Page 1 of 1

Building the HB20 "Fog Bender"

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:55 pm
by zignman
Zigman is happy to add photos of the HB20 "Fog Bender". We're looking at April or May to splash. :D

Edit: Gallery Link

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:12 pm
by topwater
Boat looks great , nice work :!:

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm
by ericsil
Nice work Signman. I would not have realized you can get that much comfort in 20' boat until I saw your pictures.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:13 pm
by ks8
His gallery is here...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=634

Nice. What sort of paint is in the interior? :)

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:13 pm
by zignman
The interior is Pettit off white which is just a little on the warm side. It goes well with the red mahogany stain as well as the burgandy exterior.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 pm
by ks8
Looks good! Looking forward to more pictures in April or May. :)

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:16 pm
by Cracker Larry
That is beautiful :!: You're really doing a nice job 8) Fabulous actually 8O Sweet!

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:25 pm
by deedee
really nice work!!! where could i put one of those... thats gonna be alot of fun to cruise around and explore in.really nice boat!!

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:53 pm
by ks8
What sort of genset have you got planned, or will you be getting 120vac from shorepower, or both?

Of what material did you cast the seashell draw pulls? Nice touch. :)

Will you be setting up a small painting studio on the boat?

Oh, I'm full of questions today! :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:24 pm
by zignman
Ask away, its always fun to talk boats! Not looking for a genset, 12v seems to have all the versatility I need, plus some great lanterns for that soft warm glow that can't be duplicated. Of course it will have shorepower , the refer is 120v ac and propane for lots of ice etc.
Hi-density foam carved the shell and silicone mold, casting epoxy is the final product and then silver leaf for that "art deco" look I going after. The mermaid is also done that way. The Buick portholes are okume and epoxy with silver leaf.
Yes a studio is part of the deal, as the wildlife is fabulous here and all over the San Francisco bay and delta. 1000 miles of water inside the Golden Gate.
Glad you all approve. Zignman

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:34 pm
by zignman
By the way, I'm building the boat in front of my studio and the road to Bodega Bay is in the front of my studio. I can't tell you how many people stop and talk about the boat they have been watching become real, Boat builders really do make others dreams come true. I have people I never knew stop and give me boat stuff that they have saved for years. Last week a fellow gave me an antique electric bronseanchor winch, another fellow brought me 8 hinges that I priced at west marine at$48.00 each. They were brand new but he had them 15 years. Lots of stories like this so keep building and making others dreams come true. A greatful boat builder, Zignman

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:21 am
by steve292
Nice boat 8) ...you're right about people watching & wanting to talk. I work in the garage with the door up,weather permitting & a lot of the old boy's in the village will come up the drive to pass the time of day,which is nice. One guy has given me 6, 6' long 3/4x3" mohagany planks, ripped from fireplace lintels,that he replaced 20 years ago,beautiful wood that you won't get now.
Regards,
Steve

Re: Building the HB20 "Fog Bender"

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:46 pm
by michaelwpayton
Zignman... did I miss your splash, are there pics out here somewhere, or are you still working on it?

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 am
by Daddy
he's keeping that boat in front of his studio to keep collecting boating stuff from passersby, why launch when the goodies keep coming in :D :D :D
Daddy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm
by zignman
He he he... someone just left some beautiful lights out of a 60s van. I built oval boxes for them and they will be great. I keep putting off the splash down cause its so easy to work on it here at the shop. Seems it always needs another sculpture or something. Also waiting for the hydrolic steering hose and the motor controls to be made. Have been sailing my Weekender alot so I get on the water quite abit.I think spring is now looking more like splash down. Zignman

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:22 pm
by michaelwpayton
Zignman... I'm curious what motor you will be using, how it is mounted, what speed you are expecting, etc.

I have a friend asking about the HB20. I think he posted some questions in the "before purchasing plans" area, but they haven't shown up yet. His concern is that the study plans indicate you need to purchase a bracket, rather than build one, if you want to do more than displacement speed... and he thinks the bracket required will be very expensive.

Comments from you... I'm sure will be helpful to him :-)

-Mike

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:16 pm
by Daddy
Mike, I read those posts, I built my own bracket, rugged as heck, have a 25 hp honda on it, two years now, not a hint of movement. I believe that I could lift the boat right off the trailer with that bracket, go back about 3 or 5 pages in my blog and see how I built it. :D Another option might be to go to a metal shop and have them fabricate on probably for a whole lot less.
Daddy

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:33 pm
by michaelwpayton
Thanks Dad... but I can't find a discussion of your bracket :-( Please post a link when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:53 pm
by gk108

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:04 pm
by Daddy
Thanks gk, Mike, the link to my whole blog is at the bottom of this posting.
Daddy

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 am
by michaelwpayton
Thanks guys.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm
by zignman
Hey guys, I built my own bracket and I know I could lift the boat with it! The plans show how to build a bracket but didn't allow for tilting the motor, but my motor is a bit larger than normal. 55hp Homelite 1968 Bearcat 4 cycle. My bracket was made of scrap plywood and fiberglass and is bolted on with 4 stainless carriage bolts. People just love this boat for the room inside and the fact that it isn't some everyday looking plastic crap. Zignman

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 pm
by michaelwpayton
How about a/some pics of that bracket :-)

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm
by Cracker Larry
Hey guys, I built my own bracket and I know I could lift the boat with it!
You'd better be able to lift 12 of your boats with it, thats what kind of stresses it has :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:04 pm
by TomW
The bracket design supplie with the HB20 is designed for small motors up to about 25HP. It should not be used for anything more. Over time a larger HP motor will provide enough forces to weaken it and eventually cause it to fail. I worked with Daddy on his bracket and got a very useable bracket for his boat. If you want to exceed displacement speed you need an aluminum bracket that will take the higher forces of a higher HP motor.

Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:50 pm
by michaelwpayton
Tom... saw pics of the one you and Daddy came up with... very nice.

Now... I'm interested in seeing what Zignman came up with for his 55HP, which I assume he will be using to run his HB20 beyond displacement speed.

-Mike

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 pm
by TomW
Mike I am also, as scrap plywood and fiberglass & epoxy doesn't sound safe to me over the long term for a 55HP motor. I have talked to Jacque about this subject and what it would take to make a safe platform. Basically fiberglass and carbonfiber biax in a vacunm bag would be required. Or as MadDog did an aluminum platform.

Tom

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:27 pm
by michaelwpayton
I'm asking because I have friend who thinks he may want to build the HB20... but only if he can go beyond displacement speed. When he checked into Armstrong brackets... as the study plans recommend... they were like $2,000-$2,500, which put it out of his price range.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:05 am
by TomW
Mike weren't you a welder at Newport News or am I thinking of someone else. You could easily build a platform based on the Armstrong designs. That is what MadDog did down in Texas with his brother doing the welding. You can see his platform in the Repair section

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:00 am
by michaelwpayton
Yeah Tom... whether they would like to admit it or not, Newport News Ship Building certified me to "stich together" the little boats they build "-) The welding part doesn't bother me, I'd be happy to do whatever in that regard... it's the design of the bracket, its shape, how it should be attached to the transome, etc... that I have no idea about.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:13 pm
by TomW
Mike, Armstrong doen't give much info, but this company D&D does. Aluminum type and thicknesses, including installation and measuring transom for proper fit. I think it will give you everything you need to weld one up yourself. They show a base size of 30" offset but says that can be adjusted, you only need 20 to 24" take it from the motor well size. I'm assuming you know the steps of acid etching and painting aluminum since you worked with it. :D

If you do one for a 19' boat design it for twin engines as I discussed in the other post 19' is pretty small to put a bracket on. 21' is okay but still marginal.

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm
by michaelwpayton
Thanks Tom... I'll check out D&D. If I build one, it will be for an HB20... not an HM19. My buddy, if/when he gets serious, thinks he wants to put a 50HP (247lb Yamaha I think) on an HB20 and go 25MPH. I don't know... unless the water is glass, my guess is it will not be a comfy ride :help:

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:40 pm
by TomW
Mike I'm sorry I forgot to leave the site it is here. http://www.dadmarine.com/pictures__info1.htm

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 pm
by michaelwpayton
Thanks Tom... I was looking for them :-)

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 pm
by mrusson
Zignman,
I have looked through your HB20 posts and images. I have to say I am impressed with your build! I sent you an email asking if there was a place you have your build photos posted in a bit larger resolution? I have bad eyes, and I have to blow images up really big to be able to see them. I was hoping that maybe i could find them bigger?
Also, for those who have purchased the plans, are they large prints that are easily read? Thank you for any information you may have.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:46 pm
by zignman
Congrats on your new build, I have really enjoyed building this boat. I will check out my pics for you. Send me your addy and I will forward them to you. Also don't be afraid to ask questions about how I went about my build. Zignman <warrenp@sonic.net>

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:50 am
by mrusson
Email sent today. THANK YOU for your help !!!!!