Plywood Transom Replacement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Plywood Transom Replacement

Post by tech_support »

Here is a link to our new tutorial on replacing a plywood transom....

http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/tra ... /index.php

fisher3434
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Plywood Transom Replacement

Post by fisher3434 »

can a person do that to an older skagit boat. i'm new to this and i'd like to this right.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

fisher3434 wrote:can a person do that to an older skagit boat. i'm new to this and i'd like to this right.
Can you please provide some details on the boat in question? The tutorial is general in nature, the methods will work with 90% of production fiberglass boats.

26marked
New Poster
New Poster

Post by 26marked »

Thank you shine! Been looking for this for ages...

RonGinger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RonGinger »

Why not repair a transom by removing the outside glass? That seems a lot simpler than all the cutting form the inside.

It would take a bit more effort to get a nice smooth finish on the outside, but I still think it would be less than the inside job.

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave »

You need to tab the transom core into the sides and bottom of the hull. And have layers of glass overlapping onto the sides. I guess you could do it from the outside but it would be nearly impossible to fair the transition and make it look right.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I just made a post regarding this .....
You cut the outside skin :( this makes it Very difficult to do a good job

It not impossible, but you have to bed a new core into the inside skin (that is the easy part) then laminate a new outside skin over the core so that is is tied into the hull. the small lip around the edge is not a lot of area to bond the new skin - this is the problem with going from the outside. You can try to wrap the new skin around the side and up the bottom to give it a good overlap, but then you have the problem of faring it in so it looks decent and you have to laminate upside down on the bottom. Most people who go from the outside only overlap the new skin out to the edge of the transom and this is very suspect in my opinion - its no where near as strong as the original skin or a repair done from the inside

Epoxy will give you the best bond, and on such a small area of bonding that will be even more important. Our marinepoxy is more than adequate for this repair. You need to build back the original thickness, we have an epoxy compatible 1708 that will do a good on this.

Here is the epoxy http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=41

and here is the 1708 http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... _bias_1708

I don't mean to be such a downer, but I want to make sure others who read this know what the might be getting into. We always recommend going from the inside