AR15 in Ohio

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AR15 in Ohio

Post by chrisobee »

It is best to use the very best material that you can afford. I've never heard anyone complain that they used the best material.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

YAY! I finally got my materials! Too bad it was all beaten to hell getting here...

Just kidding! The corners are kind of beaten up and the top/bottom sheetshave some gouges but I ordered extra and the rest is alright. I am surprised I got off so easy; the guys at the freight depot were the laziest, most careless guys I have ever seen. I can't believe that any packages are able to make their way out of that place unbroken.

Like I said, most of the damage is on the top/bottom sheets and I have extra. I will probably use the dinged ones for practice.

And so it begins...

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Well, that's not good. The good news is that the corners are probably the least used bits. You can probably work around the other divots so I would guess that its not as bad as you might think.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Like Chris said, you should be able to work around those bad spots, but it is a drag. For my V10, I had a sheet with bad blemishes from the factory and had to rework the nesting to make it work out to where the blemishes weren't a part of my boat. I kind of went about it the hard way and drew the lines on the sheet 2 or 3 times before I realized that the end result was simply flipping the panel over as drawn on the sheet. You're probably making sawdust already. Have fun. :D
CC, D15, V10

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

I am off work for the rest of the year because they will not let me roll over vacation. Guess I'll focus on the boat. I believe I have everything that I need, but prep work continues. I have built a loft to get my plywood off the ground because space is limited. I am also going to hang some type of divider so I am not heating the whole garage... Which brings me to my first major oversight of the project: I bought slow hardener because I figured I'd need the extra time being a newbie. However, because of the temps I'm working in I should have gotten fast hardener. I am not even sure the slow hardener will work at all with normal garage temps. I am going to get a thermometer for the garage and then refer to this page http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/cure_times.php. Depending on the temp I am even considering ordering fast hardener.

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

I am also going to hang some type of divider so I am not heating the whole garage...
If you can get it just a tad over 60 you'll be fine. I use nothing but slow. You could mix a little bit of fast to the slow. When you mix, spend a little extra time with it in the pot before you spread it thin to let the reaction get started.
Paul
V12, CK17, FL12, FS14
Build em' right, build em' light.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=10167

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

Alright - I've had some problems with the temperature but I think I've mostly figured that out. Well, I hope so because I did my first fiberglass seam with some scrap plywood. I'll be checking on how it turns out shortly.

I also got a lot of work done on the jig that I'm making for this. I know it is not required but it gave me a lot of opportunities to practice.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Congrats on the first cuts! :D

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

I haven't actually cut my okume yet!. I'm too scared!

Heh, that will be coming shortly. I think I'm going to actually cut the real transom.

jsriolo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jsriolo »

Progress on the jig...