OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 in Arizona

Post by Dougster »

Larry B wrote: I'm not very fast, But I sure am slow :D
I may have you beat on that slow thing. I mean, heck, you know how to use a router! Mine just scares me to death is all :lol: Seriously, that was a helpful post for me. Way better than my way (cut one, use it to trace the next, cut that one proud of the line, plane it down, repeat...). Jeez, I never considered a router :oops:

Got that slow thing down Dougster

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I'm glad it helps you Dougster. Just be VERY CAREFUL, and make sure you have a sharp router bit. Just so you know, the router turns clockwise, so if you go left to right it will pull the router into the guide piece, if you go right to left it will want to wander away from the guide piece. The good thing about the bearing on top of the cutter, you can take just alittle bit off at a time. If the bearing is on the bottom you have to cut all the way the first time as your guide piece is on the bottom. But either way make sure you have a very good grip on the router and don't try to do the cut too fast. I've had them get away from me and it's not pretty, and the wood it chews up on the way isn't pretty either :help: But if all it chews up is wood, Well thats a good thing.
Completed: FL14, OD18

Murry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Murry »

The router is one of my favorite tools for sure. Nice looking work Larry and great choice on the OD, they are great looking boats as you already know.

Daniel

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Quick question? Is 19 inch's sufficient overlap on the stringer lamination? I'm thinking it is and hoping it is as thats all I can get :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's plenty 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

CL, thanks for the quick answer.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Well not much happening. Got one stringer glued up. Thats all the epoxy I had left over from my FL14 build. Getting the big package tomorrow and I'll glue the other stringer up. Got most of my molds cut out. After the stringers are done I'll get the side panels cut and then the floor and get it glued up. Hope to get some progress this next week. The heat came back to AZ and had to turn on the A/C in the shop, but usually just in the afternoon. It's nice and cool in the mornings but of course thats the time the dog wants to take a walk out in the desert :roll: And I really need the exercise too and gets me in the mood to work on the boat when we get back home.
I hope to get some pictures up this week.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I need some input from some more experienced builders. I'm trying to plan ahead (never done that before) and anyway here is a picture of the spray rail I'm thinking about? I will mount it on the lower panel at the style line, then my upper panel will sit into the 1/4" groove. Do you think this will work? I'm pretty confident in it, but I might be missing something?? I could also install it tempory while installing the upper panel.
Any input will be appreciated.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I think that would work fine Larry. My only thought is if that is low enough, but with the OD I think it will be fine.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Got a question here. I've noticed others drilling the stringer for a 2" conduit. That is aprox. a 2 3/8" hole in the stringer. The stringer is Only 5 1/2"- 6". I'm not ready to drill but just getting my thoughts in order, so if someone can educate me on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks