MGuel FL12 Build!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Looking okay!

Post by mguel »

Well, today I finished rerouting the areas I patched yesterday do to my router problems. They don't look too bad. I also installed the breast hook and knees. I plan on cutting holes in the knees for fishing rods. I expoxied the entire thing. I still found some drips of expoxy glue here and there that i'll have to address after it dries, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm really running low on epoxy. I'm sure i'll have enough to make filler for the bottom of the rubrails when I flip her and to epoxy coat the sides (bottom has been already). But I'm not sure i'll have enough to use to fair. (I bought some mixed blend from here).

If it comes down to it I'll just buy the smaller kit. Here's some pics.

filled error on rubrail
another view
33" piece I had to replace on rubrail...really can't notice too bad
Breasthook
Rear view
Front view
Knees

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Inside Primed!

Post by mguel »

It's been a slow week for boat building. Nevertheless, I was able to get some progress. I cut out rod holes in the knees. I also was able to do some minor finishing work on the inside...resin on some areas of bare wood, sanding down resing drops, etc. During the week I applied Quickfair to the inside seams. I must say I really enjoyed the ease of using Quickfair. I was very happy with the results. I sanded the quickfair down, ran a final coat of resin over it. FInallly, this morning I sandind the whole thing one final time, vacuumed and wiped it down, and placed 2 coats of Duralux Yacht Primer.

The stuff spreads pretty well. I used a roller and I didn't have too much trouble. Word of caution, when this stuff dries not much out there will take it off...I was hoping the white vinegar trick would work on primer on the hands...nope. I used an old tried but true method also good for giving you cancer....washed with Gasoline! DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME KIDS :wink:

Well, after putting on the primer, I saw some minor drops and high/low spots I missed, but nothing that will bother me because they're staying.

Next stop: Filler on the bottom of the rubrail!

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Inside Painted!

Post by mguel »

Well, I havn't had much time to devote to the boat. And unfortunately grad school is going to be starting up again this month, so I need to get as much done as possible!!! Painting has been one of the most fulfilling parts of the build. I painted the inside white with duralux paint. I also added nonskid areas on the floors in a lighter gray. Here are some pics.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Re: MGuel FL12 Build!

Post by ks8 »

Paint is a wonderful thing! She's lookin' purty. :)

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Found a motor!

Post by mguel »

So, I havn't had time to work on the FL12. Plus I need her flipped and I havn't found anyone to help me yet :cry:

I have been trying to find a used outboard to not much avail. I tried the local classifieds, small shops and retailers, but everyone either sells new or high horsepower engines only. So, I searched the web. This can be scary, especially when shelling out some big bucks. I hit craigslist, but nothing in my price range. So, I decided to place more focus on ebay. I found many outboards for sell. I was looking for a 5 to 10 hp. I didn't care what year just as long as it was either running or easily repairable. Most were running for anywhere between $250 to $600. I was about to place a bid on a 5 hp 1959 Johnson that would start, but had problems with the lower unit for $160.

But then I came across this!
A 1979 Chrysler 7.5 HP motor. According to the seller it's starts easy and runs great. It has forward, neutral, and reverse. He had it up on the first day and was requesting $150 Buy it Now. So, I did. The seller has a great selling track record so that calmed my nerves a bit. It's just crazy that it's a running motor, decent looking, at such a low price. I really hope it runs as good as it looks. I looked online and found some places that can provide parts in case of future problems. The one thing I forgot to ask before I purchased was if it was a short or long shaft! :oops: But I'm hoping that it's a short. If not i'm sure I can sell her for some nice cash after a quick tune-up and cleaning.

I'm really looking forward to getting my FL12 finished and for my outboard to get here and on the boat!

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Getting close! :)

You'll probably never need to push that engine past 1/3 throttle.... 1/2 at the most. It will burn less fuel that way anyway, well, actually, that can be a long discussion if we speak of *efficiency*, depending on the curve for which it was designed, but just think 1/2 throttle and she will be more than sufficient. I think that hull only needs 2 or 3 HP to drive her to hull speed. :D

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mguel »

Yes, I read that a 5 hp would be sufficient. I did make this boat a little heavier by glassing the entire bottom and adding some extra glass on some seams on the inside which were not required for on the plans. But thanks for that. I've only been on boats a handful of times and have never driven one on my own. I plan on getting a buddy of mine who's a lot more boat savvy to take her out with and give me some pointers and tips on boating.

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

How thick is your transom? For my fl14 I bought a new mercury 4hp four stroke for $999. The clamps would not tighten up enough so I had to add 3/4" more clamping thickness at the transom.
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

mguel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mguel »

I doubled my transom from what was requested. I also plan on making a block to place on the inside either 1/2 or a 1/4 inch thick not really for strength, but to keep the clamps from denting/scratchin the inside transom :D

JBing
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBing »

WOW 7.5 hp! What is the weight? I thought I was pushing it with a 4.5 hp motor with a tripled transom. My Seagull weighs 35 lbs and it scares me to death :lol: Not too long ago I had a dream that my transom tore off, the motor continued on its way as the boat and I began to sink :lol: Thats a great buy on the the outboard though! Running or not they are pretty easy to work on, if I were you I wouldnt worry.