OB17 Underway downunder.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Thanks Dave, I hope to get the stringers finished this weekend and move on to cutting out some more frames.

regards Steve.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Big day of building today, marking out stations /frames, have got them all done. Just got to cut them out.

Made a few small changes to the design just for personal preference. The side of the boat will be a bit taller...about 30mm. The Gunwales will be wider and flat/horizontal to the sole, casting deck higher and all the way to the bow. Have marked all the frames to suit.

I will post photos soon that explain. My old boat I made this way and it works well. Except it is made from aluminium (rubbish) and it is small. The OB17 is lots bigger and made from the good stuff. :wink:

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Had to add some wood to allow for the alteration from the plan. Horizontal gunwales and higher sheerline.

Photo of my old boat showing flat gunwales and large high cast deck. the changes I am making to the OB17 design are similar to this. The cast deck will be 390mm from the sole.

This picture shows the modification and the raised casting deck height. Station "B"

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Now have all the stations, clamping boards, and transom cut out. All the diagonals are equal and I have drawn around the outside of each one then flipped them over to see if they are a mirror image...surprise surprise, they are all good. Very happy bout that I think!
Panels next...

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Better laminate the transom before I cut out the hull panels.

I like to see a nice bead of resin squeeze out. I am useing a heap of screws to press the clamping board to the transom. I will remove them and repeat the process with the next clamping board.

I have checked the lay-up with a straight edge and it is dead flat.

After the transom is laminated is it best to drill out the screw holes and fill them or is it OK to just fill them as they are :?:

Is that enough screws ?

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Looks like you could use a few more screws..... :lol: I think I used 4 in total and a couple of 5 gallon pails...

You don't want too much pressure when glueing with epoxy, just enough to expel air. The ooze looks good.

Just fill the holes, no drilling rqd. What are you using for filler in your glue? It should be wood flour and that doesn't look like wood flour. Microballoons are too weak for glueing and Cabosil is too brittle.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

The glue looks like gel magic.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

What are you using for filler in your glue? It should be wood flour and that doesn't look like wood flour. Microballoons are too weak for glueing and Cabosil is too brittle.
Hi there Lucky_Louis. The filler I am useing is West systems 403. It is a mixture of cotton microfibre (cotton flock) and cabosil. Woodflour is not available here. I asked the people at ATL composites (a big boat building and composite company here) what to use and they told me to use the 403. I hope that it is OK. Most of my experience with building is with composite airplanes, we call them aeroplanes in Australia. (Jabiru aircraft), they use that product as well. they also use just the pure cotton microfibre especially on the fillets. I was thinking it may be better to use that when it comes time to make my fillets. I have not used any Q-cell or microballons for glueing I know it is weak.

Are there any other alternatives you are aware of :?:

I think I might get some microfibre flock from the aeroplane people just in case.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

sideslippa wrote:The filler I am useing is West systems 403.
Woodflour is not available here.
I was thinking it may be better to use that when it comes time to make my fillets.
Aren’t there any carpenter factories in your neighborhood to get the wood flour? I always get it there and best of it it’s for free :P
403 is good for laminating, for your (bonding)fillets I would use 406
Ciao

Peter

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

I think I used 4 in total and a couple of 5 gallon pails...
I though my lamination might be overkill. I did try to do it with weight by placing five tractor batteries on it but I got a bit paranoid because I was not getting a good ooze and the weight made the lamination and workbench ( which is quite solid) flex a bit. Only a bit, say about a milimeter I think that is about 1/16 in inches.

Anyhow I got worried so I screwed it together. Because I have never built a boat before I do not know how carefull I have to be with stuff like that. I literally spent hours and hours just on getting the stringers dead straight...and they are...now.

I have been infected with a obsesive compulsive perfectionist Gene. It is a curse sometimes :lol:

Slippa