the outside should be more than enough to hold the boat rigid. As for the frames, I cut mine down a bit when I was constructing the boat. I made them both shorter and cut out material in the middle.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:01 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Help me decide… Daggerboard or Centerboard?

Sometimes it just helps to talk things through. So, here are a few of my thoughts.

-This will be a family boat, extended family; and guests. Possibly be used more for fishing than sailing.
-There are already two old (20+ years old) boats at the house, a leaky aluminum jon boat and a fiberglass flat bottom “skiff.â€

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 am
by ks8
Centerboard will let you adjust helm somewhat (as in weather or lee helm since you can adjust the CLR (center of lateral resistance)), and be very forgiving on bumps, but the slot will cause more drag (that can be minimized), and you will lose real estate in the cockpit. Helm can be adjusted with sail trim also or even by shifting your weight to change the hull shape that is mostly in the water, and a daggerboard is less drag and takes up less space, and easy to haul up or out, and easier to stow and swap in a spare. I don't think it is a clear thing to say that a CB helps you sail better than a DB.

But...

I'm glad I went with a CB for bump tolerance, for when others borrow the boat, and the CB loss of real estate should also discourage overloading when borrowed, and gives me something to lean on with my feet since I built it plenty strong. And the CV16 design has it also be the mount for the main sheet block. Overall I'm glad its a CB and not a DB. A clean slot finish was a challenge since it is 3 or 4 times longer with a CB. I did however add a *slot on top* modification for cleaning, or for an emergency DB if the CB snaps without warning while scooting the coast.

The more I think about it, the more ideas I have for the next one. :lol:

The DB may sail better, and certainly be easier to build. I'm glad for the CB none the less.... bump... scrape... running over someone's anchor rode... or any manner of flotsam or jetsam. A grounding of a DB can have it pop up out of the hull... or break... or... let's not talk about the other possibilities. I like the CB. If I went for a performance boat that wasn't for relaxing cruising, and always for very safe water, I'd probably go DB and probably always build the DB to snap before the trunk or hull, and shape the forward part of the bottom of the DB to encourage it kicking up into the slot rather than directing all the energy aft, stressing the board, trunk and hull to possible failure of one or more of those structures. Hope that helps. :)

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:33 am
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8.

Lots of great info, thanks.

I know that I didn't give all the details about how it will be sailed, where and by whom; but all your suggestions lean heavily towards a DB for my applications. It will be sailed almost exclusively on a deep (for FL), fresh water lake. The only obstacle I have to worry about running the DB into is the sandy bottom, and I should know when I'm getting close to that.

I'll use this boat for what I call sport-pleasure. I want it to go fast, but I won't be racing anybody since it will be the only sailboat on the lake. If I feel like I'm going fast, I'll have a lot of fun. :D

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:17 pm
by ks8
Biker B.O.B. wrote:I want it to go fast, but I won't be racing anybody since it will be the only sailboat on the lake.
Not yet anyway, until someone else builds one to race you, when you show them how easy it is to build. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:20 am
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8 wrote:Not yet anyway, until someone else builds one to race you, when you show them how easy it is to build. :)
I'll be the one to build that second sailboat; if someone else wants to sail too. Everybody I talk to is amazed that I build my own boats. They all state that they would never attmept it, no matter how much I tell that that it's pretty easy.

I've got the boat builders virus. After this is the rowboat. Then there's a list that I haven't set priorities to yet. A boat to keep at my house (sail or power, or human powered; don't know yet), a strip plank canoe or kayak, a small 50's style runabout, a mini speedboat or hydroplane, and a pocket cruiser. Too many options. :help:

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:18 pm
by ks8
To put your friends at ease, who seem so determined to not even try to build a boat, maybe this will help explain how simple it is to get on the water with something easy, for starters...

opps... link removed... questionable site. Google has no morals. :?

I'll just leave the rest of the post as is, until I can edit something better in. :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
To be honest, I don't try too hard to convince them to build their own. Maybe the will ask me to build a boat for them. Just the excuse I need to build another boat. :wink:

Since my wife and I are both off tomorrow for Veteran's Day, we should make some more progress on Jimzee. I'll try to post an update in the evening.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 am
by BoH
I can certainly relate to the virus. First a canoe, the wife's special request. Then finish the D4 with one of my sons. And a strip built tandem kayak (the wife wants that one bad). And then a VG23 (at least, that's the plan tonight). The VG 23 is for me, but wife wants that one bad, too. At least she has the "want to see a boat built" virus. It helps a lot when the wife is on board. They put up with so much.

Bo

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:22 am
by ks8
Biker B.O.B. wrote:To be honest, I don't try too hard to convince them to build their own.
And there are, in fact, some people who, such as they currently choose to be, should never build, or step aboard a boat, especially a small boat. They are a very small group, but need to stay away from boats in a very big way. Or anything motorized. Alright, I'm stretching it... or am I? :?

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:32 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Bo - it is great when your wife supports your hobby. I'm very please to actually have mine helping out on this build. :D We just spent three hours fitting and taping frames into the boat.

ks8 - I guess I'm being a little selfish. Building somebody else's boat will feed my BBV but deny them the privilege of building their own.

Anyway, on with the update. We did tape the seems in today. Only one good pic, but then, not much to show. However, I did solve the dilemma of how to tape the keel seam. A short step ladder effectively brought the sheer to waist level where I could bend over to reach the seam. I also realized that I double taped the chines where it called for only a single layer. Oh well, I'm not taking it up now, but it should be plenty strong enough.

You can see dark lines on the mid and rear frames. These are where I cut them for the seats. There are only little tabs left to cut before I remove these. That's why the tape doesn't go all the way up the frames.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:12 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
This project got put aside during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and not just because we were visiting with family. I was boat building none the less, only on a smaller scale. I completed this for my parents.

I did manage to get a little work done here and there.

I destroyed a jigsaw blade :( ...

...cuting a hole in my boat 8O ...

...so that I could install the daggerboard trunk. :) All while the boat was upside down.

We decided to go with a daggerboard for simplicity.

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:37 pm
by ks8
Well done on the blade destruction! :D

Oh... and the daggerboard trunk too...

Curious... how did you treat the inside of the trunk? Any glass, or just a healthy coat or two of epoxy?

Good to see the build coming along. :)

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:11 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks, ks8. I can destroy a lot of things. Lots of practice. :wink:
ks8 wrote:Curious... how did you treat the inside of the trunk? Any glass, or just a healthy coat or two of epoxy?
First was a coat of clear epoxy to prime the wood. Then three healthy coats of epoxy and graphite. I always seem to get little spikes (miniature, pointy mountains) in my graphite/epoxy mix, so I sanded these quickly with the RO sander before gluing the halves together. For glue, I mixed some graphite and woodflour with the epoxy.

My next step is to cut off the excess portion of the daggerboard trunk and 'glass the entire bottom of the boat for extra strength/abrasion resistance. Then I'm on to fairing. :roll: Sand, sand, sand; and then sand some more.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 pm
by BoH
I'm impressed with the damage to the blade. I used to make sawz-all blades look like that when I was remodeling a farmhouse, cutting outlet boxes into the plaster wall with concrete in the lath. One box, one blade. I didn't quite expect that of fiberglass.

Bo

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:48 am
by gk108
Nice job on the model. Is that boat going to be your next full size build? :D

Nice job on the blade, too. It must be the type of blade. I've burned up those blades on similar cuts, but they seem to last a long time when cutting only wood. I think they make so much heat that any epoxy around them gets soft and gums up the works.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:36 am
by Biker B.O.B.
It is a wood cutting blade. I might have better luck with another type, but I only go through two or three blades per boat. It's the fiberglass that destroys them quickest, and the epoxy doesn't help.

Gary - I've got to get a bigger workshop before I can build anything over 12 feet long. No plans at all for anything like that sharpie. My current model build is a strip planked canoe. That's in preparation for a full sized strip planked canoe or kayak.

First up, though, is a workshop. :D It's even high on her list. I think she wants to get her Jeep back into the garage and stop worrying about dust on the clean laundry.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 am
by topwater
i think she wants to get her jeep back into the garage
and stop worrying about dust on the clean laundry
I also wouldnt want to get any on that nice older bmw motorcycle!
nice bike. what year is that bike 1974 or 1972?
sorry about the hijack.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:55 am
by Biker B.O.B.
topwater wrote: I also wouldnt want to get any on that nice older bmw motorcycle!
nice bike.
That's a 1975 R60/6. It's really a lot of fun, but it is an ongoing project. Currently I'm trying to track down a stock exhaust system for it. Some previous owner put a 2-into-one system on it and it's noisy and doesn't do anything for the power (some say power robbing).

Oh yeah, I throw sheets over the bikes to keep them clean. Well, the BMW and Harley. The Suzuki lives in the dirt. :D

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:06 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
We 'glassed the bottom yesterday...

...but the cold weather put a wrinkle in our plans.

Guess I'll be sanding that out and patching it. They are generally 1/2 inch wide and about 10-12 inches long. That epoxy gets thick in the cold weather.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:17 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Well, I started fairing the bottom, and then realized that I hadn't put 'glass on the transom yet. Thankfully, I hadn't done that much fairing (still a lot to go :roll: ), so I started back with epoxy and fiberglass. This is how it looks so far. Hope I can keep it looking really good becuase I intend to keep the transom bright. I've always thought that it was elegant; plus it should go nice with the bright finished deck I'll add later.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:20 pm
by mecreature
Looking good... the blade too..

have not checked this thread in a while.

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:06 pm
by wegcagle
She looks great so far. I'm with you on bright transoms, they sure do finish the boat 8)

Will

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:08 am
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks guys. Time will tell how the brightwork looks on the transom. I'm more concerned about the quality of my work than the aesthetics.

I'm not sure how many of you caught this, but I started fairing the bottom before installing the skeg. :oops: Good thing I figured it out before I got too far along. Well, the skeg is on, it just needs some fiberglass coating for protection becuase I'm sure it will get drug up and down the beach (by other folks) even though I'll build a cart for it. Then I'm back to fairing and that wonderful sanding. :roll:

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm
by swidm
I have a lug mainsail for the C12 all boxed up and ready to ship but, for the life of me, I can't find the address you gave me. Could you give it to me again? swidm at yahoo dot com?

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 am
by Biker B.O.B.
swidm wrote:I have a lug mainsail for the C12 all boxed up and ready to ship but, for the life of me, I can't find the address you gave me. Could you give it to me again? swidm at yahoo dot com?
Thanks, I really appreciate that. When I get home tonight I'll email you my address. I've been very busy the past two weeks with training at work (extended hours). Now I've got some comp time and should be able to make some good progress in the next few weeks.

BTW, I'm still fairing.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm
by swidm
Sail is in the Mail! :D

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
swidm wrote:Sail is in the Mail! :D
Thanks. :D That is really cool of you to do that. It's just one of the things that makes this forum so great; helpful, friendly people.

God Bless You.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:55 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I got the sail. 8O It's nicer than I imagined. Thanks Scott!

Here it is, laid out in my front yard. There's no place in my house to spread it out.

Also, a little update. I've finished fairing the bottom and applied the first coat of graphite. I'm thinking I'll finish fairing the sides before I add the next two coats of epoxy/graphite. Maybe by then I'll decide if I want to paint over the epoxy; use the paint as in indicator of wear, and the epoxy/graphite as backup in case I don't get to the boat as often as I like for check-up and maintenance. Remember, this is for my wife's family and will not be under my care at all times.

For those who have followed this build closely, I tried mixing white pigment and graphite into the epoxy. It actually worked better than I had hoped. But, in order to get a consistent color, I've got to mix enough epoxy/pigment/graphite to coat the entire bottom in one mix. Thus, the thoughts of painting over it. Here's a pic for those curious folks out there.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:27 am
by gk108
If you do paint it, the coating you have should be easy to cover. That will probably make touch-up easier, too. Looks good to me. :D

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:56 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
gk108 wrote:If you do paint it, the coating you have should be easy to cover. That will probably make touch-up easier, too. Looks good to me. :D
I'm thinking more and more about painting the bottom. At least I'll know that when the paint is worn there is still a few layers of epoxy/graphite to get through before reaching the fiberglass. Plenty of safety margin in case I don't see it or get to repair it for a few months.

I've got the first coat of quikfair on and sanded. It took care of just about everything. Other than the ends (bow and transom), there is nothing larger than half the size of the palm of my hand that needs filling. Well, I do need to work on the butt splice on the port side. I've been debating whether to fix these before the flip, or when it's once again upside-down. I'm leaning towards finishing the fairing, and maybe even a coat or two of primer. That way, when it's upside-down for paint, every little nick will show and make final preparations for paint much easier. Sounds like the best idea, doesn't it?

I know, pics. So, here ya go, a pic after the first coat of quikfair has been sanded.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Got the second coat of primer on. So, Jimzee's ready for the flip. :)

Now I just need a crew for the flip. Luckily, it's a 12' boat, so a "crew" really only consists of one other guy. The beer should be cheap! :P

Here's in interesting thing I noticed. The epoxy/graphite/white pigment mix is almost the same color as the primer. Now I know that the Bainbridge White will cover it just fine.

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:05 pm
by wegcagle
She looks REALLY good 8) You've gotta be gettin' a little excited huh? :D

Will

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
wegcagle wrote:She looks REALLY good 8) You've gotta be gettin' a little excited huh? :D

Will
Thanks, Will.

You bet I'm excited. I can see that bright finished, strip-planked deck that I'm going to finish it with. A lot of work to do before that. The seats, mast step and partner, deck supports, more fairing 8O , and painting; all before I can start on that deck. Then it's upside-down again to finish the underside of the deck and paint the bottom/sides/transom before the final righting to finish the deck and install hardware.

Tomorrow evening I've got a couple of guys from church coming over to help me flip it. Then it's back to work. I've also got to figure out where all the fittings/rigging will end up. What's needed; what's not. Had considered the longitudinal seating that swidm and GK108 had done, but there is a lot to be said about sailing from sitting on the bottom. I'm leaning towards installing rails at seat height, at the same distance from the sides as the deck, for some lower back support.

Lots to do; lots to do. Still months away from splashing it, but I know I'll enjoy building it as much as sailing it. :D

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:39 pm
by Swiftershifter
Hey Shaun,

I just cuaght up with these pages and saw that you posted a photo of the model you built for Mom & me. Just wanted to let everyone else know that you put as much effort into nthe models as you do the real thing! This sits on the mantel above the fireplace.

About the blades. I have seen the thickness of the epoxy and glass where the trunk attaches to the bottom of the boat and am not surprised at all to see it work out! Maybe a little less aggressiveness when pushing the saw will help keep the temperature down, thereby causing less gumming of the teeeth. Maybe not.

The boat looks good. Can't wait to come back down and give you a hand.

Dad

Re: Jimzee: A C12 Tribute

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
What's up? Where's my post? Why can I only find my thread under "View your posts" and not in the "Small Boat Builders" section?

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Edit: The new format had me lost for a little bit.

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Not much to report. I've been working on fairing the inside and getting ready to mount seats and the deck. Most importantly, my dad stopped by for a visit and we mulled over details on the boat and figured out how to accomplish mounting for some of the hardware. He also took rough dimensions for the deck parts. If I'm not careful, and diligent, he'll have those parts cut and delivered long before I'm ready. Geuss I'll be spreading quikfair and burning up sandpaper here for the next few weeks.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:48 am
by ks8
Waiting to see that strip planked deck. :D Will you alernate different tone strips for maximum effect? What sort of wood flour for the bonds? Contrast or blend? She'll be a beauty!

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Yes I will alternate wood types, but not with ever strip. Each strip will be 3/8" wide, with three sapele (sp? could be saple) to one southern pine. These will contrast nicely, and the pine will match the pine rubrail I already installed (before deciding on the deck). This sequence will follow the railing and be about three inches wide. To finish off the deck ahead of the bow frame I'll use four inch wide sapele with 3/8" pine accents between boards.

This is my first attempt at anything remotely like this. But I'm thinking that the fitting will be much like traditional carpentry. So, each piece will be glued to the next with wood glue, and then (once assembled) will be sealed and reinforced with epoxy and fiberglass. Epoxy needs a gap, I don't plan to leave any.

We'll see how it all pulls together.

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:24 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Got some more work done this weekend. Mostly seat cleats and mast step. But the most interesting thing for me this weekend was when I totaled up my build log hours. I, personally, have put 78 hours into it so far. When you add in the hours that my father and wife have helped, we're talking about 93 man-hours. I'm logging hours mostly out of curiosity. The first build seemed to take longer than expected, but I didn't keep track, with this one I'll know.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:54 am
by wegcagle
Sounds like you cranking this one out Shaun :!: I can't wait to see the strip planked deck. My next boat (yes, I have the BBV) will be strip planked. I've been drooling over a few mahogany runabouts on a competitors website, thinking why doesn't Jacques design one of those for us :doh: It's not like he's a busy man or anything :lol: Anyway we need lots of pictures

Will

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Don't worry, I'll post pics when there is something to photograph. And plenty during the deck building. Right now I've got to order hardware and get that placed and holes drilled, epoxied and redrilled. Then I've got to fair and paint the inside, or most, before I start the deck.

Anyway, that brings up a question...

Should I mix stainless steel, brass and bronze hardware? I like the oldschool look of the bronze and brass, but some things I can only (easily?) get in stainless. It's looking like I can get bronze oarlcks, brass cleats, and stainless pulleys, pintles & gudgeons. Or, I can just get stainless. Your thoughts are welcome; just don't get offended if I go another way.

Thanks

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 pm
by wegcagle
Joel may be able to find or at least forward you to someone. I do know that there is a competitors website, whom I am not going to name, which specializes in old chris craft style runabout boat plans. If you can find them, they mention that they have contacts to places that supply the old runabout hardware, bronze hardware, etc. Personally, I would email Joel first. Knowing this company he would probably give you some of the best prices anyway. :D

Will

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 am
by gk108
Jamestown Distributors has bronze pintles and gudgeons. I went with SS on mine, mostly because of the price. Generally, I used SS on the running rigging and rudder hardware and bronze for all the hull fittings and fasteners.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Will, Gary,

Thanks for the information. Glad to know I'm not the only one to mix metals like that. I like Gary's idea of bronze deck hardware and SS rigging and rudder hardware. That really only leaves one piece in question. Becuase the halyard serves double duty as a forestay, and I'll have a full deck up front, I'll have a pulley mounted on the deck near the point of the bow. I'm leaning toward bronze; then the only SS permanently attached to the boat would be the gudgeons.

I like that. Thanks for helping me think that through. :)

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I took the day off today and got some work done on Jimzee. I've ordered some of the hardware and decided to mix metals. Brass cleats (two forward and two at the stern), bronze oarlocks and sockets, stainless pintles, gudgeons and pulleys. My father also delivered the resawn and planed wood for the deck. Aren't fathers great. :D Thanks, Dad!

I'll start with a little teaser for those interested in the deck. The two woods are Sapele and Southern Yellow Pine. They make a nice contrast. On the left is a bundle of 3/8" by 3/8" strips. On the right are different lengths of 3/8" x 4" planks.

A closer look helps you see the nice contrast of the two different woods.

Now for a couple shots of work that I've actually accomplished. In addition to more fairing, I installed the seat tops and some of the deck supports. The hole in the rear seat will be sealed for flotation, but accessible for installing the lower gudgeon or for periodic inspections.

This is a close-up of the deck supports.

Maybe I'll get some better pics once I remove all the "clamps."

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:07 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I used the long weekend to get some work done on Jimzee. I've just about finished fairing and priming the interior horizontal surfaces. The vertical surfaces will get faired and painted once the boat is upside down again. Not sure if I'll paint the horizontal surfaces before flipping it upside down, while it's upside down (and I'm painting most of the interior), or when it's right side up again. The one thing I do know, the bow area (ahead of frame A), will get painted next. The deck is the next major item, and this area will be hard to access once the deck is installed.

One item to note, all that prep work is showing in the primer. It's looking better than my first boat.

A shot from the bow.

And from the stern.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:26 pm
by ks8
Nice and clean. :D

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:04 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Wow! It's been more than two months since I've posted. Well, work hasn't stopped on the boat, but the paying job has taken a lot of my time. I've spent four weeks at various summer camps; three of which I run. Can't take this project with me, so progress slows seriously in the summer. On top of that, I'm adding the strips along the rail for my "deck." After 15 or so minutes of work, I've got to wait ten hours for glue to set. But, I've got a plan to finish that part by Friday.

Anyway, more pics.

This is a close up of the strip build railing as it stands. It's only five of eight strips, each 3/8th of an inch wide. Of course, there is the plywood from the hull and the two strips of rubrail too; each 1/4 inch.

Here is a view along a longer section to help you see where it is going. It should clean up nicely by the time I'm finished.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get to post some pics of the completed rails.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:34 pm
by topwater
Shaun was wondering were you were... rails are going to look awsome....check out Capemans build he is
doing somthing similar with his rails.

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 am
by gk108
That's gonna look real good. And you'll be able heel on over and dip the rail without shipping a bunch of green water. 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:53 am
by tech_support
nice laminated rails :!: Good to see the update

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:48 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for the compliments; especially considering what you've built. Gary was an inspiration for having more brightwork than my first built.

Topwater: I'll have to look for Capeman's build, I haven't seen his deck.

Well, I've now got all of the strips glued up. Here is a pic of the last one clamped and drying. I've got plans to add a coaming along the rail, and a deck with 4" wide boards of sapele up front coming back past the first frame. Then there are the red oak accents, such as the mast collar my father is working on.

Just enough to whet your appitite. So, here's the pic.

And here is a picture of the starboard rail without all the clamps in the way.

I'll need at least the better part of a day to fit the deck, and I'm going for a ride with other church members tomorrow before leaving on a trip. So, it will be another week or two before I can report back with more progress.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 pm
by gk108
Gary was an inspiration for having more brightwork than my first built.
Who? Me? :oops: :D
Between you and cape man, I'm inspired, myself. I have a bunch of ¼"x¾"x10' cypress strips leftover from making cleats for 2 boats. Not enough for a canoe, but now, I'm almost certain that they will somehow find their way into my next project.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm
by colonialc19
The boat is lookin' sharp :!: and the bright work is really gonna set her off 8) , has me wanting some bright work on my build now, definately on the next one,

Keep up the good work,
Daniel

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm
by ks8
Beautiful! :) Will there be an inner coaming?

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:44 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks, guys.
ks8 wrote:Beautiful! :) Will there be an inner coaming?
Yes, there will be an inner coaming; probably in red oak to match the other trim work. I just picked up the mast collar this morning; it is part of the trim work made of red oak. All totaled, there will likely be four different woods with bright finish; sapele, southern yellow pine, and red oak on the deck, plus the okume transom.

Can't wait to get back to work, may even take some afternoons off this week (schedule permitting).

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:14 pm
by cape man
I appreciate the work it took for those strips. Your work is fantastic, and it will certainly set the boat off. I can't paint worth a crap, but gluing strips is something I enjoy.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Well, I've got the central piece of the foredeck epoxied in. Plus, I've fitted a few additional pieces. Then I ran into a sticky spot. Actually there is a minor delay before I get to the problem. First I've got to glue the t-nuts into the bottom of the breasthook; I won't be able to reach them once the deck is on.

As for the sticky spot... I've posted it under the resins, fiberglass section, but I'll record it here too for those referencing the thread later. Epoxy is a gap filling glue, and works best when there is a gap to fill. My deck pieces are tight fitting (no gap). Should I use epoxy for these pieces, or wood glue? :help:

For reference, I used epoxy on the outer strip along the rail. The rest all use wood glue. They will get fiberglass on the bottom side when the boat is upside-down again. I've also epoxied the center piece of the foredeck in place. The others are just set into place for the picture.

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 pm
by ks8
I answered on the other post, but I'll add here... if those strips are a tight fit now, even if you epoxied with straight epoxy and no filler, you may need to slim the final strip as the epoxy will take up some *space* in each bond, unless you borrow Cape man's hatch (?) :help: :P

She will look good when all planed and sanded down! :)

I abandoned the bright work deck I had planned, but I'm glad others have followed through. It was getting too busy on my boat with the other trim, but these recent builds... they all look great. :D I'll just have to start thinking of the next boat. :lol:

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:44 pm
by cape man
I'll just have to start thinking of the next boat.
KS, I think I speak for all of us...NOT ANOTHER 7 YEARS!!!! Please, just keep building this one forever. It's fun to watch! :lol: :lol:

Biker, the deck is gorgeous. What kind of wood are you using?

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:33 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
cape man wrote:...NOT ANOTHER 7 YEARS!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's cut him a little slack. As much practice as he has, he should be able to complete the next boat in five years.

cape man wrote:What kind of wood are you using?
The darker wood is Sapele, and the lighter wood is good old Southern Yellow Pine.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:45 pm
by cape man
Let's cut him a little slack.
Now why would we do that... :lol: :lol:

Not familiar with Sapele but it sure is purdy. Where's it from and what are its properties? Hard, tropical?

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:17 am
by TomW
Craig Sapele is from Africa, similar to Mahogany with a tighter grain works fairly similar except it has a funny grain that makes planing it hard to do. As I recall it is as hard and dense as teak. Normally used for fine furniture.

Tom

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
cape man wrote:Not familiar with Sapele but it sure is purdy. Where's it from and what are its properties? Hard, tropical?
Craig, I'll let Tom's answer stand as is. I got it from a hardwood dealer in NC. He has all kinds of exotic wood. I chose it becuase I liked how it looks. It is pretty dense. I can attest to how tough it is to plane. I think I'll be sanding to fair without much planing.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
For posterity's sake, on the glue vs. epoxy topic, and after five pages of discussion in the other thread, I'm going to epoxy the foredeck in place. I'll fit all the pieces, glue them with unthickened epoxy, and then reinforce them with some fiberglass.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 pm
by gk108
Are you sure? :D

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:01 am
by cape man
Are you sure?
You're just mean! Biker go for it! It will be (is) perfect and gorgeous! Love that Sapele wood. May try and get some from our local hardwood dealer just to play with it on another project (need to build a friend a drafting table). Has a walnut color but a mahogany grain from the pics.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 am
by gk108
You're just mean!
It's the BBV talking. For some reason, I have this desire to make a laminated gunwale, but I don't know what to put it on. :help:

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:32 am
by cape man
Sounds like somebody needs to start a new boat...

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
gk108 wrote:Are you sure? :D
Most certainly, Gary. Now that I've fit all the pieces, there are gaps below. So, thickend epoxy will be needed along with unthickened epoxy.

As I was uplaoding the picture below I saw what looks like cape man's foredeck. Looks good, but a different pattern. Here is a picture of my foredeck with the pieces set in place (no epoxy yet). I've got to set some t-nuts in place before I can glue these in. I've also set the mast collar in place. It's actually offset to look better in the picture, but it will be partially recessed into the deck. The foredeck will also be cut to length after gluing.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm
by peter-curacao
Now that is really very beautiful your really making a showpiece there B.O.B. very cool 8)

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 pm
by gk108
That's going to look GOOD!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 pm
by TomW
That is really looking great Shaun. The Sapele is really going to pop! You can almost see the funky grain in it there.

Tom

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm
by cape man
Gorgeous!

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:31 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for the compliments. But it is by God's grace that the boat is turning out so well. Other than the occasional rough carpentry project, I have no woodworking experience.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 pm
by peter-curacao
Biker B.O.B. wrote:Other than the occasional rough carpentry project, I have no woodworking experience.
It sure doesn't show!

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 pm
by Lower
Been watching your build from the sidelines as well, but wanted to take a minute to compliment your work. Love the deck! I'm a sucker for brightwork on these boats!

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:44 am
by wegcagle
She looks incredible B.O.B. I'm sure Papa Jim is grinning from ear to ear right now :D

Will

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Work and life got real busy there for a while; checked my build log and saw that it had been a full month. :( But I finally got a day for the boat and actually got the deck glued down. I've even sanded the deck and cut it to length. Next up will be the coaming. Then I can flip it upside down; hopefully for the last time.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:54 am
by cape man
Pictures!

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:33 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
cape man wrote:Pictures!
I'll try to get some up tomorrow. But it actually looks a lot like the last picture, except all the ends are even. That picture was with all the parts fitted but not glued. I've since glued them down and sanded them flush. If I can finish the sanding and get a coat of epoxy on it (to let the colors show better), then pictures will be worth something.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm
by cape man
No problem. Just digging your project.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
OK, I got out tonight a did a little more sanding, and then applied a coat of epoxy. It's not what I expected... it's better. :D

So that you can enjoy it too, here are some pics.

And a close-up of the detail where the wood changes direction towards the gunwhale.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 pm
by Cracker Larry
8O 8O 8) OK, there goes that bar up again.....

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:37 pm
by ks8
The bar has too be registered with the FAA and NASA soon! :lol:

Beautiful! :D

Me like heap'um big time...

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:50 pm
by TomW
Shaun that is geourgous! :!: It turned out better than I thought it would also. The epoxy really brought out the grains of the different woods. Be Proud Man :!: There are some that would kill to be able to do that.

Now use no less than this on it: http://www.boatersland.com/intyva853.html to protect the epoxy and the wood. It's worth every penny of it's price. It is only marginally more expensive that what I use on kitchen cabinets I build and install.

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:17 am
by wegcagle
What an incredible job Shawn. 8) That thing is going to be AMAZING.

Will

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 am
by chrisobee
Its going to be a beautiful boat.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:42 am
by gk108
Excellent looking deck! 8)

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:50 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks guys. Those compliments mean a lot, especially from those whose boats I've admired.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:50 am
by cape man
Worth every bit of the effort! Awesome job!

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:46 pm
by chicagoross
I hadn't checked this thread in a while, but: WOW! Beautiful work, Shaun!

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:00 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Well, after a month of fiddling with it, I finally got the old Beemer running (I may have BBV, but my motorcycle addiction is worse). And work slowed down enough to allow me to take an afternoon off, so I worked on the boat. The mast collar and cockpit coaming are now in place. Tomorrow morning I've got a few friends coming over to flip it.

Check this out... steamless bending really works. These boards are 3/8" thick solid red oak, 2 3/4" wide and ~9' long. They are the coaming pieces that run the length of the cockpit.

And because I know you want to see them, a couple of pictures of the coaming and mast collar. The coaming sticks up 1" above the deck.

This is not the finished product. I plan to put a "V" shaped "splash guard" (for lack of better naming), ahead of the mast collar running back to just ahead of the corner of the coaming. Kind of like the lines I've added to this picture. These will also be made of red oak and be slightly tapered.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:29 pm
by TomW
Nice Shaun :D

Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:52 pm
by ks8
Beautiful... :) 8)

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:15 pm
by cape man
That looks nice...

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:34 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for all the compliments. The funny thing is that I had no interest in woodworking until I decided to build a boat. Now I've got another half-dozed builds planned. Just not sure which will be next.

Anyway, I called a couple of friends over and we flipped the boat again. Hopefully it is upside down for the last time before splashing. Still a lot of work to do; reinforce the deck from the bottom, finish fairing the inside, paint the verticals on the inside, final prep and paint the outside.

It's not an exciting pic, but it means I'm getting closer.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:36 am
by cape man
It's not the picture sometimes but what it represents in the process....getting close man!

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:11 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Somehow this milemarker spurred me on. I got in another 2 1/2 hours between AM Worship Service and PM Service today. In that time I filled and 'glassed the underside of the side rails. Had I known I had an extra 1/2 hour, I would have preped the underside of the deck for its 'glass too and finished that part.

Not too long and I'll be fairing and sanding :D , and sanding :( , and sanding some more :roll: . The fun part will be the areas that I can't get the RO into. Oh well, I'm already past my goal for a launch date.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:44 pm
by chrisobee
Biker B.O.B. wrote:Not too long and I'll be fairing and sanding :D , and sanding :( , and sanding some more :roll: . The fun part will be the areas that I can't get the RO into. Oh well, I'm already past my goal for a launch date.

I'm right there with you brother. Its the hardest part of the build.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:17 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Still sanding. :| But I'm getting other things done while I'm waiting for quikfair to cure.

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Lord willing, I'll be slinging paint Friday. I've gotten all the vertical and inverted surfaces inside faired, primed, and sanded. It's been interesting rolling around under the upside-down boat; but is sure is easier to work this way. And no sweat dops falling onto my nicely preped surfaces; :P .

The pictures are right side up; it's the boat that's upside-down.

In this pic, you are looking at the forward frame. Since the foredeck extends just aft of this frame, I've turned it into a locker. The inside has already been painted Bainbridge White (which looks grey to me). Everything in the cockpit is primer grey.

Here is a shot of the aft seat and port side. You can also see the side rail support brackets. Boy were they fun to fair :roll: . Not only did I tape the supports to the hull, I also 'glassed the coaming and rail to the hull. Not all of that is perfect, only the hull portion. You won't be able to see the "workboat" portion unless you lay down in the boat.

The most fun part was the little section above (below?) the aft seat. You can see this to the right of the picture immediately above. There is about four inches between the seat and coaming; enough to get you hands in there, but still not a lot of room to work.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:15 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Well, I just spent five hours painting. There are five coats of Orcas White, and five coats of San Juan Tan. Now, that tan looks sick in the pics; it's actually lighter. But the flash made it look grey.

First, the two interior pics from the same points as the previous post.

And the exterior shot. When I had to start leaving rolled paint un-tipped in order to find my wet edge, I knew I was about done. And, the rubrail will be sanded back down and bright finished.

:help: :help:
Ok, I'd also like to get some opinions. I've got some blue left over from my first build and was thinking about adding a stripe. As I see it, there are three options for the location of this stripe... along the chine (with about an inch of white separating the graphite and stripe), just under the rub rail ( also about an inch of white between the rail and stripe), and finally, no stripe. :doh: :doh:

I'm also thinking about making the stripe 1.5" wide, and stoping just short of the stem and transom.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:42 pm
by steve292
Along the chine gets my vote.
Nice fairing job, the paint looks fab 8)
steve

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:35 pm
by TomW
A second for along the chine. 8)

Tom

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:18 pm
by wegcagle
Looks good. I agree, put it along the chine

Will

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:42 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
OK; along the chine it is. My wife even liked that idea.

Thanks for your input.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Well, I faced a little set-back today; and possibly an opportunity. While sanding the white in preparation for the boot strip and clear gloss, I sanded through in a few places. I was only using 400 grit sand paper, didn't sand off the brush marks completely, and had sanded the primer before application of the LPU. :x

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 pm
by gk108
How many coats did you put on before sanding?

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:17 am
by Biker B.O.B.
gk108 wrote:How many coats did you put on before sanding?
Five. And the instructions suggested four if you were sanding.

I think I'm going to scrap the boot stripe and just paint the white and clear. My thoughts that lead to the stripe were to help it look sleeker on the water by breaking up the expanse of white. It's only 20" tall at the stem, and 10" at the transom. I could always add a vinyl stripe later if it's still bugging me.

Oooh! Speaking (writing?) of vinyl, I've got to locate somewhere to get the name printed for the transom.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:53 am
by gk108
Biker B.O.B. wrote:Oooh! Speaking (writing?) of vinyl, I've got to locate somewhere to get the name printed for the transom.
That's me, too. The boss and I have been discussing the O'Day rebuild and I think we're going to name the boat "Remote Chance" and get some lettering for the website name along with it. It'll be a while before I'm ready for that, but we must have a plan, you know. :lol:

I went with 5 coats on the V10, but sanding that made me nervous. There were a few places where I used a very light touch while sanding. :wink:

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:19 am
by TomW
Shaun, GK, this is a good site for both names and your State numbers. As I recall Larry got his here. I've had it booked mark for a while. http://www.boatletteringtoyou.com/lettering/

Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 am
by Larry B
I've used this guy for all my numbers, I've ordered at least 5 sets and they are always shipped VERY FAST, and great quality and the price is right. I've havn't found a less price anywhere???? 10 bucks includes shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/2color-Hull-Boat-Re ... 518c96bb28

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:55 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I'm thinking of going with white, script lettering on the transom.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:18 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Last update for the year.

First off, I got the "splash rail" installed (that's what I'll call it since I don't know the proper name). Doubt it will provide much protection, but it certainly looks good.

There is also the false knees, which also add style.

And I at least got the false breasthook glued on. Finishing will come later.

Merry Christmas everyone! :D

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:05 pm
by ks8
Nice! :)

And a very Merry Christmas. :D

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:43 pm
by cape man
As before...beautiful!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
:x I just bumped the wrong button and lost everything I typed. :x

So, now to reconstruct my message....

I know it's been a while since I last checked in. First, I hurt my lower back. One can't lean over a boat when one's lower back is hurting. Then I had to wait for warm weather in order to paint the seats and floors. Now that they have paint, I need cooler weather in order to apply the Kiwi Grip. :roll: Oh well, it seem that winter is not over and we are again having cooler temps. :D

Next will be to finish the brightwork; epoxy and clear gloss paint. After that, some hardware and I can splash! She won't be sailing until I complete the spars, daggerboard and rudder. Hopefully those won't take too long. I'm almost done with the daggerboard. The rudder is shaped but it needs a tiller and paint. Haven't started on the spars.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 am
by cape man
Was wondering what happened to you. Sucks on the back. Hope it heals up.

Pictures!!! We need Pictures!!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:04 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
cape man wrote:Was wondering what happened to you. Sucks on the back. Hope it heals up.

Pictures!!! We need Pictures!!!!
Nothing that would really show up in pictures. But, I'm planning to apply the KiwiGrip Thursday. If that works out, then I'll have pics. :D

The back is getting better. Not sure what is wrong; maybe a pulled tendon. Chiropractor says everything is in line. Family doctor says I'm getting old and fat. I doubt that was the problem with my back, I'm not that big; but he's right about being overweight. My wife challenged me to try WeightWatcher for Men online. Since the other things I've tried didn't work, I decided to give it a try. I've lost 18 pounds in three weeks. I guess I wasn't as good a picking the proper foods as I thought I was.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 am
by Biker B.O.B.
OK. This update comes with pics.

Getting real close to a splash. The KiwiGrip is down in the cockpits and oarlock pads are shaped and installed. One final coat of epoxy on the brightwork, some clear gloss paint and some hardware and it'll be splash time.

Here's the KiwiGrip in the main cockpit. The cream color goes great with the San Juan Tan interior.

Here is the KiwiGrip in the front cockpit.

And the oarlock pads. The oarlock sockets are top mount bronze.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:27 pm
by ks8
Set a date yet? :D

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 pm
by cape man
I've got wood.

Your work is impressive! That will turn heads.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 am
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8 wrote:Set a date yet? :D
You should know better. :)

I learned not to set dates when boat building. I had, at one time, hoped to have this boat on the water late last summer.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:01 am
by Biker B.O.B.
cape man wrote:I've got wood.

Your work is impressive! That will turn heads.
Thanks.

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:56 am
by Lower
Beautiful. Boat looks great. Kiwigrip came out nice!

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm
by gk108
That looks great! 8)

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for the compliments.

I think I finally got the last coat of paint on the hull. :D That would be the clear gloss over the brightwork. Once I get the hardware on I can take it to the lake, thus making room in the garage to build the sailing appendages. The official launch won't be until its equipped for sailing, but I can splash it and row it around. All that's left on the hull is the installation of hardware; cleats, gudgeons, oarlock sockets and a pulley. I've also got to figure out how to load it onto a 6x10 utility trailer and adequately coushion it for an hour-and-a-half trip over the slab. Oh well, it looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I can make the trip, so I have time to think about it.

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow after church.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Here are the pics as promised. Just a bunch of pics showing everything about the completed hull; even the piece of blue masking tape I forgot to remove before taking pics.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:24 pm
by Cracker Larry
That is beautiful Shaun 8) Fine job! What did you say #3 was going to be?

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:57 pm
by steve292
Magnificent 8) I love the brightwork
Steve

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:21 pm
by wegcagle
Beautiful. That is truly a piece of art. The only problem is that I think you made it too pretty for the water 8)

Will

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:46 pm
by Dog Fish
Very Very nice :!:

Brian :)

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:50 pm
by cape man
Now that is something to be proud of!!! Absolutely beautiful. Beautiful.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:31 pm
by TomW
Super job Shaun. That is some beautiful craftsmanship! :D

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for all the compliments, all of you; but I've got to give credit to God. You see, this is only my second boat, and I'm not a finish carpenter (not even a rough carpenter for that matter). Other than nailing together two 2x4s and a couple of wooden model boats, the last woodworking I did was in 8th grade shop. I do my best, and the rest is up to Him.

I haven't figured out how to post multiple quotes, so I'll just address your questions one at a time here.

Larry, I haven't actually stated what boat #3 will be. I'm strongly considering a different method. Top contenders are a strip built canoe or a skin-on-frame canoe. They could also be boats #3 and #4. However, if my wife enjoys sailing, I may be building a daysailer to keep here at the house. Just a reminder, this is a tribute to my wife's Papa Jim. It will be kept at the lakehouse where her grandmother lives, and her father and uncle both own property.

Will, thank you. But too pretty? It'll look even better on the water and under sail.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 am
by gk108
I'll bet it sails just as good as it looks. 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:51 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
gk108 wrote:I'll bet it sails just as good as it looks. 8)
Thanks. And thanks for inspiring me to higher standards of finish.

It will be a couple of months before we find out about the sailing aspects. I've got to get it out of the garage in order to have room to build the mast, booms, rudder, and daggerboard.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:09 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
An update on boat #3 (next build).

First, a day kayaking in our plastic kayaks has me rethinking the whole canoe/kayak idea. But I have a real strong urge to build a strip built boat. I was just poking around the site and found the new McInnis Round Chine plans. This is new since the last time I looked at plans, and has what I'm looking for in a new boat; a flat bottom for beaching and the use of strip planking.

Not long after starting Jimzee, I got the idea to also build a row boat for the lake (where Jimzee will be kept). This way some folks can sail and others fish, from two different boats of course. It didn't take long for my twisted mind to make a connection... You see, Papa Jim's widow is Grandma Rose; and he often called her Rosie. So, the row boat (in my mind) should be named Row-zee (or Row-sie, maybe even "Rosie" the row boat). Thus also keeping Papa Jim and Grandma Rose around on the lake for many years to come.

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:06 am
by TomW
Sounds good to me Shaun. A perfect match. :D

Tom

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
With the hull complete it's now time to work on some "appendages." First up are oars and the mast; and the mast comes with questions. Basically I'm limited in my selection of wood species that I can get knot free. No spruce, but I've got enough clear Western Red Cedar for the two outer layers. I can get Aspen, Poplar and Pine for the inner layer if the WRC would work; or knotty spruce.

I've started a thread in the Small Boats section asking for advice. You can find that thread here: http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23586

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:53 pm
by ks8
Just say the pictures... beauty! :D

Whadya think? Sitka Spruce for the spars? Bright finished also of course. She'll look fine rigged for sail. :)

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:37 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8 wrote:Just say the pictures... beauty! :D

Whadya think? Sitka Spruce for the spars? Bright finished also of course. She'll look fine rigged for sail. :)
Of course it will be bright finished. Now, if I can get my hands on some knot free (or relatively knot free) spruce. Nobody has spoken against the cedar, but it is being ignored. I'll use it for strips on my next boat.

Launched!

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:51 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
On Memorial Day weekend we launched "Jimzee." I thought that was quite fitting, as it was built in memory of a WWII veteran. The launch went beautifully. Even tested it in a strong wind as a storm was blowing in. It rows with ease, and sails well. Best of all, my wife loves sailing. :D Now, once I get around to building a boat to keep, I'll build us a day sailer.

Oh, that reminds me. An update on my next build. I think I'll still go with the MI12S, but now it will be to raise some funds for my sister-in-law. She needs a kidney transplant, and has been hospitalized for strokes/seizures. I'm thinking I'll raffle off the MI12S to help with their medical expenses.

Enough talk already, right? You want to see pics. Well here you go.

We'll start with the name.

First time in the water. Too little wind to sail, so i went out rowing. No exercise here; it rows with little effort.

What I thought was a really pretty shot.

Oh yeah, I built the oars too.

Rigged for sailing.

And, sailing. :D

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm
by wegcagle
BEAUTIFUL :D I'm sure Jimzee is grinning ear to ear looking down on you. Congrats. 8)

Will

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 pm
by gstanfield
Very nice boat and a proper tribute for sure.

George

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:05 pm
by Cracker Larry
What a great job Shaun 8) She's beautiful.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:12 pm
by steve292
That's fantastic.... 8)
Steve

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:49 pm
by ks8
Beautiful... she's alive! :D

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:16 pm
by cape man
You're right. This is a beautiful shot. This one should definitely go in the study plans pictures. Just perfect.

Happy memorial day. One you all will remember through time.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:22 pm
by ks8
Bateau Calendar contestant entry. :)

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:39 pm
by gk108
Beautiful :!:
Every bit of the time you put in it was worth it. 8)

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for all the compliments. It's enough to embarass a guy. If God didn't give me the desire to do a good job, or the patience to go back and redo something when it wasn't right, then Jimzee would not look this good.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 pm
by alexbalex
The boat looks fantastic - congratulations and many happy ours sailing it! :D

Just curious - what is the sail area of your rig?

Thanks,

Alex

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
ks8 wrote:Bateau Calendar contestant entry. :)
Shortly after I took that shot, I got this one; it might make a better calendar photo.

Alex, I think it's either 70 or 77 sq. ft. Similar to the area called for in the plans. But I like this style better, and it was given to me by "swidm", another member on this site. I hope he gets to stop by and see his old sail in action once again.

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:57 pm
by bondo
Pretty as a picture.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I've had a little side step in my boat building plans. My sister-in-law needs a kidney transplant and I'm going to build a boat to raffle off and raise some money to help with her medical bills. I've choosen to build a strip-planked solo canoe for this purpose.

First, a little lead in... I've only built two boats, both from plans attained from this site. I've also documented both builds right here. This is the only boat building community I've been involved with. So...

The question... Would it be rude to document the build on this website when I'm not using plans from one of the designers associated with this website? I will be using materials purchased from Joel.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm
by wegcagle
Not when it's someone we know and love around here :D Another builder built a dory style boat from a different designer, and then came here for advice (Mac). He documented the rebuild here, and was very welcomed. Besides you are using materials from here, and I assume you would be seeking advice from people here.
I think it would be a great idea, and a wonderful gesture for your sister-in-law. I'm sure it's gonna be amazing.

Will

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm
by gstanfield
I personally don't see it as any different that the threads documenting rebuilds of other brand boats or of Eric's beautiful Clippercraft build or Mac's Dory or the drift boat I'm starting right now... opps :oops: Kinda let the cat outta the bag there :wink:

Please document your build and we'd love to ooogle at the pics and maybe even help (as if you need it) :D

George

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks guys. I kind of figured it would be OK, but just wanted to get a feel for how folks felt about it.

I must also say that your confidence in my ability is uplifting. Pretty soon I hope to be ripping my first strips. Specs call for 1/8" x 3/4", but we'll see. I have just completed a scarfing table and a mobile workbench. I really should build the strongback and forms next.

Keep your eyes open for the new thread. Not sure what I'll call it yet. :doh: But I'll probably put a link into my sig line.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 pm
by cape man
Having built a cedar strip canoe myself would love to see your build and will give you any advice I can. Great project and what a great cause. Who's design are you using? I used this book by Gil Gilpatrick, and found it amazingly helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Strip-Ca ... 0899333494

It has several different designs including all the dimensions for the stations. I built his 16' Laker and it is a fantastic river canoe and camping machine. My strips were 1" x 1/4". The 3/4" will look nicer (more strips), but the 1/8" is kinda thin. You will be using a suraform and lots of sanding to get it fair before glassing and I would be afraid of going though the wood if all I had was 1/8". Are there any ribs in your design?

Except for the wood, Joel has almost everything you will need.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'd love to see it and I'll buy some raffle tickets too 8) Put some up on here for sale. Best of luck to your SIL. That's rough.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 pm
by gstanfield
Certainly put some tickets up for sale here. Actually, set up a paypal account for the cause and I'll donate some to it as I'm sure others will. :D

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:39 pm
by cape man
I actually am excited to see how beautiful a strip canoe you will build after the work you did on the boat deck. One thing to consider is to add some highlight strips of lighter or darker wood, similar to what you did on the deck. I assume it is essentially a composite design, especially if they are calling for 1/8" strips, so the strength is really in the glass and epoxy. My friend used my southern red cedar (actually a juniper, also known as aeromatic cedar) for the main stripping on his Kayak, but threw in some accent strips of southern yellow pine that really set the whole thing off. A nice piece of ash (doesn't that sound nice...) on the gunwale is also a beautiful touch.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:58 pm
by wegcagle
Count me in for a few tickets as well!!!

Will

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:46 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Thanks for all the support. As soon as I get started I'll start a thread; still not sure what I'll call it, but will reference it here.

Sorry it's taken a little while to respond, but I've just gotten back from a mission trip to Miami, FL. Myself and nine other member from our church went down there to help out a church that has a school do some much needed remodeling. There are some nice folks down there are New Life Baptist Church in Carol City, FL.

Now let's see if I can answer some of the questions. I haven't committed to a design just yet, and was a little leary about stating another designers name, but since they work in two different formats I guess it would be OK. I have a book by Nick Schade called "Building Strip-Planked Boats." In it are plans for the "Nymph," but I'm a little intimidated by the reverse tumblehome. I also really like the looks of the Otter by Newfound Woodworks. And since I'm not affraid to make minor modifications above the waterline, I'm considering using Nick Schade's plans but changing the reverse tumblehome (concave) to a regular tumblehome (convex). Mr. Schade calls for the 1/8" thick strips, but (once again) since it's my first strip-plank build, I'm thinking about cutting the strips 3/16" for a little bit of room for error. It is a composite design, glassed both inside and out; but Mr. Schade calls for S-glass instead of E-glass. I'll need to find out what Joel sells, but I'll bet it's the S-glass.

I've got some friends who have offered to put together a website for selling the tickets. Once they get that up and running, I'll get you the information. As my friend said, "You build the boat, we'll get it raffled off."

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
OK. I've gotten started on the canoe that I'm going to raffle off to raise some money for my sister-in-law's kidney transplant. I've titled the thread "Canoe for a Cause" and you can find it here in the small boat builder's forum.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24518

If I did that link correctly, you can go straight to it.

Thanks for all the support I've received from this group.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I got to sail Jimzee again today. Light winds, but still sailing. It has a bit of lee helm, probably because I changed the centerboard to a daggerboard and changed the sail plan. However, the sail is constructed such that I could re-rig as a gaff rig instead of the current standing lug rig. I'm thinking that this would move the center of effort aft a little and maybe balance it out some.

What are your thoughts? :help:

This is making me a little leary of making sail plan changes in future builds. At least not without some learning and much more thought before doing so.

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
Jimzee 1.1

After four years in the Florida sun, a torn polytarp sail, inadequate maintenance/storage and inexperienced changes to the original plan it is time to bring this boat back into the workshop for repairs. Top on my list are stabilizing and restoring the brightwork deck followed by a new sail and spars .

I never laid any fiberglass on the original deck and may not have sealed below it as well as I should have. As you can see from the pictures the strips started to separate causing the epoxy to crack and delaminate. When I sanded and re-applied the varnish it resulted in darker areas where there is no epoxy, just varnish on the wood. I am hoping that a layer of 4 oz. 'glass above and below will help in this respect.

When I originally built Jimzee I did not have any place to construct the 21 foot mast required in the plan. Thinking it would not be that big of a deal to change the sail plan I acquired a used polytarp lug rig sail from another board member and changed the centerboard to a dagger board. That did not work out too well for me. At this juncture I do not wish to get into changing the dagger board to the designed centerboard but I will go with a sail that is much closer to the original sail plan.

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am
by jacquesmm
Hang out at the local marinas, talk to people and you will find an cheap mast of the proper size.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:43 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
jacquesmm wrote:Hang out at the local marinas, talk to people and you will find an cheap mast of the proper size.
Thanks, Jacq. I had not thought about that.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 pm
by Biker B.O.B.
I have been doing a lot of prep work getting ready for fresh paint and varnish. Here are a few shots of the new paint on the sides and bottom. I think I like the solid white better than the black graphite bottom. The graphite is still there, I sanded it to get rid of some of the weathered epoxy and to give the paint something to hold onto.

I will sand the white off of the rub rail when I apply the varnish to the deck and rub rail.

I also removed the skeg in the hopes of moving the CLR forward a little and to make it a little more responsive. The CLR needs to move forward because I accidentally moved it back when I changed the centerboard into a daggerboard. It is probably not much of a change but maybe it will help.