Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ollie's CX25 (Modified)

Post by OllieK »

Made some good progress the last 2 days. Yesterday I went hardware shopping, got me some new clamps, 33ft tape, boxes of screws etc and that sort of stuff, Also brought a compound mitre saw and a bench grinder just because I could, you know, men and there tools and what not! Had an hour and a half chat with my landlord at the shop, so was lunch time before I started. Only managed to get the strong back built and level and square before it was time to go home and say goodnight to the kids.

Today was a fun day, take what must be the best part of 3 12mm, 1220x2440 sheets of ply and try mount them on your own! nearly killed me I tell you! But managed anyhow, along with station I, H and G. It wasn't until I got station I in place in realised I had not cut the stringer notches out!, well I left it in place and put H and G in as I think it would be wise to take out I and put in once flipped.

Anyone see anything wrong please shout. Not doing anymore now until Saturday as work is calling me!

Ollie

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

I wouldn't put in frame I right now, just my Image
Also I think (not sure) you’re gonne get some trouble (nothing dramatic)at the bow with a jig that wide,I think my frames where almost at the same height as yours, as you can see I had to cut frame A (see pic)
I made my notches in my frames not deep enough but I think yours are to deep the complete height of the stringers if I see it correctly ?

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Just curious anybody knows how this build is going?

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

Peter, Building slow due to work, but should have some good pics after this weekend. Dustin is coming up on Saturday to help.

Ollie

dustin1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dustin1 »

My first experience of boat building! Around 8 hours working with Oliver in the workshop cutting out hull shapes and stations, taping and setting up the next hull station in line.

Some stuff that needed cutting out and joining to start with - Ollie will know what bits of boat these are.

We had planned to modify the side of the house to more of an Express style configuration. This would be a significant (at least in terms of appearance) departure from the plans and resulted in some involved discussion as to what line we should take and the exact curving sweep that would look the sexiest. I liked the narrower sleeker line of a Tides whilst Oliver seemed to prefer a more dramatic curve like a Buddy Davis. This is what we ended up with:

The express style house sides joined up:

Next job was cutting the notches for the stringers in the next station down the line (E?), followed by mounting it on the jig.

Oliver looks over the newly set up station

We finished cutting out the station after that but could not get it set up on the strongback before it was time to go.

Ollie will fill in the more technical aspects later I'm sure.

In the meantime, here's something to keep all of us motivated. I just love this pretty little custom express - not least the surgically white, minimal maintenance exterior finish. It's a long road to go yet and guys like Peter will get there long before us. But this is the carrot that leads us all on.

Incidentally the blue marlin in our fishing area, unlike that tiddler, often will comfortably exceed the beam of Ollie's CC25.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Great progress! Beautiful boat above. I didn't know you could catch marlin in the UK 8) Sweet! That just shows I don't get out enough.
Nice work Dustin.

That is a small Blue, isn't it :doh: But by golly it's a marlin!
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

OllieK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OllieK »

Hello all.

First I would like to say a big thank you to Dustin for taking the time out to join me yesterday, having that extra pair of hand sure did help!

As far as the build goes...

Messed up stations C, D and E, so I have to redraw and recut them! Doh! As a result, things are moving a little slower than planned. What we were able to do yesterday though was mark out and cut the last sheet of ply to make up both of the ends of the bottom, and get them taped up. I now have the whole of the bottom finished. As Dustin mentioned, we also cut the stringer notched in station F and got that mounted and redrew station E and got that cut. As we were waiting for things to cure, we also played around with the combing that will give the boat those sexy lines I am after, and we ended up marking out, cutting and joining them together. All in all, a great days work!

After a call from a friend who runs a charter boat in Madeira today, I found myself running down to the shop to do another few hours work. Station B is all but ready to mount, so just C and D left to go before I can start mounting all the panels on the jig! The thought of 900lb Blue Marlin sure does fire up ones inspiration!

Larry, there are no blues of the UK, although one did get washed up here last year. I do know of someone that is going to spend time looking for them of the most south westerly point of the UK - the scilly isles - after reports over the last couple of years that flying fish have been seen there, who knows???

I will be keeping the boat in Madeira, that's where I do all my fishing, the idea is to catch a blue on a boat that I built with lures that I made with good friends and family... lets wait and see!!

a_Adel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by a_Adel »

can not wait to see her forming
good luck Ollie
any recent update, pics?