Building the HB20 "Fog Bender"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
zignman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zignman »

By the way, I'm building the boat in front of my studio and the road to Bodega Bay is in the front of my studio. I can't tell you how many people stop and talk about the boat they have been watching become real, Boat builders really do make others dreams come true. I have people I never knew stop and give me boat stuff that they have saved for years. Last week a fellow gave me an antique electric bronseanchor winch, another fellow brought me 8 hinges that I priced at west marine at$48.00 each. They were brand new but he had them 15 years. Lots of stories like this so keep building and making others dreams come true. A greatful boat builder, Zignman

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Nice boat 8) ...you're right about people watching & wanting to talk. I work in the garage with the door up,weather permitting & a lot of the old boy's in the village will come up the drive to pass the time of day,which is nice. One guy has given me 6, 6' long 3/4x3" mohagany planks, ripped from fireplace lintels,that he replaced 20 years ago,beautiful wood that you won't get now.
Regards,
Steve

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Building the HB20 "Fog Bender"

Post by michaelwpayton »

Zignman... did I miss your splash, are there pics out here somewhere, or are you still working on it?
"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

he's keeping that boat in front of his studio to keep collecting boating stuff from passersby, why launch when the goodies keep coming in :D :D :D
Daddy

zignman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zignman »

He he he... someone just left some beautiful lights out of a 60s van. I built oval boxes for them and they will be great. I keep putting off the splash down cause its so easy to work on it here at the shop. Seems it always needs another sculpture or something. Also waiting for the hydrolic steering hose and the motor controls to be made. Have been sailing my Weekender alot so I get on the water quite abit.I think spring is now looking more like splash down. Zignman

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

Zignman... I'm curious what motor you will be using, how it is mounted, what speed you are expecting, etc.

I have a friend asking about the HB20. I think he posted some questions in the "before purchasing plans" area, but they haven't shown up yet. His concern is that the study plans indicate you need to purchase a bracket, rather than build one, if you want to do more than displacement speed... and he thinks the bracket required will be very expensive.

Comments from you... I'm sure will be helpful to him :-)

-Mike

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Mike, I read those posts, I built my own bracket, rugged as heck, have a 25 hp honda on it, two years now, not a hint of movement. I believe that I could lift the boat right off the trailer with that bracket, go back about 3 or 5 pages in my blog and see how I built it. :D Another option might be to go to a metal shop and have them fabricate on probably for a whole lot less.
Daddy

michaelwpayton
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by michaelwpayton »

Thanks Dad... but I can't find a discussion of your bracket :-( Please post a link when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Mike

gk108

Post by gk108 »

CC, D15, V10

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Thanks gk, Mike, the link to my whole blog is at the bottom of this posting.
Daddy