PH18 w/tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Don's PH 18 w/tunnel

Post by Uncle D »

Hi Tony, be glad for you to come over. I live near Callicotte and Leopard.

Got a little done this weekend, but not as much as I had hoped. Got all the rubrails on one side and half on the other. They pretty much took care of the side kink. Also got one seam down one the hull. I did find out though, one can never have enough clamps. :wink:
Last edited by Uncle D on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

spkltrt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by spkltrt »

too cool practily neghbors im on shady lane
i'll give you a call perty soon, got goose bumps
cant wait to see the boat .

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Didn't get as much done as I wanted this past weekend. Seemed like one step forward and two back. :x

finishing the rub rails

also managed to tape the center hull seam. could have gotten that a little straighter :oops:

notice the downward pitch of the rub rail toward the bow. I think some of that will come out when the stringers and bulkheads get glued in, although I do like that look.

This weekend I hope to finish glassing the insides and finish the transoms and start on the stringers and bulkheads. Later, Don

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Well the heat is blistering down here and that makes it real hard to get anything done. Worked 3 hours sat. mornin and thought I was going to die. :? Later last week got the inside sanded and prepped.

Forgot to take pics of the glassing on the inside this morning. I'll get those up, but it turned out good. Used about 2 gal of resin to do the inside so I feel I'm right on the 50/50 ratio. On Mon. got the new glassing sanded. When I get up the courage I'll get to working on the stringers and bulkheads. Later Don

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Hey coming along nicely Uncle D.

That downward pitch of the bow is what is known as a droopy bow, it's pretty common with the phantoms. I've also got it, I liked the look of it so left it. The only problem I noticed with it is that your deck panels will also follow that line, so your deck won't be perfectly level. You'll find after you install your bulkheads that the front deck panel will seesaw on top of bulkhead A with about 1/2" play at the outer limits of the deck panel. I just cut bulkhead A down slightly to make the curve less extreme.
If you want to get rid of it, you will need to pull or push the front up a bit before glassing your stringers and bulkheads in and then do it again when you glue your sole and your decks down. I tried to see if I could lift it before putting the decks down, but with the sole and all the cleats in place it wouldn't budge.

But like I said I like the look that's why I left mine - Looks like a Ranger :D

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

BassMunn wrote: If you want to get rid of it, you will need to pull or push the front up a bit before glassing your stringers and bulkheads in and then do it again when you glue your sole and your decks down. I tried to see if I could lift it before putting the decks down, but with the sole and all the cleats in place it wouldn't budge.
YES!! You need to pull up that bow, and do it before glassing the insides. What happens is the weight of the unsupported bow pulls down, it also changed the shape of the bottom so your stringers will no longer fit the contour of the hull. its not too late to fix, but it would have been even easier before the rubrail went on. You can get the shape back easily by blocking up the bow, it will also force the side panels out to their proper shape. I would temporarily put back in the first few molds while I block up the bow so I could confirm the proper shape.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks guys, live and learn. I cut cradles the contour of the bulkheads, mounting on the stiffback, underneath the hull where the bulkheads will be glued in. With 2 layers of glass on the outside and 1 on the inside along with the rubrail, the bow is just too stiff. I did lay a piece of scrape across the rub rails at the front bulkhead and spread the bow and screwed it. This is all I could do to spread it. I'll have to still shape up the stringers and the sides of the forward bulkhead. Pics will come soon. Thanks, Don

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Don,

It does appear that most of my pictures have disappeared from my thread. I suppose it happened when the board was moved to the new server or new format.

My gallery is still available in the "builder galleries" and most all of the pictures are in chronological order. If you care to take a look at them, I believe I put a lot of comments with them as well. I'd be happy to answer any questions as well.

Looking good, and just trying to help.
Tim

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Hey Don, we need an update. Maybe its been too hot to work epoxy. :roll:

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster