OB19 build in Texas - I accidentally deleted my gallery They're trying to restore.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OB19 build in Texas

Post by Lucky_Louis »

In the application you describe, I agree completely Steven. The brads will be in place prior to encapsulation, then covered by fillet or cleat with more epoxy. No reason to remove, they won't cause any issues in our lifetimes. That said, most will also agree that using screws to clamp pieces temporarily then remove and fill is a better solution. Drill and pinning with a wood dowel is about the most elegant solution. They all work, some are just 'preferred'. I guess it depends on how much we value our time and where our priorities lie.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

Lucky_Louis wrote:In the application you describe, I agree completely Steven. The brads will be in place prior to encapsulation, then covered by fillet or cleat with more epoxy. No reason to remove, they won't cause any issues in our lifetimes. That said, most will also agree that using screws to clamp pieces temporarily then remove and fill is a better solution. Drill and pinning with a wood dowel is about the most elegant solution. They all work, some are just 'preferred'. I guess it depends on how much we value our time and where our priorities lie.

Thanks. I prefer to use the most expedient methods that don't sacrifice quality. I used screws to clamp the transom. I thought about nailing the doublers to the frames where the cock pit glues down, but already decided against that. Not sure I would sufficiently fill/cover the tiny holes.

Thought I'd get the 3rd stringer glued tonight,but came home last night to a leaky washing machine. Had to put on a replacement pump tonight, and while at the parts store i picked up an add on filter for the refrigerator ice/water dispenser. The city water is getting poor.

I'll get the other two done the next two nights. That will leave me Saturday to install the frames on the strongback, and maybe start stitching. By Monday night I expect to have it taped and covered in cloth.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Got the stringers cut today. Glad to not find any voids. Glue up looks good. Got the uprights on the strongback set and base line marked with a water level. I started at the transom and first picked a height that won't be too high to work on, but still allow access underneath for stiching. Got to the bow station and found the height a little too low. The sheer slopes up relative to the Baseline (top of sole), so the bow mold is the tallest. A bit too tall. Since I'm using a temp mold for the bow station, I lopped off enough to get it down to the baseline marked on the frame. Tomorrow I'll get the frames mounted and should have it stiched. Maybe Monday if I decide not to work all day. I'll post pics tomorrow of the frames installed and then of an upside down boat.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Got the building frame completed. Threw up the bottome panels and found a boneheaded screw up. When i measured the bottome panels, I mis read the stern cut, so the outside corners are 2" short. :oops: Now I have to cut off a foot or so and splice in a new piece to correct.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... re_019.jpg

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

found a boneheaded screw up
That's great. Seriously! Why? Because you learned that in S&G building, there's nothing a little glass, a liitle epoxy, and a little pondering can't solve. There's no bending in that area so the only down side is some more fairing or fussing. No sweat.

The mold looks great. I would think about laying another brace or two to lock down the tip of the bow mold so it can't flex left or right. Maybe a 2"x4" on the flat from the tip to the front corners of the strongback? That should clear the side panels.

Steven

Post by Steven »

I don't know about great, But it was easily fixed. I've got the bottom panels on and loosely stitched on the back half. Good suggestion on the brace. Thanks.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Here she is all stitched together. Everything lined up good.

Not much working room.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Looks good. Very satisfying to see a boat form right in front of your eyes, isn't it? :D

:doh: I know it's probably your camera lens but keep an eye peeled on the fairness of your chine lines and the keel line. In the photo it looks like the transom is drooping. I recall having to fiddle a bit with the ties about 2' forward of the transom to get the OB17 to lay flat. A little piece of dowel in the gap can help when two pieces meet at an angle to stop one from trying to overlap the other. Now is time to get everything true and fair before locking in the hull shape with glue and tape.

smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by smilinmatt »

Something must be wrong. The way I remember it, stitching it together involves stitching, cutting out the stitches, restitching, cutting out the stitches, lots of swearing, throwing and kicking things. 3 or 4 hours later everything lines up good. :D

Looks good, and it looks like it didn't take you too many stitches.

Steven

Post by Steven »

smilinmatt wrote:
Something must be wrong. The way I remember it, stitching it together involves stitching, cutting out the stitches, restitching, cutting out the stitches, lots of swearing, throwing and kicking things. 3 or 4 hours later everything lines up good. :D

Looks good, and it looks like it didn't take you too many stitches.
Not too many. Still have to add a few to the rear chines, but need to do a little trimming first. I had a hump in the bottom of the side panels. You can see it in the last picture. I noticed it after scribing them and rechecked the measurements. Came out ok so I assumed it would work itself out. I trimmed on the right side sparingly and got more aggressive on the left. The left is looking good. Gonna trim the same on the right and it's ready for glue. After negotiating the underbelly to duct tape the seems. :)