OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 in Arizona..SPLASHED..

Post by Larry B »

Thanks,
Eric, AA and Glossyblack

Glossy, yes awhile back everyone was discussing spray rails so I thought I'd get a video of it. Glad you liked it :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Been cleaning her up and wanted to show a picture of her after 8 years of boating.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Larry B, would you send me a few more photos of your OD18? I would like to use her on our main website for a couple of weeks!! Thank you in advance, Jeff (jeff@e-boat.net)

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:48 pm Larry B, would you send me a few more photos of your OD18? I would like to use her on our main website for a couple of weeks!! Thank you in advance, Jeff (jeff@e-boat.net)
Jeff, I emailed you some pictures, thanks for showing off my boat :D

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

That's a great looking boat! Nice pics too.

Bogie

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Larry, the boat still looks great even after eight years on the water. It was yours and Capemans build log along with Cracker Larry's advice that inspired me to start building my dory. So, a quick question. After eight years of service and sailing her, is there anything you would have done differently or is she perfect as she is?
Alan.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm Hi Larry, the boat still looks great even after eight years on the water. It was yours and Capemans build log along with Cracker Larry's advice that inspired me to start building my dory. So, a quick question. After eight years of service and sailing her, is there anything you would have done differently or is she perfect as she is?
First thanks for the compliment :D

Yes, a couple of minor things, the 60HP works good but I would go with more HP
I would have made my rub rails narrower, I always think bigger is better, in this case not so much, my rubber rub rails didn't reach to the top of the gunwales and it keeps getting dinged right there.

Other than that she is everything I wanted.

By the way, it was Cracker Larry's and Capemans that I copied from and then just put some minor details that fit my needs.

Larry B

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

She's looking good with the age.
I am hoping to repower mine this year with a 70 Yamaha. The 40 does fine with two people and some gear, but she bogs down with three or more.
I also would raise the sole an inch, if building decks console, etc. With just me in, the water comes in the scuppers . Easy to drain on plane, but another inch would solve it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Personally, I would think you would be a fool to sell that boat for 12k.

Just compare it to a Whaler Montauk cc in good condition. Those are all around 15-20k and some cosmetics even at that. I realize the cult following, but the boat you built is pretty sharp looking.

Value proposition.

Unless it just ain't there. Sure looked good to me.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 am Personally, I would think you would be a fool to sell that boat for 12k.

Just compare it to a Whaler Montauk cc in good condition. Those are all around 15-20k and some cosmetics even at that. I realize the cult following, but the boat you built is pretty sharp looking.

Value proposition.

Unless it just ain't there. Sure looked good to me.
Thanks for the input fallguy,
seems as I don't "HAVE" to sell it, I'm gonna hang on to it for awhile. My wife doesn't even want me to sell it as she watched and helped me build her.
I'll just use it when I can.
Maybe the grandkids will end up with it afterall :D
Larry B