Page 1 of 1

SB18 in the Philippines

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 pm
by lncc63
I started a few months back but the rains did not really stop till now. I'm putting the frames together from strips plywood mostly 76mm wide, joined with 16oz biax strips on both sides. I've got most of the parts cutout and fitted. Last weekend, I got frames A and C assembled, frame B is on its way.

I'm sure someone's thought of this but I found that if I cover a fresh fiberglass patch with a sheet of plastic, I can use a rubber roller to squeeze out excess epoxy and get a nice smooth finish to a patch.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:02 pm
by chicagoross
I know why you're doing that, Incc, but sure is a hard way to make ply frames! Course I guess it's no big deal after making that hollow mast. :D

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 pm
by lncc63
I like pain ... the constructive kind :) is all Ross.

Got all the frames assembled though I still have to do some more endgrain sealing. The next step is to make the hull panels but I couldn't resists putting them up on the strongback to get a better sense of what I've gotten myself into again :D. No regrets.

I'll have Frames C and F up over the evenings of this week.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:17 am
by Larry B
Looking good, let me know when you need some help. I've got time on my hands and need something to do. Also I can learn some things.
Larry

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 pm
by sngatlanta
Am I going to have to put my SB18 in a container and come to you or will you be meeting me here for the race? :lol:
Marcelo should be ready soon also.

Keep up the good work and post often so we can see what’s going on.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:08 pm
by lncc63
Thanks guys for the encouragement. I got frames F and C up last night but I discovered an error in frame C, nothing that can be fixed by the almighty epoxy/fiberglass tandem. The error is in the side beams so I forged ahead in setting it up.

Setting up Frame C is proving to be a lot of fun. It being angled and all. Last night I figured I could use the cabin sole level as reference so I hung two piece of lumber between frames D and B flush with the cabin sole supports clamped to the posts holding up the frames. The lumber pieces hold Frame C up allowing me to move it around. I had to stop here because it was already 11pm but I figure I can use plumb to align the bottom edge to the mark on the strongback. The top I'll just align with a beam across the strongback. The thing is I have to make sure those sole supports on the other frames are dead on. Not a problem at all since this is just all an exercise at this point. Hey, just the same, I'd love to hear how other builders got this done. Greg? Marcelo?

Hey Larry, I may just take you up on your offer.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:23 pm
by marcelo
Hello Greg, Incc63, Larry!!!

How are you doing guys?

I am in this race do not forget me. :D

Incc63, this frame C is a good one.

I posted some pics in my blog and you will see how I got it aligned. You will find hundreds ways to do it, I guess that one is just one more way.

Check that out in http://www.sb18coral.zip.net

These are some pics where you can see how I did it:
http://sb18coral.zip.net/images/sb18017.JPG

http://sb18coral.zip.net/images/sb18018.JPG

I have a picture with some colorful lines where I tried to show where was my concern regarding these alignments. I hope it helps instead make more confusion.

Some progress with my SB18 Coral:

I finish planning the keel, I am ready to glass it and create the Keel box.

I will take some pics and try post it next weekend.

All the best.

Marcelo.

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 pm
by lncc63
Thanks Marcelo. I think I get what you did. I especially like it that you braced the strongback where the frames are suppose to go.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:47 am
by sngatlanta
Incc63,
Wish we knew your name.

Set all your other frames in place making certain they are plumb and square. The point at the bottom for frame “Câ€

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:04 pm
by lncc63
Thanks Greg for the info. Actually Frame C was the last I setup but I'll setup it first once I've got the hull panels ready.

A fellow Bateau fan, he has a VG20, was kind enough to piggyback the plywood I need for the hull panels from the hardware store so I'll be starting on the hull panels this weekend. Yipee! I thought I'd have to wait a few weeks.

Good luck with the sole. Please tell us in how you get it in. I'm sure it can be done but I've been wondering how easy it will really be. Any other insights would also be most appreciated.

Oh by the way my name is Louis.

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:52 pm
by chicagoross
Louis, if you guys put together your "consortium" for dealing with Santa Clara there must be a bunch of boats suddenly under construction in Luzon! Did you all get a reliable source finally?

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:18 pm
by lncc63
The plywood I'm getting is of the Santa Clara level but this is not the one we're putting a consortium together for.

The consortium is still the works. I guess we have 75% signed up for even though we're not yet settled on the cost but since this is a first we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 pm
by lncc63
Got all the hull panels done except the bottom, ran out of plywood :cry: just as well need to attend to the day job.

Image[/img]

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:13 am
by chicagoross
Good start, pretty soon it'll be looking like a boat! Where are you planning to use this one? Ocean? Where do you launch? I'm hoping to get back to our house in Imus this summer, where I have a 40 hp Merc with only about 25 hours on it waiting for my next build...haven't figured out what design yet, though...or financing... :doh: :D

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:44 am
by lncc63
Hi Ross. The boat will be based in Taal most of the time, our CR13 lives there. On occasion we'll take her out to sea. I expect she'll cross to Puerto Galera and hopefully will be capable of island hopping to Boracay and even Palawan. We'll see.

Financing? Granted the materials here aren't the best, it is surely hard to beat the prices. Drop us a line when you do get here.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm
by lncc63
And she goes 3D .... ha ha I did not take a picture of her full body .. this will have to do:

ImageImage

Stitching the bow .. taking my sweet time here.
ImageImage

How I got the frames level
ImageImage

How I got the angled cabin bulkhead into position:
ImageImage
Thanks Greg for pointing me in the right direction.

Discovered another mistake in my frames :oops:
Aside from this "big" error, I'm seeing a lot of small errors - gaps between the frames and the hull panels. I'm going to trust the hull panels and later get the frames to fit.

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:27 pm
by sngatlanta
Louis, did you find the error for that issue? Was it the frame or the panel. I had a few gaps but by pulling here and pushing there, add a screw to hold this and that it all lined up pretty good.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:30 am
by lncc63
It was the frame Ross. I spent the morning stitching and doing as you mentioned: pushing and pulling but I still have a big issue with Frame F. It is just not fitting itself to the hull at the first and second chines. I've remeasured the frame and I've not found any error. I also checked the frame spacing and those dimensions checked out too. I'll check the panels next. I suspect I may have done the bow wrong. Good thing tomorrow is Sunday.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:59 am
by Evan_Gatehouse
The frame sure looks wrong. You can see the side slope of the hull in the frames just behind and just in front it totally different than the wrong one. The hull panel has a fair curve between the other 2 frames so it's probably not the hull panel

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:21 pm
by lncc63
I spent most of Sunday realigning all the frames. Everything is A-OK now. I still have small gaps, 10mm or less at Frame F but they're symmetrical, and the hull is fair as far as I can tell.

ImageImage

One thing was I measured the position of Frame F from the wrong side so it was 9mm too close to Frame E. Also, Frame F wasn't standing up straight because the struts holding it upright were rather small being must 1x2 and would bend towards Frame E. After adding those two horizontal braces that are level with the bottom edge of the boat's cabin sole beams, the gaps at the 2nd chine reduced to about 10mm.

By the late afternoon, I had masking tape on all the seams and started filleting. Got a third done.

ImageImage

Yeah I wasn't gentle enough and broke the tip of the lower side panel. To fix it, after the tack welds are hard enough, I'll chop off about 30mm from the lower side panels and the bottom panel and glue piece of wood there which I will eventually shape into the tip of the bow.

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:50 pm
by lncc63
As hoped for I got the chines taped over the weekend. Saturday, I finished closing and rounding the chines. I also put in the nose piece.

Sunday was mostly taping.
ImageImage

This morning it was all cured but with the humidity so high yesterday the epoxy blushed a lot:

These chines used nearly a gallon of epoxy :(. I'm comforting myself this will be a strong boat. I tried using peel ply on the tape ... this did not go well and I ended up removing it. The problem is the peel ply cannot bend over the chines. I forget the mathematical term for it but peel ply can only bend like plywood. I've not given up totally though and will try again when I put the glass the bottom. I used one length for each panel.

First I've to sand these :( I think I'll hire someone to do this part. :D

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:55 pm
by chicagoross
First I've to sand these I think I'll hire someone to do this part.
My favorite part of boatbuilding in the Philippines! :)

Do you have any non-blush epoxy available in the Philippines? I have gotten spoiled using MarinEpoxy from the Bateau store - not so bad cleaning blush from an inverted hull, but when you're working on the insides of a right-side-up boat, the non-blush is a real time and labor saver.

Looks like I'll be back in PI this summer - SWMBO has pretty much decided. :D

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:03 pm
by lncc63
Hi Ross ... yup I'm lucky on that part of this great hobby of ours. The epoxy I'm using Cord Stronghold seems to have a strong blush when the humidity is high. It was so humid in the late afternoon I thought it was going to rain. Polymer Products started selling epoxy last year. I only saw it in actual use the other week and the user said it has very minimal blush. Also, it is a lot less viscous, a much longer working time and is less costly. Unfortunately for me I've 2 more gallons of the Stronghold to use up.

So which boat are you building?

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 pm
by Evan_Gatehouse
Peel ply should go over the chines. Your radiuses might be a bit small. Apply in short lengths though - say 500mm to 1000mm long. It won't go around the curves of the hull as well.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 am
by D2Maine
nm

Re: SB18 in the Philippines

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:08 pm
by lncc63
I'm pretty sure it won't Evan. I guess it is not the same as what you refer to.

I got this peelply from the local fiberglass vendor. I'm not really sure if this is epoxy compatible. It tends to stick and rip sometimes when I take it off. It is a lot stiffer than thick plastic bags I've been using, but it does produce a really nice smooth surface. The plastic bags produce a wrinkled surface even though I use a roller to apply them. I could be doing something wrong since I've been playing it by ear mostly.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:18 pm
by lncc63
Rainy season started early ... global warming ... so I built a model in Sketchup. Sketchup is a neat program but there is no way yet it seems to put the curved panels. Anyone know how to do it? Positioning the other panels that are not square with the drawing space was not easy either. In the end though it still beats doing nothing.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:52 am
by kiwi
Look at what Gilles can do...

www.amateurboatbuilding.com I have a Riva I will put up this week.

Cheers

Tony

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 am
by lncc63
It took some doing,and it is far from perfect, but it will do.

A typhoon is forecasted this weekend :x.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:30 pm
by sngatlanta
Louis, I may be missing something here but you have a full scale model in the building shed :lol:
Easier for me to work in 3d on the real thing. Hope the weather doesn’t mess you up to bad, stay safe.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm
by lncc63
Thanks Greg for the concern. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration. Yup I spent last weekend preparing for the typhoons. I wrapped the SB18 in tarp secured it well for the winds that will sure come. At first I was thinking I might sneak in some building time now and then but on second thought I'd rather not chance it. Oh well.

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:33 pm
by lncc63
At ks8's nudging ... thanks I needed that :D.

Well I started working on the SB18 again this week though sorry to say this really just going to be a short push since I'm doing so only so I can get the SB18 off the building jig, and start building a VG20 :D :D. The VG20 build is a commercial venture, it is going to be chartered out, so it has to take priority.

Last Sunday, I did the undesirable task of sanding the tape on the chines. It wasn't so bad, even though the angle grinder really kicked up a lot of fiberglass dust, because I applied a good amount of talc power over my arms, face and neck.

After wiping down the hull with a damp rag, I then laid out the two 8kg packages of 400gms 45/45 biax with a 12" overlap over the centerline of the boat. The biax overlaps the upper chines by 3". I appreciate the thought the designers put into making the materials fit so nicely. The glass is held in place with a few staples. I have no intention of taking out the staples out unless the designers tell me otherwise.

Over the past few days, I've been laminating the glass to the hull. I really wanted to do it in one sitting however between my schedule and the schedule the rains have been insisting on this is the only way possible. My routine is I roll back the tarp and plastic sheeting that the boat is normally covered with enough to expose the portion of unlaminated glass I'll work on. I probably work on 500mm - 1000mm sections at a time. I don't prime the wood anymore because that would require not having the staples and rolling the glass up. Priming would be better I think but .... anyway what I do is I pour the mixed epoxy, about 6 pumps of the calibrated pumps sold here, onto the "keel" and let the glass soak it up. I use a squeegee to spread the epoxy and kneed it in as necessary. Once the glass is wet, I then put a plastic sheet over the new epoxy and use a roller to squeeze out the excess epoxy along with the fiberglass muck. I then pull the tarp over and have my nighcap beer. This has been my routine the past few days.

I'm contemplating putting biax on the sides. The plywood I had available at the time is only 3-ply. The glue is good and we've used this for quite sometime now on several boats so I'm not really worried. A few kg more of glass and epoxy for a stronger boat sits well with me.

Recently, "closed to BS1088" plywood has come onto the Philippine market. The only difference according to the manufacturer is that the outer veneers are rated "B/C" but honestly I can't tell the difference. So I am contemplating replacing my frames using this new plywood.

Another development is that someone is going to indefinitely loan me an unused Hobie 16 mast. As already mentioned, the H16 mast is short at only 8080mm. The SB18 needs a 9085mm long mast. After reading the other discussions on the board, my plan is to splice a piece of schedule 40 6061-T6 pipe at the bottom up to the mast partner, and then make an extended mast head to make up for the rest of the 55mm. Ideas on how to splice the pipe to the end would be most welcome.

Sorry guys I've not been able to take any pictures of the SB18 however here is a picture of the 3rd CR13 in the Philippines that I am hosting at my house. Also in the back, there is a Summer Breeze that we modified to be nesting and with taped seams. Again my apologies, the picture is 2 weeks old. The CR13 already has its seats, and the Summer Breeze is already cut in two.

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 am
by lncc63
Oh yeah did get a lot of work done on the Sketchup model :D

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:07 pm
by topwater
Sketchup model is stunning...... :!:
The boat looks nice to :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:08 pm
by Dog Fish
She looks to be very stable with that flat butt :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm
by lncc63
Thanks guys. Working with the model is nice and it does help a lot visualizing but of course nothing compares to the real thing.

On Saturday we had a nice sunny day so was able to put in 5 hours straight to finish laminating the rest of the bottom biax. Tonight I'll fit the biax for the sides.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:32 pm
by ks8
Hopefully Evan or J will answer soon about the sheer clamps on the other thread. Are you going to give model a name?

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:21 am
by lncc63
Oh you guys are referring to THAT model ... well she's not mine ... unfortunately. I just borrowed her, I think she's with a Mirror sailor :(.

We got the biax on the sides last night. Having 3 others to help was a welcome relief.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am
by lncc63
It is still raining here. August is suppose to be the "rainiest" month. Despite this boat building is "booming" in our yard. The VG20 went 3D the other weekend, the CR13 only needs her daggerboard trunk and mast step, and the nesting Summer Breeze is just about ready for painting (owner is suffering the "never ending saga" syndrome). With all this activity, I've conceded that I can no longer restain myself to not work on our SB18.

Earlier, I mentioned that the SB18 was sitting in our street. Well I kept worrying a tyhpoon would come and flip her so we moved her into our yard. It was't easy, and involved removing a portion of our fence but we did get her in though she is still upside down. This weekend I'm going to flip the SB18 and build a small tent over her so I can continue working :D. I'll have to make another strongback too but that's fine with me.

I love helping others build boats but I have to be honest that I need to be building mine too.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 am
by chicagoross
Glad you're finally making some progress again!

We visited our place in Imus July for a few weeks, and amazingly enough all of my BB tools are still there, my 40 hp Merc is still on it's stand waiting for the next build (but the guys in Subic that bought my 24 footer haven't picked it up yet so no building room). Couldn't get my jeep running, though...but altogether not bad after a 3 year absence. My spend Christmas too, if we make any $ between now and then.

Didn't have to go boating, though, we were leaving pretty good wakes just cruising through the streets of Cavite and Manila in the Delica... :D

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:49 am
by lncc63
Good to hear it Ross. Isn't Imus a traffic nightmare?

Christmas season is sailing season so if you do get here give us shout. You and your Admiral (that's what we call our wives) would be most welcome to messabout with us. The SB18 won't be ready by then, still need to pass my New Boat Fund Jar around a bit more, but we can lend you our club D5 :lol: ... don't worry about it, there surely be enough boats to messabout in.

Oh you'll love to build a boat here even more now. We've got "nearly BS1088" now and the laminating epoxy competetion is heating up so prices are going down. Glass is still as good as a monopoly but the prices are still very boatbuilder friendly. One thing though, I'm pretty sure you know this, OBs are still the BIG problem - absurdly high prices, so don't sell that one your keeping. I wouldn't worry too much about the OB getting stolen as not many people really use OBs here.

To keep us on topic, well I flipped the SB18 and I put on the inside fillets. Sunday morning I took my time sanding the fillets as I did not want to put the tape on while the temperature was rising. Mid-afternoon, I figured it would already be ok to start taping. Just to make sure I rechecked that the boat was still level and not really to my surprise she was not anymore. In an attempt to take a shortcut, it seemed like a good idea at first, I just relevelled the boat on the frames I used to turn her with - no strongback and I'm building on dirt. So I postponed the taping till I can build a soild strongback and be sure there'll be no twisting.

The problem now however is that there is little room to manuever the three boats not to mention build the strongback. I'll figure something out. Friday is a holiday here so I've an extra day of boat building.

Oh yeah the Farrier builder came over. He really likes the SB18 design. He asked if I was forming a class. My answer was I've a standing offer to host SB18s builds (CR13s too) as long as there is space in our yard. He mentioned building it in foam ... is that possible? The great thing is he also agreed to let me use their vacuum bagging facility for FREE! I'll have to do it on a Sunday so I don't get in the way of their production and just have to pay his guys that help me - fantastic!

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:29 am
by jacquesmm
I could give you foam sandwich scantlings for the SB18.
It may be worth it you vacuum bag in a mold otherwise the weight reduction would be negligible.
Even vacuum bagged, it will not be a spectacular weight saving.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:15 pm
by lncc63
Thanks Jacques. I'll let him know you can provide scantlings if he ever decided to build it in foam.

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 am
by chicagoross
Good to hear about the ply and epoxy availibility! It was a real challenge finding them last time. Thanks for the invite, I'll let you know if we can make it. Love to see some of the builds and builders there!

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 pm
by lncc63
The weather was kind to us and we got essentially 3 days of building in. On Friday I had was able to finish the frame of the strongback, and on Saturday we make the concrete feet. By the end of Sunday, we had the SB18 on her strongback with 2x4s set to the correct heights for her bottom.

Kind of looks ok however I can't seem to get the transom to fit quite right. Notice that the bottom and chine panels are a bit curved. This is because it does take a good amount of force to push the upper chine joints to the correct height.

The gaps are not much but I think there is a lot of stress here. Also the side panels will similarly need to be stressed to get the gaps to the transom smaller.

Is this OK? How about I take a heat gun to soften the epoxy?

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 pm
by lncc63
Coaxing her ...

Almost there :D

I think I'll be taping this weekend after all. A lot of extra work to remove the frames again but that's ok.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 am
by lncc63
Took quite awhile but I did get all the frames taped last month. The bunks are also fitted and taped. The bunk hatches are nearly finished.

ImageImage

Some other pictures
ImageImage
ImageImage

Found an "opps".
I suspect I switched the last two vertical dimensions of the side panel. In the picture, I already planed the side at Frame A down about 10mm. The batten shows the fair curve. Easily fixed with a little wood and epoxy.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm
by lncc63
Got the CB cut over the weekend. The steel core came to 58kg. I changed my plans (Sketchup drawing) and did not use hardwood for the trailing edge, just the leading edge. The trailing edge is all plywood.

I took pictures of it curing but they're still in the camera. I'll post them later.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 am
by lncc63

Must of used a quart of epoxy on this thing.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:53 am
by SCUBA
Hi, would you let me know where are you located in the Philippines? I stay on Bohol and have just started with the cheap canoe! Ah,...and where do you buy your epoxy?

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:05 am
by lncc63
Hi SCUBA. Please check out the forum at the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club. I'm sure you'll find everything you need ... actually a lot more than you'll want I'm afraid. Oh and you might be interested to hook up with the other builders in Bohol, I think there are two of them.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am
by peter-curacao
lncc63 wrote:Hi SCUBA. Please check out the forum at the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club.
Very cool site Image that powercat is enormous Image

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm
by lncc63
Quick update:

Got most of those glue battens in ... also added deck stringers like Robert and Greg, a few more to go then some other interior "fixtures" then I'll start finishing the interior.
ImageImage

Started making the rudder using the technique I saw Greg use.
ImageImage
Still a work in progress though.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 pm
by Larry B
Louis, Thanks for the update and pictures. She is really looking good.

Future VG23 in the Philippines

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 am
by Mark Wilson
Hi incc, I am new to this, but i am interested in the VG23. I posed some questions in the forum an D2 Maine suggested i contaact this thread. My concerns were where i could purchase all the materials except wood here in the Philippines. I am really concerned about spars, rigging, sails, and hardware. I assume with a little searching i could find epoxy, paint ect in hardware stores. By the way I live just outside Del Monte plantation, Cagayan de Ore, Mindanao. thanks Mark Wilson

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:39 pm
by lncc63
Hi Mark. Come visit the http://www.pinoyboats.org - this is the website of the Philippine Home Boatbuilder's Yacht Club (PHBYC). There are active discussions on where you can get materials and equipment. The biggest problem is really getting a mast which is particularly true for the VG23. Currently, there is no VG23 in our fleet but one is under construction by a member here in Manila.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am
by lncc63
CB case, modified to also take the bulb keel, installed:

Aft view of the case which will stick out of the cockpit sole:
I made it stick out so I can make the top removable and so I'll have extra space to put the CB lifting tackle in. Should also make it easier to pound the CB loose when it gets stuck.

Inside view of the seats, not yet glued to the hull.
Notice I assembled them stitch and glue style which I think will make the seats stronger and make up for the 3-ply-only plywood I used. The thing is, I realized this only after I'd assembled them, that it is going to be harder to glue them to the hull ... nothing comes free afterall.

Doubler pads for the stanchion posts:

Hopefully, I'll have the bunks, seats (inner side only), and the aft bilge painted this Saturday, and maybe just maybe I'll have them glued by Sunday.

Oh by the way, sorry if the boat is a mess, was too lazy to clean up before taking the pictures.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:12 pm
by ks8
Nice. :)
lncc63 wrote:I made it stick out so I can make the top removable and so I'll have extra space to put the CB lifting tackle in. Should also make it easier to pound the CB loose when it gets stuck.
Sounds familiar. :D
Notice I assembled them (the seats) stitch and glue style which I think will make the seats stronger and make up for the 3-ply-only plywood I used. The thing is, I realized this only after I'd assembled them, that it is going to be harder to glue them to the hull ... nothing comes free afterall.
Can't you get in under the seats, once in place, and shape nice clean fillets?

I was going to say, *Nice job at building a small keelboat inside your SB18 berth*, but.... nah... :lol:
Oh by the way, sorry if the boat is a mess, was too lazy to clean up before taking the pictures.
Right... that's a mess???? I refuse to allow Bondo's AD14 pictures to set the bar for a clean build. He blows things out with a leaf blower before pictures! :lol:

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm
by lncc63
ks8 wrote:Can't you get in under the seats, once in place, and shape nice clean fillets?
A kid could do it no problem but I'm too many decades beyond that ... but yes that's why I said I made things harder :cry: ... should be a small adventure.
ks8 wrote:I was going to say, *Nice job at building a small keelboat inside your SB18 berth*, but.... nah... :lol:
There's another one in the starboard bunk :)
ks8 wrote:Right... that's a mess???? I refuse to allow Bondo's AD14 pictures to set the bar for a clean build. He blows things out with a leaf blower before pictures! :lol:
I'll aspire to his level but I sincerely doubt I'll ever make the grade.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 am
by lncc63
Well the "adventure" did happen but man I'm still sore from it.

Next time I'm using the good stuff for the seats or even just using the next higher thickness rather than having to crawl around like that again.

Actually I'm not quite finished, notice the unpainted battens. Some touching up is also sorely needed. I'll let my neck muscles recuperate first.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 am
by Larry B
Looking good Louis, man if that was me painting in there you would just have to just close it up and use me for floation :D :D

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 am
by lncc63
Hahaha ... the thing is I don't think you'd fit LarryB. Hey how's that boat of your's coming?

Tonight I made the mast step and cut the glass for it. I also started cleaning up the sheer glue joints but I need to use a router on it before I tape but that's a daytime-only operation. Finally, I fit the forward deck to find inspiration in the things to come.

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:38 pm
by ks8
What a difference paint makes. Nice! :)

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm
by lncc63
Put the mast step in though I still have brush on a little more epoxy ...

Got a quarter of the cabin sole in as well as the cockpit sole

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm
by Robert Olson
Louis,

Now I believe you can understand the difficulty of working the tight spaces inside the SB18. I'm a large person (6 feet tall and 275 pounds) and had to resort to hiring a young smaller student (140 pounds and 1/3 my age) from the wooden boat school in Port Townsend, Washington. That was most likely the smartest thing I have done since building the boat. The problem is that he graduated and went back to Texas.
As usual you are a very inventive person and I appreciate the way you have gone about your build. I suppose the old saying here " Necessity is the mother of invention" is very true. Best of luck and hurry up, get ahead of the rest of us so we can learn from your experiences.

Best of luck,
Robert

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm
by ks8
It will take a lot of hustling to get ahead of you Robert. :lol: Aren't you just about ready to launch? :)

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:58 pm
by lncc63
Thanks again Robert for the encouragement. I get a lot of inspiration from our little community here.

Last night, I put masking tape along the edges of the cockpit sole and the seat sides so I got another good dose of "bonding time" with my boat. I'm only 5'5" and 160 lbs but it was still a challenge. With the temperature here now at 90F and humidity at probably 80%, I'm now very sure I need to put ventilators because after only a few minutes in the starboard bunk I had to get out and fetch an electric fan to blow some air inside. My idea here is rig 12 volt fans behind 6"-8" inspection ports on the seat sides near the end of each bunk. I was going to put wet lockers at the end of each seat but I gave up on that idea when I put in the seat top reinforcing battens. A small plastic tray lashed to the cockpit sole under the tiller should do for having a small anchor ready.

How's your build going Robert? I've been watching of updates almost everyday. Oh by the way, if you don't mind could you describe how you went about the spi pole? This is a step that I don't have a clear idea of how to do.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 pm
by Robert Olson
Louis,

I beleive the plans directions tell us to use a section of 3.05 ID PVC pipe as an insert for the Spi pole to slide thru. That is what I did but I extended the PVC on out of the side of the boat to just about the tip of the bow. I first used a long drill bit to put a pilot hole thru the small bulkhead and the side of the boat. I also purchased an 8 foot section of aluminum 3.0 OD tubing to use as an alignment tool and it will be my Spi pole when I finish the boat. Before I cut the hole in the boat, I used a section of the PVC pipe cut at the correct angle as a template. This took few trys before I was able to get it right. Then I strarted undersized and opened the hole until I could slide the section of PVC pipe thru the hole. Then I was able to bond the PVC pipe in place with the aluminum tubing in place as a guide. After this I had the PVC pipe to fillet against. I also put a section of pipe and two plywood doublers in the bulkhead aft of the Spi pole drain box to help support the Spi pole as it slides.
Before you close up the decks make sure you have the head stay u-bolt in place and the life line end supports in place. I forgot the end supports and now I'm going to have to put in an access panel in that small compartment.
The build is full of challenges and wish someone else had built one before me. Greg was ahead of us but I believe his circumstances slowed him down. I am not very good with the directions but I do hope this assists you in some way. As you are aware there is always a hundred ways to succeed.

Best of luck,
Robert

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:01 am
by lncc63
Thanks Robert. I'll work on those things this weekend though I may have to pick your brain a bit more. Good thing you mentioned the lifeline supports. I've not been thinking of them consciously.

Tonight I glued in the transom brace. I also cut the biax strips I'll use to tape the seat sides to the cockpit sole, , no tape here.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 pm
by lncc63
Went sailing on Saturday. Our yacht club asked if the three CR13s would like to run in their monthly races along side the Hobie 16 ... something to think about. I did get some work on the SB18 in on Sunday.

Taped the cockpit sole to the transom as well as the transom support, everything with 2 layers of 400gsm biax.

Also got the cockpit sole taped to the seat sides:

Not really sure if it is called for but I'll probably put tape along the sheer. I have to go and buy the spi pole though.

I was thinking I'd need to touch up the bunk ceiling (underside of the seat tops) while laying on my back, not a pretty prospect. Now I realize I can do that when I flip the boat making it a lot easier. I'll touch up the bunks themselves while the boat is right side up.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:05 pm
by sngatlanta
Robert Olson wrote:Louis,

Greg was ahead of us but I believe his circumstances slowed him down.
No hold up here other than being out of town on a job for a few months. I just don’t check the forum anymore. We’ll be sailing her this spring. If you have questions I suggest an email through the board but don’t look for anything new on my threads or blog. I just got tired of that scene. Gone back to the simpler life, you’d be amazed how much time you have.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:07 am
by lncc63
Great to hear it Greg.

Today I put in the starboard forward "quarter" of the cabin sole, sanded down the seats, and did the forestay reinforcement. Not much progress I know, been under the weather for awhile ... and to be completely honest, have taken on another project - a 17-foot trimaran :) ... my fishing boat, a GV17, is going to be pushed back a few months.

Tomorrow I'll put in the holes for the CB lifting tackle. As I mentioned earlier, and maybe under another topic, the tackle will be neatly tucked away inside the CB case. The CB case will have a removable top so I can get at the tackle if it needs servicing. I think I'll also add a web inside the case between its sides at the level of the cockpit sole so the removable cover does not need to take any transverse (?) compression loads. Still have to figure out a way to use this tackle to lift the bulb keel when using this option.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 am
by lncc63
The southwest monsoon will start in a few weeks. Since my SB18 already suffer one monsoon, I figured I had better let her sit this coming one with a full coat of epoxy. So last Sunday as soon as the summer heat began to abate, I put the glass on the seats.

Next I'll put on the cockpit glass.

Still no spi pole, I've just not gotten myself to "waste" half of a building day to go and get it. Can someone suggest a way to do the front (forward deck and cabin roof) without having to put the spi pole just yet?

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:04 am
by Larry B
Louis, can't help with your question, but just wanted to say your boat is looking great :D

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm
by lncc63
Thanks Larry. With a little luck I should be able to offer you guys a ride the next time you guys visit here.

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm
by Larry B
Looking forward to it :D

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am
by Robert Olson
Louis,
I used a section of PVC pipe that had a ID of 3.05 inches and built that into the Spin poles support box and thru the bulkheads that the Spin pole travels through. The Spin pole is 3.00 OD, the Spin pole slides right thru the PVC pipe. After you have finished the installation you may trim the PVC pipe to what ever length you desire. Then proceed with the completion of the deck and cabin top.
I realize you may not have the exact materials required but this may provide you with an idea :idea: . You are very inventive! Take a look at my photo page there maybe a picture that can help.

Best of Luck,
Robert

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:08 pm
by ks8
Robert... a link to your photo page in your *signature* might be very convenient for many *browsers* of your posts. :D

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm
by lncc63
Oh I've been looking at your pictures Robert. They've definitely helped as well as inspired.

Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:32 am
by lncc63
Started the roof.

Re: SB18 in the Philippines-battens

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:59 pm
by fragi
How did you glue this battens? At the top sides of the frames? Or on top of them as well as the top of the boat's sides? About deck supporting battens did you cut part of the top of the frames to put them through, below deck?

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:11 pm
by lncc63
The battens are on the sides of the frames. The top of a batten is aligned to the top of the frame it is attached to. Yes, I cut notches in the frames for the deck support battens.

Actually Fragi, I believe the build manual calls for the deck to be taped to the frames. The taping is done when the boat is flipped. You would also do this along with glassing the underside of the roof and taping it to the frames. I overlooked this in my enthusiasm to get the battens on.

Battens on the frames are really only called for to support the bunks, the cockpit and cabin soles, and the seat panels - I believe this is because there is really no way to tape these to the frames. Taping them to the frames would actually be better I think.

If you feel you need battens to support a surface, please instead consider glassing the underside of the surface. In retrospect this would have been a better solution I believe. With my plywood, which is only 3 ply, I would have even considered using biax. Of course though you should ask Jacques and Evan about this.