Page 1 of 1

Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:35 am
by prowlerblue
It has been awhile since I have posted. Have the framing jig complete and the panels all cut and was planning on gluing the panels together this morning ,when I discovered I miscut the bow bottom panels. They are off by over a inch. Instead of 30 1/8", they are 28 1/4". I have tried to be carefull and measure and remeasure before cutting, but still managed to screw up. I think I will need to order two more sheets of marine ply and recut these two panels. Chalk up this expensive mistake to a first build major goof. I have sta :doh: rted to take pictures of my build and will start posting them when I figure out how to create a album.

Re: Mike's OB15 Build : Bottom Panel Goof

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:09 pm
by sds
You might be able to work out a patch, with a butt block or glass.

If you post a picture showing the panels laid out with the gap, maybe someone who knows what they're doing (not me) could save you having to order new ply.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:50 pm
by prowlerblue
Thanks for the encouragement SDS, I will lay out the panels and post them. Mike

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:23 pm
by cape man
Don't panic (yet). You can do amazing things with epoxy! :D :D

Load the pictures on your computer in an easy to find place (I have a file called "boat" where everything goes). There's a tutorial on how to upload them from there, but if you run into problems someone here can help.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:16 pm
by cape man
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13991

the link above has the instructions for posting pics.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm
by Cracker Larry
Don't panic (yet). You can do amazing things with epoxy!

Yep, don't panic yet. Is the missisng area at the chine edge or sheer? If it's at the chine there will be several layers of tape and cloth covering over it, so just glueing on a filler strip of plywood will work fine. I've been know to do it, and it's still holding :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:50 am
by tech_support
where are the panel off? Depending where the mistake was made, we may be able to recommend a fix.

The bottom panel is easy to add the transom end, but towards the bow its nearly impossible as the panel takes a twist. A spliced piece will not take a twist (at least a fair twist).

Joel

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:17 pm
by prowlerblue
Thanks you all for your suggestions and encouragement. :D I found the goof. I undercut the stern piece of the bottom panel. Found this out by checking all of my measurements the next day, with a clear mind. This can be cut right this weekend, and I can start joining the panels together. I do have a question. Has anyone heard of beveling the panels for a better fit? I believe Devlins book on Stitch and Glue emphasizes this. I will keep you updated on my progress. It is good to know I have your support here at this site. Hopefully I will be of some help to someone. Mike

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:33 pm
by peter-curacao
prowlerblue wrote:Thanks you all for your suggestions and encouragement. :D I found the goof. I undercut the stern piece of the bottom panel.
That's what I thought :wink:

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 pm
by cape man
Great news! Glad it was that end and you're back on track. Will let others answer as well, but the bevel isn't needed as a gap is a good thing...yeah, I know it just doesn't make sense, but it's true. The epoxy filling is actually stronger than the wood up against itself. Makes cutting and gluing real easy.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:24 am
by TomW
Mike that's good news! There is no need to bevel as you are going to be leaving a nice 1/8" approximately to 1/4" gap between the panels when you pull them together anyway.

Tom

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 am
by tech_support
prowlerblue wrote: Has anyone heard of beveling the panels for a better fit? I believe Devlins book on Stitch and Glue emphasizes this. I will keep you updated on my progress. It is good to know I have your support here at this site. Hopefully I will be of some help to someone. Mike
Thats good for a wood joint, but not for our composite joints. In a composite joint with a core material (plywood) you do NOT wnat a tight fit. Ideally you have a constant small gap that is filled with epoxy putty before the glass skins go on.

This is ideal....

FS12 gaps...

FS17 gaps...

you dont have to be even close to as perfect as those gaps, they were cut by a CNC machine, but you get the idea. Having edges of the inside faces of the panel barely touching or a tiny gap is ideal. This allows you to fill the gap with epoxy putty, then round over that putty before glassing

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 am
by peter-curacao
Don't forget to put some tape on the inside otherwise you spill a lot of epoxy mix! and it save's a lot off cleaning up time :wink:

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:19 pm
by prowlerblue
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. The pictures from Shine are a big help. Seeing a picture answers all questions. The taping of the inside is also a great idea to save epoxy, and prevent a mess. I will keep you posted on my progress.