MICKS FL12 BUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Looks like ya got a boat there Mick, looks good. You have a lot of the high dollar clamps there. 8)

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That looks great Mick 8) You can never have too many clamps :lol:

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

thanks dogfish, it's nice to walk in to the garage and see something that looks like a boat, instead of a stack of cut up plywood, people are starting to take me a little more seriously now!
part of me wants to slow down and not finish this one too quick and part of me is itching to get to the next one!
thanks for the reply, Mick :lol:

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

woh larry, that is a lot of clamps!!! i'm kicking myself because just before deciding to build the boat i saw similar clamps to those for 1.50 euro a piece.... went back recently.... all gone... typical! :cry:

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Steve

I used clamps to hold three layers of rubrail for both sides to be glued at the same time. I used dowels about every 28 inches to take care of the positioning during assembly. I do understand the clamp issue because of this site. You can never have to many.

Dave

mickmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mickmac »

cheers dave, i was actually thinking about how to keep all the laminates in alignment, the dowel idea seems good, i think i'll use that one!
thanks again, Mick 8O

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

If you just do a layer at a time, you'll never need the dowels; an occasional temporary sheet-rock screw will keep the clamped layers from slipping.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

I think Larry has been out clamped by Hope2float. All one color and perfectly positioned. 8) Were talking 60 + clamps here. :P

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

you can also use drywall screws while the epoxy glue cures. Fill the holes later with epoxy.

I did not use any clamps on the two layers of my FS17 rubrail ...

Just be careful to not over tighten, or you will be left with flat spots - same applies for clamps

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

shine wrote:you can also use drywall screws while the epoxy glue cures. Fill the holes later with epoxy.

I did not use any clamps on the two layers of my FS17 rub rail ...

Just be careful to not over tighten, or you will be left with flat spots - same applies for clamps

Joel, I am assuming that you drill the holes in the rub rail slightly larger than the screw so the rail can float on the screw so you don't squeeze out to much glue :!: