Completed FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

KRE.

Like Cape Man I really like the hatches. Could you provide more info on how you constructed them and what hardware you used. I looked at all the pictures of your build and understand the basic concept but am interested in how you made them water tight.

Thanks, don

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

remedy32 wrote:
I think it might be REALLY helpful to all of us if we could gather more information as boats are completed as to actual weight, fore-aft balance point, observed performance etc. This would be especially helpful for designs where it looks like a large number of boats will actually be finished rather than just plans sold.
That information exist and is well known. Designers know where to put the LCG and what performance to expect.
For starters, there is the "Small Boat" papers published on a CD by the SNAME.
That data is used to design our boats just as I used to design fiberglass boats that were produced by the thousand.
I don't want our builders to think that our boats are based on guesswork.

I am still interested in the behavior and performance of all boats that our builder's launch especially when they go a little bit outside of the design parameters, in this case, with a larger engine than specified.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Prevailing swell in the south runs through shallower water askew of land, and doesn't have as much fetch. Coastal waters here have a swell thats parallel to land, beginning in very deep water, and a fetch that begins speaking japanese before it learns to speak english. 20+ foot swells on the coast aren't uncommon here.

E

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Well, I guess it's maybe marginally more fetch than from Africa to Florida . And maybe it's a little deeper than the Atlantic's average depth of 12,900 feet, or it's deepest at 28,200 feet, but a 20' swell is not particularly uncommon here either :doh:

KRE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KRE »

Donk,

The hatches are not watertight, but they do all have drains. The three large wells aft have drains to a throughhull on the starbord side. Stb well is a circulating live well, Mid is an insulated cooler, port is a fish box. The aft two hatches are really just service holds that drain to the bildge. The anchor locker and the console(s) drain to the bildge.

I got the hardware from a discount parts house on the internet. The address escapes my right now. I'll retrieve it and post latter. The latches were like 12 bucks and hinge sets 3 bucks a set. Great prices.

I may have to play the Gilligan Island theme song during this weekends see trials. She's blowing like the dickens!

KRE
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by KRE »

Oops, forgot the last part. All of the lumber is Cypress except the Okume ply.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

You have me there Larry.

I thought you guys had typically W to E winds with the global pattern. If you get dedicated easterlies, you are 100% right.

E

blindmullet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by blindmullet »

remedy32 wrote:KRE,

I was just about to ask if you had weighted the boat when I saw the most recent posts. I'm guessing that 780 lb. is a bit more than half the weight of a restored 1970's Aquasport 170. Can't imagine what they weigh all waterlogged sitting behind someones house before being fixed up. I'm guessing that the FS17's performance should be very good at this weight.

Thanks and good luck,

Bill in CT
I would think the Aquasport would be around 1K#'s - My '77 Mako is around 1200#'s.

NICE boat - great work!

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

KRE, I would like to see details on your hatch drains. The hardware and detailing on the stern hatches looks better than on a production boat :wink:

E don't underestimate the swells in the Gulf of Mexico. When the wind is puffing hard the seas here can be life-threatening 8O

Richard

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your hardware looks just like the stuff I bought (which is very encouraging to me :D , cause it looks GREAT), and I think you got it here
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/dring.html

Nice stuff, and good prices.