OB17 Underway downunder.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB17 Underway downunder.

Post by chicagoross »

The fish are awesome! Double for the boat pics (even with the etec :D ). Sure looks like you're enjoying the fruits of your labor, Slippa!

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Thanks fellas, nice to keep in touch and good to see some of the progress with some of the builds. I remember that those etecs (often called Stormtroopers here) were the topic of a few debates on the forum and I wondered If I might have made a mistake by purchasing one for my boat. Thankfully so far it has been good with no problems at all and almost 250 hours of use. Sure hope it stays that way.

Sure is economical or maybe its the hull. A friend and I went out recently about 12 miles offshore, he in his boat me in mine. His boat is similar size glass boat a bit smaller but probably a bit heavier, he has it proped right and top speed is just a bit less than mine. It has a 90 Yamaha triple carb two stroke. We covered the same distance at the same speed, conditions where ordinary. His fuel consumption 65 litres. My fuel consumption 23 litres. We both did about one hour of trolling. His Yamaha however has done almost one thousand hours and has never let him down...hope I can say the same for the etec at those hours.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

View of the composite windscreen frame..sure is good to hide behind in bad weather. The LED overhead lights are mounted on top. The screen setup is quiet firm and light and easily removable/portable. The grey grab handles are home made of light weight ply and wrapped in epoxy carbon comp. Mounted with dubro brass thread inserts buried in the ends.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Thats a good looking boat. Your rod rack/work station at the stern is very unique. 8O :D Never seen anything like it, I like it! Your fish pictures are great! Those barras look like the aftermath of a black drum and a snook's wild saturday night! 8O :lol: Australia is on my short list of fishing destinations. One day I'll make the trip.

I wouldn't worry about your Etec, they are solid motors. Just as good as a Yamaha.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Hello again gang. Well over a decade has past and it's time to build another boat. I still have the OB17 and it now has over 1000 hours on the engine. I still use her as often as I can and it has never let me down. The hull is still sound and never developed any issues. Most of the usage has been offshore inshore mix. Many years and miles of banging around in the ocean.
Retirement has almost arrived so I am launching into a full time boat build. Going for a larger vessel this time, one that will serve as an occasional overnighter or island explorer.
Around 25 feet will be great. Fishing is still a major focus. Perhaps a Novi??? Will that vessel be a good choice for travel on the ocean. Speed is not a huge concern I have a autopilot on the OB17 and since I fitted that marvellous bit of kit I am happy to cruise at 12 to 15 knots and sit back and relax. Of course fuel economy is important. Maybe the 25 foot version of that hull will be better. Anyhow I prefer a slight flare to the bow and I guess it can be achieved with a bit of modification to the design.
Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back in advance.
Attachments
20220123_161926.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

This is good news! Ready to watch you put a big one together. :wink:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome back guy. Take a look at the DE25 with the long back deck. It should fit your fishing needs just fine and you can sleep and cook over night. Depending on which motor you put on it will cruise at your desired speeds.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Sideslippa1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sideslippa1 »

Well Tom. I was thinking ninety horse power. I have one of those.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sideslippa1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:17 am Well Tom. I was thinking ninety horsepower. I have one of those.
Well that 90 will work just fine with your conservative cruising speeds, Jacques shows top speeds in the mid-20's and those are always a little conservative. So, your wanting to cruise in the low teen's should be perfect with it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978