OB17 Underway downunder.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB17 Underway downunder.

Post by Sideslippa1 »

A bit restricted here in Australia with maximum width at 2.5 metre. 8xfeet three inches.
So that particular model is too wide.
That's OK. Some more deadrise and more of a sporty style would be preferred. A bit more comfort cruising in the usual chop from 10 to 15 knots of breeze.

I see the CS 25 with cabin is great but also too wide here down under.

So the rules here are the problem. I see the
GS 28 is the correct width. I could construct a light cabin and light cabin roof similar to the Novi 23. Reef fishing and trolling for ocean Pelagic species is a major focus so a fully enclosed cabin and furniture is not required.

The Abaco 23 maybe an option.??? It depends if the designer believes a light cabin and shelter is allowable.

I know I will need much larger engine but that is the the compromise I need to make.
The inboard and outdrive leg is an appealing option for me. I am an old mechanic so I can deal with all the mechanical stuff and build a suitable engine.

Have been looking at all sorts of designs out there most are conventional build or stitch and tape with protruding full length keels. Yuk!!!
I have recently completed a conventional build and I really enjoyed it. Only a 4 metre boat.

This time and for a boat around 8 metre I really want to go with stitch and tape. All that scarfing I want to avoid.

My trusty OB17 has travelled over 20 thousand miles banging around on the sea and has been an awesome boat. Not a crack to be seen.

So I want to go with a boat from this catalogue if possible.

Thanks.

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

I would like to make use of Chine Flats similar to those on the little blue boat in the photos. These I had to add so it is very appealing that the Abaco has them engineered into the design
I would also like some bow flare. It looks great and an important resale feature I think.
Once again Abaco looking good.
The dead rise on the little blue boat is 15 degrees and it handles a sharp chop very well so once again.
It's just the cabin and shelter problem holding me back. I can use Coosa or similar for cabin and shelter construction??
Thanks.
Attachments
20210411_173235.jpg
20210411_172240.jpg
20210411_173322.jpg
20211106_175605.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

The blue boat has one good looking hull :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yea it is Fuzz, i remember him building it. Sideslippa how about the AB23 with a cuddy cabin at bow. Just enough for two bunks and a porta-potti. Take a look at the GS28 plans for the idea. You will need to build up the sides a few inches maybe to have sitting head room. The added weight here would be offset by putting the motor on a bracket.

Another thought is to use inwales instead of rubrails on the DE25 and then just a rubber strip on the outside. An inwale takes the place of the rubrail it is the same size and you cut out notches in the frames for it to fit through. Now you are down from 8'4" to 8'2".

Well, just some thoughts.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Yep that AB 23 is looking good. Just the right size for what I want. A very nice looking hull and it will ride nice out in the ocean.
It needs some power but I can sort that.

I do like the DE 25 and Novi 23 in a different way. The look like they should as a more laid back cruiser. It is just that the semi displacement hulls cruise with the bow so high and the sharper bow sections are up in the air instead of down in the water slicing up the waves like they should.
I am considering them and the inwhale idea is very good. But I am not sure if that design will cruise in the ocean so well without a bit of pounding.
The old OB17. (Haha I call it the Old Banger 17) can pound a bit but I can often trim the bow right down and get away with a nice comfy cruise. Surprisingly good for a boat with only seven degree deadrise.
I am thinking the DE or NV will not trim the bow in like a boat with a more constant deadrise. Am I correct here ???

Anyhow the AB 23 is a variable deadrise bottom and I think that style can have a high trim at speed too. To a lesser degree than the semi displacement type I assume.
But then I am not really interested in high speed cruising. Just on plane is perfect for me and that speed will depend on the design I choose.

Yeah, I am being a bit pedantic but a larger boat is a huge commitment especially considering I will spend more time than most for a very Very high quality fit and finish.
Don't need to spend 1500 plus hours on a vessel that's not right for us.

So... DE 25. Lower cost, economical to run, comfy cruiser looks. Room for creature comforts. Approx 100 horse power, lower towing weight, less fuel weight, slower cruise on plane, may pound in chop???

Or AB23. Higher costs, not very economical to run, sleek sporty looks, less room, higher cruise speed with comfort( a big feature). Probably less stable at rest. Higher towing weight especially with much larger fuel tanks full of fuel.

Oh dear what a conundrum.
I probably should communicate with some of the owners of these boats.

Thanks again.

Oh the little blue boat is a thirteen foot Hartley design, I just wanted to try a conventional style build. No regrets but I am very happy it was small. I have plans here for a much bigger version of that boat at 22 foot. 7 feet 10 inch beam. 15 degree. It ticks a lot of boxes except it is a conventional build with a whole lot of carpentry and nails and screws etc. And did I mention all that Douglass Fir longeron scarfing and fairing and ashcroft cold moulding. 😆 🥱
Cheers.

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Some more pics of the little blue boat. This is the fit and finish we can expect on the next build. Yep, that is a whole lot of fairing and sanding. But I really do enjoy fairing and sanding. All by hand and torture board.
A DE 25 would probably be five times the surface area. Mmmm that may change my attitude 😆
Attachments
20211215_141844.jpg
20211216_183645.jpg
20211218_081830.jpg
20211218_082746.jpg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Nice to see you on the forums again. I took some ideas from your build for my C17: The chine flats and the way you did the inside glass, same way as that Aussie designer does it.

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Seriously... The OP21 is so close to what I need. If I could keep it to 8 feet 3 inch beam or at least very close with the inwhale and no rubrail system and add another three feet of length it would be so perfect.
It's the right bottom and deadrise. I can add chine flats and it looks a whole lot better than a Tollman Jumbo.
Can it be done.???

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Thanks OneWayTraffic. Just had a flick through your C17 build and it's coming along nice. You won't be disappointed with those chine flats or the way you chose to glass your boat. Mine has been given a proper flogging for over a decade and also its whole life on a roller trailer and on some rough roads too.
Yeah that other designer borrowed or more correctly took that idea from me. How about that!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

My build is currently in the doldrums. Been a month since we've had good weather in the weekend. Getting a bit done each day I can, I'm currently putting together a built in chilly/cooler/esky/fish box under the port side bench. Drains out the side.

I'm hoping you will build the GS28. Long enough for any use, will take a diesel sterndrive if you like, and I've never seen a build. Would be nice to see. :D