OB17 Underway downunder.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

OB17 Underway downunder.

Post by sideslippa »

The plans have arrived, I've been studying the plans and these forums. Currently collecting materials and getting the work area ready. Consruction will start in approx three weeks.
I intend to post progress along with a few photos. Looking foward to the experience...however long it takes at two hours a day, give or take.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB17 Underway downunder.

Post by peter-curacao »

sideslippa wrote:I intend to post progress along with a few photos.
Great looking foward to that :P

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Thanks Peter. I have ordered the plywood today. It is all marine ply, Australian Hoop Pine for the hull and imported Pacific Maple for the frame stringers sole etc. I will have it mid week. The Hoop Pine is very expensive but apparently very good.

Regards Steve.

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Sideslippa, welcome aboard. Where are you?

I went to the Wooden Boat festival in Hobart last weekend, awesome boats more of the traditional build. I spoke to a bloke there about ply, he suggested to me the Hoop pine was the closest to okume.

This bloke sold bote-cote epoxy products and swore by it, obviously, he sells it :doh: He reckoned it doesn't get amine blush like other brands and claims it is easier to use being a 2:1 mix and not 5:1 :? What are you going to use?

Good luck with the build, I will watch your photo's.

I'm in Merimbula, far south coast N.S.W.

Mick

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

G'Day Mick,
I am in Bundaberg QLD. Yep I have heard of Bote Cote, but I was intending to use a marine epoxy from FGI (fibre glass international) It is 5:1 . I have used it before and found it to be excellent. Still got a couple of Kilo left. I suppose I should check out the price differences before I order. was intending to order this week.

Good thing you are not further south hey, pretty bad those bush fires.

see ya. cheers, Steve.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Close to starting now... I have the plywood, glass and epoxy in the workshop. ended up going with West Systems products.
Anyhow I will attempt to add first photos soon.

Steve

Cracka
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cracka »

G'day Steve,

Sorry I didn't reply mate, I knew there was a thread I was watching but I couldn't find it for looking :doh:

Yeah mate those fires are a shocker, and still some are burning, glad they have got at least 1 for lighting them. Should do the same to him I reckon, I would suggest it would stop others doing it.

Good luck on the build I look forward to the piccies.

Mick.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Had a go at posting a couple of photos but could only get the links to work. Anyhow, apparently, all that is required now is to assemble the stuff in the photos to resemble a boat...mmmm

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... 1235631286[/img]
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... 1235632484

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

There you go :D The url has to end in jpg so disregard the ?t=12345 after jpg and highlight everything before and including jpg then hit the image button once. Let the fun begin :D 8)
Aloha

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Thanks for the tip Fonda, I will give it a shot...

Thanks again, that did it...Kind regards, Steve