Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

Post by TomW »

Mike that's good news! There is no need to bevel as you are going to be leaving a nice 1/8" approximately to 1/4" gap between the panels when you pull them together anyway.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

prowlerblue wrote: Has anyone heard of beveling the panels for a better fit? I believe Devlins book on Stitch and Glue emphasizes this. I will keep you updated on my progress. It is good to know I have your support here at this site. Hopefully I will be of some help to someone. Mike
Thats good for a wood joint, but not for our composite joints. In a composite joint with a core material (plywood) you do NOT wnat a tight fit. Ideally you have a constant small gap that is filled with epoxy putty before the glass skins go on.

This is ideal....

FS12 gaps...

FS17 gaps...

you dont have to be even close to as perfect as those gaps, they were cut by a CNC machine, but you get the idea. Having edges of the inside faces of the panel barely touching or a tiny gap is ideal. This allows you to fill the gap with epoxy putty, then round over that putty before glassing

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Don't forget to put some tape on the inside otherwise you spill a lot of epoxy mix! and it save's a lot off cleaning up time :wink:

prowlerblue
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by prowlerblue »

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. The pictures from Shine are a big help. Seeing a picture answers all questions. The taping of the inside is also a great idea to save epoxy, and prevent a mess. I will keep you posted on my progress.