McKee Craft sole replacement/rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: McKee Craft sole replacement/rebuild

Post by FitzFisher »

From what I know, overlaps are always better than butts You have a better chane of making everything seal up nice too. Can't think of any reason not to overlap it actually. Just my two cents.
You are what you is! And I is Done!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Since you have 12oz biax on the seam at the sole and a nice filet there you can do it either way. You'll have a stronger sole to hull bond if you run the cloth up the sides 6" though.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

sam03v
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sam03v »

On Sunday I went ahead and put the cloth over the biax tape. The cloth was 50" wide so it fit nicely(the sole is 50" wide), but it wasn't wide enough to run up the sides. I guess I could have cut it into two pieces...oh well. Now I just need to do a bunch of sanding/fairing/painting/install seats/motor/lights/helm/radio...almost there. :D

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

I thought it was "sand-fair-sand fair-sand -fair (drink a beer) and then repeat" :D
You are what you is! And I is Done!

kryanw

Post by kryanw »

Any progress....I have the same boat and repeating your every step!

KR

sam03v
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sam03v »

kryanw wrote:Any progress....I have the same boat and repeating your every step!

KR
Wow, i thought i was the only one crazy enough to do this with this model boat. Actually I got the sole in and it turned out decent. I'll take some pics this weekend. It came to a screeching halt right before I was going to start the fairing process...had to build a deck on the house and then winter arrived, now a baby on the way and you get the picture...The trickiest part for me was what to do in between those big gussets, but I think it turned out okay. Anyway...good luck!

sam03v
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sam03v »

I've been back at it and will be ready to paint soon. I bought 2 quarts of kiwigrip for the deck surface,( I've only got ~32 sq. feet to cover). Do I need to prime the deck and any surface that is going to get the kiwi grip? :doh: If so could someone please recommend a primer?

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

There's only one primer I'll ever use on a boat and it's the System 3 High Build Primer. I know that Kiwi Grip will stick to it. Primer under Kiwi Grip is not required, but I think it's helpful to get the most even substrate for the paint/KG interface.
CC, D15, V10

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

kiwigrip does not need a primer if its going over glass or gelcoat or paint.

sam03v
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sam03v »

I painted the sole with Kiwigrip a couple days ago and it looks great! (If I do say so myself) I probably could have made the texture thicker since I only used one quart to cover the 8' x 4' area, but I like the results. The only complaint I have is that those rollers that came with the paint are not very durable. Maybe I was pushing to hard to get the thinner layer of paint, but I wasn't expecting the roller to start shedding and coming apart. I still need to finish the gunnels...just waiting on the weather. I'll post some pics on my picassa page soon, if anyone is interested.